No announcement yet.

CU Post Game Comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for proving my point the Shox were really bad team Smithson inherited, and still think the team Turgeon had less talent than this group.

I also agree that it is hard to compare the two because I would bet cousnards numbers would have been higher if he add played with Perez's team mates. Also the fact that Turgeon's team were more team oriented with mostly years the high scorer averaging about 12 a game.
    Pass the Doughnuts!

Comment

Originally posted by Fatguy
      Thanks for proving my point the Shox were really bad team Smithson inherited, and still think the team Turgeon had less talent than this group.

I also agree that it is hard to compare the two because I would bet cousnards numbers would have been higher if he add played with Perez's team mates. Also the fact that Turgeon's team were more team oriented with mostly years the high scorer averaging about 12 a game.
      i agree wih you especially when you take account all the injuries we have this year
      Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Ricky, in terms of talent, I think MT left a decent senior class. Had we had a fully functioning Ogirri, it would have been a very good senior class. He left two other players in Mekel and Durley that have made some impact this year, and may make a significant impact in their careers. But I think his sophomore and junior classes can be rated as Ds at best. That being said, I feel like he left more talent than Thompson or Cohen or Smithson, but I don't know if the numbers bear that out, which is why I suggested an analysis I am interested in but unwilling to take the time to do myself!

In terms of facilities and reputation of the program (on and off the court), I think he left the program in better shape than any coach, other than perhaps Ralph Miller.

I think only three coaches in the modern era have left a "winner": Miller, G. Smithson, Turgeon. Of those three, Turgeon unquestionably left the least talent. But I think he left more than those who were fired (other than Gene).
        Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
          It's tough to compare the 2. There weren't 2 players outside of Jason that would have even made one of PJ's teams.

That being said, Jason's numbers are FAR better than PJ's.

ALL TIME, Jason is #6 in scoring, 1 in steals and #10 in assists. He was also a solid rebounder and a really good defender.

I love PJ, but Jason was a better player. If he would have played with the talent PJ had......wow. He made everyone better....much better. They were just bad to begin with.
          The aspect of Jason's play, which I loved, was his nose for the ball. Usually, these words are reserved for a linebacker or safety, but they fit Jason so well.

He just understood what the opponents were doing on offense. He was so uncanny in his steals.

Also, he had a nose for the ball in rebounding too.

He was just a great ball player for the Shockers.

Plus and most of all, he is a very fine person.

Comment

agreed
            Pass the Doughnuts!

Comment

Originally posted by wsu789
              Ricky, in terms of talent, I think MT left a decent senior class. Had we had a fully functioning Ogirri, it would have been a very good senior class. He left two other players in Mekel and Durley that have made some impact this year, and may make a significant impact in their careers. But I think his sophomore and junior classes can be rated as Ds at best. That being said, I feel like he left more talent than Thompson or Cohen or Smithson, but I don't know if the numbers bear that out, which is why I suggested an analysis I am interested in but unwilling to take the time to do myself!

In terms of facilities and reputation of the program (on and off the court), I think he left the program in better shape than any coach, other than perhaps Ralph Miller.

I think only three coaches in the modern era have left a "winner": Miller, G. Smithson, Turgeon. Of those three, Turgeon unquestionably left the least talent. But I think he left more than those who were fired (other than Gene).
              Four, Eddie Fogler.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatguy
                Perez was a great player but remind me how many NCAA tournaments, sweet 16's, and NIT's did he go to? It does kill us now that Matt is hurt. I'm to lazy to look it up but I would think Cousnards career numbers are similar to Perez's. I think it's more of the fact of a coaching change that is making it so difficult this year. It happens just about everywhere when there is a coaching change no matter the level or level of talent. Marshall will be great but do really believe that we would be 2-9 in the Valley if Turgeon was still here?

Yes I do like to CHEW THE FAT also from time to time... I mean I'm the fatguy after all!
                What an ignorant statement. Would you say the same about Mo Evans because he wasn’t going to win either with the lack of supporting players during that era?

Comment

In my mind I’ve always compared PJ and Jason and wondered to myself who the better player was. And as fine as a players as PJ is, it’s hands-down Perez. He could do it all, but the biggest difference between the two is their offensive abilities. Perez was one of the best outside shooters in the program’s history and PJ isn’t even in the same league on that side of the ball. And as RDR very well stated, Perez had a nose for the ball. While he wasn’t very athletic, I believe he remains WSU’s steals leader.

PJ is a great player who we are very fortunate to have in this program but he’s a notch below Perez, Miller and Wilson.

Comment

Good catch, Doc. You are right of course. Fogler left a winner. I know that it is not the popular sentiment, but my recollection is that he left a fair amount of talent behind, although several players transferred either after his (Cohen's) hiring or after his first season. I guess I don't really have a good enough base of knowledge or memory to know whether Fogler or Turgeon left more talent.
                    Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Working...
                    X