Gregg Doyel's Terrible Predictions from 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gregg Doyel's Terrible Predictions from 2007

Take a look at Doyel's list of Best and Worst coaching hires from 2007. Laughable now.

Gregg Marshall, Wichita State: The perfect job for Gregg Marshall, a small-town Southerner, was the one he just left. Wichita State? In the Missouri Valley Conference? I don't see it. This is the best job in the Valley, and by sheer prestige and tradition Wichita State will remain a force to be reckoned with. With the right coach (Matt Doherty), Wichita State could have become the next Gonzaga. With Marshall? They'll be lucky to be the same old (disappointing) Shockers.

Ouch!
    Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
    Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

Think he missed on this one too:

Billy Gillispie, Kentucky: Not just a home run, this was a walk-off grand slam. In all of college basketball, and this includes that cute little bugger down there at Florida, Gillispie was the perfect hire for Kentucky. By the time he's done running Louisville out of the state, the Cardinals will be getting their mail in Missouri.
      Shocker Football...Alive in '95 errr 2005 errr 2025!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hurley View Post
        Take a look at Doyel's list of Best and Worst coaching hires from 2007. Laughable now.

Gregg Marshall, Wichita State: The perfect job for Gregg Marshall, a small-town Southerner, was the one he just left. Wichita State? In the Missouri Valley Conference? I don't see it. This is the best job in the Valley, and by sheer prestige and tradition Wichita State will remain a force to be reckoned with. With the right coach (Matt Doherty), Wichita State could have become the next Gonzaga. With Marshall? They'll be lucky to be the same old (disappointing) Shockers.

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/10146700
        Doyle ended up being all kinds of wrong in his predictions. The only thing he had right was Wichita State being the "class" of the valley.
        Professional gas passer.

Comment

It would be nice if journalists would occasionally take a look back at articles like these instead of only reminding of us the times that they were right.

Comment

Hell, he missed on 7 of the 10. The only two good hires that he predicted were Huggins and Amacker. Bzdelik, Gillaspie and Pelphrey were colossal failures. As for his bad hires, Heath took South Florida to the tournament so I would say that's a success, Alford did great at New Mexico even if they didn't really have much post season success, Turgeon took A&M to the tournament every year he was there and we are all familiar with what Marshall has done.

30% is not a good track record!!

Comment

He would have done better switching the best and worst lists.

Comment

Too funny. Remember to use that article next time I run out of toilet paper.

Comment

Ka-ka-ka! Eating some crow.
                  “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

I sent it to him on twitter hahaha he replied....

Gregg Doyel ‏@GreggDoyelCBS 4m
                    I should've been fired for that one RT @michaelriedl: . @GreggDoyelCBS ...take a look at this http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/10146700
                    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                      I sent it to him on twitter hahaha he replied....

https://twitter.com/GreggDoyelCBS/st...41298526928896
                      At least he is man enough to laugh at himself.
                      You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxfan11 View Post
                        It would be nice if journalists would occasionally take a look back at articles like these instead of only reminding of us the times that they were right.
                        Agree.
                        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Now if he would have said Danny Ainge instead of Matt Doherty, who could argue with that.
                          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

The next Gonzaga? That may have sounded like a deal I'd take back then. But the last I checked, WSU beat Gonzaga! It has worked out ok.
                            Phi Alpha

Comment

Last I checked, Gonzaga would love to be the next Wichita State.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                              X