Ron Baker's Role This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron Baker's Role This Year

I've tried to avoid getting too hyped about Baker. He did look like one of the better SG's in the NCAA tourney as a Fr. Arch Madness has produced some results that scream out that you should never get too excited over what happens in a brief stretch of games. I've pplied that philosophy to Baker. I expect him to be good, but I'm not looking for superhero stuff.

Now I'm looking at Murry getting NBA looks as a PG. With Bowles problem, Baker is likely to get significant minutes at PG. I'm thinking Baker will do very well in that role.

Baker could turn out to be a 3 shooter who can play PG.

I think Murry makes it to the NBA. I think Early doesn't have to deal with the D-League. I think Baker can be the next Shock to go NBA. About that time, I expect the NBA will be looking hard at Orukpe.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    I've tried to avoid getting too hyped about Baker. He did look like one of the better SG's in the NCAA tourney as a Fr. Arch Madness has produced some results that scream out that you should never get too excited over what happens in a brief stretch of games. I've pplied that philosophy to Baker. I expect him to be good, but I'm not looking for superhero stuff.

Now I'm looking at Murry getting NBA looks as a PG. With Bowles problem, Baker is likely to get significant minutes at PG. I'm thinking Baker will do very well in that role.

Baker could turn out to be a 3 shooter who can play PG.

I think Murry makes it to the NBA. I think Early doesn't have to deal with the D-League. I think Baker can be the next Shock to go NBA. About that time, I expect the NBA will be looking hard at Orukpe.
    You had me till orukpe.

Comment

My four year old son, catches a ball better than EO. Like the guy, but you can't play in the Association if you can't catch the ball. I don't care how great a defender you are, you have to be somewhat of a threat on the offensive end (which he is not).
      "It is OVER... Ladies and Gentleman, say it slow and savor it... Wichita State is going to the Final Four for the first time in 48 years." - Mike Kennedy

Comment

I hear you on Baker. Maybe the same can be said for the expectations of the entire team. If the team doesn't have one of the best shooting performances of all time during the last 7 or so minutes of the Gonzaga game our expectations would be drastically different. The fact is, they did play amazing in the tournament, but it remains to be seen if that is who they are, or just what they did.
        “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
        -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Ehimen will have a couple of years of doing nothing but playing basketball and working on things and he's going to get more PT than he did here. He can and will improve. I won't be the least bit surprised if he eventually starts getting some NBA looks down the road.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

And Baker is a flat out baller.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Jimmer Fredette played 69 games with the Kings last year, mostly at PG, averaging 14 minutes, 7.2 points, and 1.3 assists per game. The year before, his numbers were a bit higher in slightly more time per game.

By the time Ron Baker is finished at WSU (and many would argue sooner than that), he'll be a better player than Fredette -- quite possibly much better. He's already a better athlete and defender.

Comment

Hard to know at this point, but I think RB will have a decision to make following his junior year about declaring for the draft.
                Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

I really, really like Ron Baker in a Shocker uniform. But let's remember he hasn't played half a season of D1 basketball games. In the games he did play his production was inconsistent. To say he's going to be better than Jimmer Fredette and possibly and early entrant into the draft is being way too premature, in my opinion.

Now that the word is out and Ron won't be under the radar, if he plays a full season this year and averages double-figure points with solid secondary stats, then I'll consider jumping on the Baker-to-the-NBA bandwagon.

Comment

God I love the offseason!! You people are crazy!! Baker is a very solid player but any talk of him going to the NBA at this point is flat out crazy. I sure hope you guys are right and I am wrong because that will more than likely mean even greater things for our program. I see Ron as a 13-15 ppg player during his junior and senior year and that's not going to be good enough to catch the eyes of NBA scouts.

Comment

Ron seems like a good guy, so this hopefully won't be an issue...but if the early NBA thing doesn't happen, the vultures could still come out. Ron would be a fifth-year senior...which means if he graduates in four, he could transfer without sitting out. Again, I am confident that this is not a worry and that Ron would not consider such a thought....but it doesn't mean that schools wouldn't try (I'm looking to the northeast part of this fine state).
                      78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                        Ron seems like a good guy, so this hopefully won't be an issue...but if the early NBA thing doesn't happen, the vultures could still come out. Ron would be a fifth-year senior...which means if he graduates in four, he could transfer without sitting out. Again, I am confident that this is not a worry and that Ron would not consider such a thought....but it doesn't mean that schools wouldn't try (I'm looking to the northeast part of this fine state).
                        Smh

Comment

You don't leave the school that had to ask for your ring size.

Edit: For another school that is.
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I agree...but it wouldn't stop schools from trying. It was rumored that KU sent inquiries to people around Kyle Weems.
                            78-65

Comment

I agree...but it wouldn't stop schools from trying. It was rumored that KU sent inquiries to people around Kyle Weems.
                              That was more like a rescue operation than it was poaching.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                              X