No announcement yet.

Player taken to hospital?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The AEDS is a sweet life saving monitor device. I was trained to use it and it is a great device. It literally talks you through the process and it is damn near fool proof. I doubt that any of the news folks were that close to know if any stimulus was needed. Its great that this device is available to our student athletes to help if something like this occurs. My family's prayers go out to DJ and his family.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
      The AEDS is a sweet life saving monitor device. I was trained to use it and it is a great device. It literally talks you through the process and it is damn near fool proof. I doubt that any of the news folks were that close to know if any stimulus was needed. Its great that this device is available to our student athletes to help if something like this occurs. My family's prayers go out to DJ and his family.
      You said a mouthful there. While we're at it, go ahead and send a thankful message to Dr. Arch Diack.

Comment

ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

It will be interesting to see what the real truth is of whether he just "blacked out" per the USA today story, or was "revived" as per some of the local media.

Comment

Statement from ADES

"I want to commend athletic trainer Todd Fagan, our athletic training staff, and emergency medical personnel, for quick and professional response exhibited in dealing with D.J.'s situation," Director of Athletics Eric Sexton said. "In addition, a thank you to our partner, Via Christi, for the care they are providing.

"I visited D.J. this morning. He is in stable condition, and will have a number of tests today. We may not know much more until we receive the results of the tests. All of our thoughts go out to D.J., his family, and our men's basketball program."

Bowles is a 6-foot-2, 175-pound freshman guard from Oldsmar Christian High School in Cleveland, Tenn.

Wichita State asks for privacy for its student-athletes, coaches and staff through the upcoming days.
            The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Not to make light of this...just something ironic, I thought...did anyone else have to do a double-take when the first post about the AEDS showed up? My first thought was, "What does Eric Sexton have to do with this?"
              78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                Not to make light of this...just something ironic, I thought...did anyone else have to do a double-take when the first post about the AEDS showed up? My first thought was, "What does Eric Sexton have to do with this?"
                I did! Can we add "reviving DJ Bowles" to ADES's list of accomplishments next time we start debating whether or not he is awesome or sucks? And believe me, there will be a next time.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                  A few years back my grandfather was walking through the mall in Springfield, MO where he resides. He went into cardiac arrest and was revived by an AEDS used by a quick thinking passer-by. He would have surely passed if not for the AEDS and the good samaritan.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                    It will be interesting to see what the real truth is of whether he just "blacked out" per the USA today story, or was "revived" as per some of the local media.
                    Well whatever the facts are it was clearly serious enough to result in a 911 call and an ambulance trip to the hospital. We all are, of course, praying and hoping that this does not prove to be a serious condition for DJ or, if it is a serious issue that it's correctable are at least treatable so that he can he can live a long and productive life.

Best wishes DJ! Got my fingers, arms, toes, legs and eyes crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      Well whatever the facts are it was clearly serious enough to result in a 911 call and an ambulance trip to the hospital. We all are, of course, praying and hoping that this does not prove to be a serious condition for DJ or, if it is a serious issue that it's correctable are at least treatable so that he can he can live a long and productive life.

Best wishes DJ! Got my fingers, arms, toes, legs and eyes crossed.
                      I would think that anytime a young person in top physical shape blacks out a 911 call would be warranted. If it was someone old like myself don't waste the phone call. Just let me go quietly. (which song is the last sentence from?)

Comment

A friend of mine at work has class with Fred and heard him talking in class about this. According to Fred, DJ blacked out then started having a seizure and his heart stoped! The trainers hit him with the AEDS machine and he was revived and is feeling better now. FWIW
                        I smell Bluejay puntang and the only good Bluejay puntang is dead Bluejay puntang

Comment

To view this in an optimistic light, this could have very well saved Bowles life down the road. If something had to happen, better to have world class professionals around you and to diagnose further problems early on. It is a horrible situation regardless, but if it were my son I'd be happy that any problems were diagnosed before they could do more damage and he happened to collapse where the team's medical staff could help him.

I hate it whenever something like this happens to a young kid though. It seems like this happens way too often (Alang-Ntang, Hall, Bowles, Creighton's Josh Jones), but recent advances in medicine have saved the lives of many young athletes with similar issues. Obviously we don't know yet that it was in fact a heart problem, but I hope that the team takes every precaution.

Our prayers go out to Bowles and his family.

Comment

Jenn Bates ‏@KWCHJenn 3m
                            Bowles wasn't breathing, Todd Fagan and others performed CPR immediately. They saved this kid's life. #trueheroics
                            Jenn
                            The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Unbelievable.

We may never see DJ in a Shocker uniform but at least he is breathing Earth's blessed air.

Thank God for those who acted on him quickly. Wishing DJ the very best.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                                To view this in an optimistic light, this could have very well saved Bowles life down the road. If something had to happen, better to have world class professionals around you and to diagnose further problems early on. It is a horrible situation regardless, but if it were my son I'd be happy that any problems were diagnosed before they could do more damage and he happened to collapse where the team's medical staff could help him.

I hate it whenever something like this happens to a young kid though. It seems like this happens way too often (Alang-Ntang, Hall, Bowles, Creighton's Josh Jones), but recent advances in medicine have saved the lives of many young athletes with similar issues. Obviously we don't know yet that it was in fact a heart problem, but I hope that the team takes every precaution.

Our prayers go out to Bowles and his family.
                                Whether a player can come back from an episode like this one is always variable. Some can and some have to end their basketball careers. From a life and death standpoint, however, surviving the initial incident is a big, big deal. Once doctors become aware of a condition (whether heart, seizures, severe allergy, etc.) there is often a lot that can be done to treat and manage the condition, but far too often the initial episode proves deadly. I don't think that there is any question that if an underlying condition exists, it is better to have it emerge in a context where immediate quality treatment could be provided.
                                "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Working...
                                X