ESPN's Future Power Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN's Future Power Rankings

Which college basketball programs are best set up for future success? Our panel of experts -- Paul Biancardi, Jay Bilas, Fran Fraschilla, John Gasaway, Jeff Goodman, Seth Greenberg, Andy Katz and Miles Simon -- ranks the top 25 for the next three seasons.

Interesting stuff. ESPN predicts who the top 25 teams will be over the next three years. WSU is #22, between Memphis and UCLA.

Some notables not in the top 25: Oklahoma State, Butler, Creighton, UConn, Mizzou, NC State, and no teams from Texas. Some surprises that are included: Maryland #18 and UVA #24.
    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Let the rage start at this quote.

The program has tremendous support, Marshall is considered a good X's and O's coach, and although talent and recruiting were both somewhat low, he and his staff still do a nice job by mid-major standards. --Jeff *******
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
      I wonder, which team we encountered in the tournament, considered the talent "somewhat low", even by non mid-major standards. Indeed, it seemed to me, the talent was high enough to reduce some to tears.

But there are still those who are bitter, I suppose, ******* perhaps chief among them.

Comment

******* doesn't appear to be very respected among his peers. Gary Parrish and Greg Doyel have taken shots at him on twitter.
        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

What an inane statement!

Doing a "nice job by mid-major standards" is what the ISU Red's of the world do. Hell, it's what the Creighton's of the world do. We have a packed house considered one of the top 10 home courts, a coach getting paid (at the very least) median BCS money, and are just off of a F4 trip where an honest argument could be made that we realistically could've taken the whole cookie. That's doing "a nice job by" HIGH-major standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
            http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-coll...-three-seasons

Interesting stuff. ESPN predicts who the top 25 teams will be over the next three years. WSU is #22, between Memphis and UCLA.

Some notables not in the top 25: Oklahoma State, Butler, Creighton, UConn, Mizzou, NC State, and no teams from Texas. Some surprises that are included: Maryland #18 and UVA #24.
            Pretty awesome to included in these rankings.

The future is certainly bright!!
            "It is OVER... Ladies and Gentleman, say it slow and savor it... Wichita State is going to the Final Four for the first time in 48 years." - Mike Kennedy

Comment

Yes, a backhanded compliment at best. ******* is an "at this level" kind of guy. Although his writing and critical analysis are both somewhat low, he still does a nice job by sports writing standards...
              "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
                What an inane statement!

Doing a "nice job by mid-major standards" is what the ISU Red's of the world do. Hell, it's what the Creighton's of the world do. We have a packed house considered one of the top 10 home courts, a coach getting paid (at the very least) median BCS money, and are just off of a F4 trip where an honest argument could be made that we realistically could've taken the whole cookie. That's doing "a nice job by" HIGH-major standards.
                The use of the term is certainly a sign of ignorance on his part. But expect to see it used even more now that the conferences have re-aligned and teams like VCU, Butler, and Creighton have been admitted to the country club.

All we can do is embrace it (to an extent) and enjoy the looks on those BCS bastards faces when we exceed (their) expectations once more... The looks on the faces of the Pitt,Gonzaga and Ohio State players after defeat is something I look forward to again this year.

Having said that, the fact that were are on the list AND it projects for the next 3 years should more than outweigh the comments of *******.. :good:

GO SHOX!! :bball_spin:
                Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

******* is a mid-major writer.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                    The use of the term is certainly a sign of ignorance on his part. But expect to see it used even more now that the conferences have re-aligned and teams like VCU, Butler, and Creighton have been admitted to the country club.

All we can do is embrace it (to an extent) and enjoy the looks on those BCS bastards faces when we exceed (their) expectations once more... The looks on the faces of the Pitt,Gonzaga and Ohio State players after defeat is something I look forward to again this year.

Having said that, the fact that were are on the list AND it projects for the next 3 years should more than outweigh the comments of *******.. :good:

GO SHOX!! :bball_spin:
                    Wouldn't you consider VCU to be still in the same boat we are?

And the next few years will be very indicative of the caste of the new BE; it will either be admitted to the high-major hierarchy, or simply be labeled as "the best of the mid-major conferences." There's an equal shot a either happening really, and I'd lean to some version of the latter actually fleshing out in reality.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                      I don't know if I would even give him credit as a writer. Maybe a mid major 'contributor' to a publication.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        Perhaps, but he does play a mean clarinet.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                          I don't know if I would even give him credit as a writer. Maybe a mid major 'contributor' to a publication.
                          I thought about that after I posted. Contributor? Analyst? Dumbass? Wait, he's a high-major dumbass! But I was feeling nice as I almost said low-major writer.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                            ******* doesn't appear to be very respected among his peers. Gary Parrish and Greg Doyel have taken shots at him on twitter.
                            A number of those guys give each other a hard time on twitter.

******* was an okay college b-ball writer with CBS. Then ESPN picked him up and now everything he writes is golden (ie. "insider" access only). But he's not one of the better national CBB writers, IMO, and he proves it with crap like what was quoted above.

Since I don't have insider access I watched the accompanying video with Katz, O'Neill and ******* where they discuss which teams should worry about staying in those rankings. Katz thinks WSU should worry because he isn't sure Marshall can keep bringing talent in. O'Neill picked VCU and ******* chose Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                              Katz thinks WSU should worry because he isn't sure Marshall can keep bringing talent in. O'Neill picked VCU and ******* chose Oregon.
                              That was kind of funny, wasn't it? With the F4 in our back pocket, and now Forbes on staff, how could anyone look at us and think we might be headed for a downward trend in recruiting?

Comment

Working...
                              X