X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newshock1234
    Originally posted by BA2929
    Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone
    Given Gals *and the teams* current state of the program ill take a 1.38.
    If you'll take that, every time he dishes out an assist expect a turnover right afterward. I'd rather have him get 0 assists and 0 turnovers in a game instead of nearly 1/1.
    he should have more assist tho is what i think he is saying. This is of the worst shooting teams in a while. If we had better shooter then it would prolly be more.
    I think he was saying that as well, but in case he wasn't, I'll say it. If Gal was playing PG with last year's talent, he'd be averaging 7-10 assists a game, minimum. Yes, he does make errors, but he sees the floor great and the lack of scoring ability and talent is the reason his ratio isn't much much higher.

Comment

Spangler Fan I agree with you. Phil (and Ramon too, for that matter) have hands of steel. Between them they have misplayed a lot of passes that could have (should have) led to easy baskets.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerInKC
        Originally posted by BA2929
        Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone
        Given Gals *and the teams* current state of the program ill take a 1.38.
        If you'll take that, every time he dishes out an assist expect a turnover right afterward. I'd rather have him get 0 assists and 0 turnovers in a game instead of nearly 1/1.

Uhmmm, 1.38 /1 is alot different than 1/1. 1/1 is you helped score 2 ( or 3 )points and you gave the opponent 1 chances to score 2 ( or 3) * opponents shooting pct * (opponents non-turnovers possesions / opponents possessions) points.

Assuming 50 possesions, opponent shoots 50%, and has 10 turnovers then (ignoring rate of 3 pt makes and rate of offensive rebounds):

1/1 = assist is +2 pts, turnover is -0.8 for a net of +1.2 pts
        1.38/1 = assist is +2.76 pts, turnover is -0.8 for a net of +1.96 pts
        So 1.38/1 is 63% better than 1/1.
        Impressive math. I have to agree with that - Made me eat my words, but you made them taste so good. :good:
        "You can observe a lot just by watching."
        -- Yogi Berra

Comment

assists and turnovers don't tell the whole story anyway.

fun and entertaining.

but not everything.
          veni, vidi, vici

Comment

Here ya go, Royal.

I created a separate chart because I thought the addition of shooting stats to Asst/TO chart would cause clutter.

Notes:

1. The discontinuity of the free throw trend line means Gal did not shoot any free throws in the referenced game.

2. Gal got off to a rough start in the first two conference games. He went 0-9 from the 3 line.

3. A moving average would smooth out the trend lines and it would present a more accurate picture of his improvement as the season has progressed.

Comment

[quote="SpanglerFan316"]
              Originally posted by benishock
              And, keep in mind, how difficult it is to get an assist when your teammates are shooting 30%.
              A great point. Remember Gal's pass to Phil, who was right next to the basket with no MSU players close to him, and Phil's subsequent turnover?
              TURNOVR by Thomasson, Phillip 01:52 (second half)
              This should have been an assist for Gal if Phil could complete the play and get a basket.[/quote

Reminds me of Fridge playing with Kampman and Miller. One of the most entertaining parts of the games was watching the ball come out of nowhere, slip between their hands, and off the head out of bounds.

Comment

Thanks Ricky!

While I was referring to his assists-per-game and turnovers-per-game averages, this is still good info.

You're doing good with this!

Comment

Hey Ricky if the school ever hires you do stats full time can I have your seats??

:good:

Comment

Howz this, Royal. Is this what you suggested?

Comment

Mekel

Gal's doing a nice job, and we can hope that if he's back next year -- and I for one certainly hope he is -- that his passing skills will be enjoyed by teammates with better hands inside. Durley, for example (assuming he's back, as I hope he is), has very good hands.

Unfortunately, Gal's one obvious weakness is the very thing that has made him successful overseas, which is why it gets him into trouble here. Namely, he's just athletic enough that against European juniors he's a superior player and an effective PG. But the game is different in the US, and here he isn't athletic enough to make those same plays against solid D-1 American defenders -- hence the charging fouls and other mishaps when he tries to take over at clutch time. The stuff that works in Europe just doesn't quite get it done here.

Hopefully next year, with Hannah on board, assuming Gal is still here he won't have to try to take over in those spots -- and will realize it -- and will be able instead just to use his superior passing ability and vision to play within himself and be an unusually good passer at the 2 spot and as a backup PG.

Comment

Not quite, Ricky. But like I mentioned in a PM, it's a stat that would be a pain in the butt to graph. More of a pain than I realized when I suggested it.

Thanks for trying!

Comment

Re: Mekel

Originally posted by WSUwatcher
                          Gal's doing a nice job, and we can hope that if he's back next year -- and I for one certainly hope he is -- that his passing skills will be enjoyed by teammates with better hands inside. Durley, for example (assuming he's back, as I hope he is), has very good hands.

Unfortunately, Gal's one obvious weakness is the very thing that has made him successful overseas, which is why it gets him into trouble here. Namely, he's just athletic enough that against European juniors he's a superior player and an effective PG. But the game is different in the US, and here he isn't athletic enough to make those same plays against solid D-1 American defenders -- hence the charging fouls and other mishaps when he tries to take over at clutch time. The stuff that works in Europe just doesn't quite get it done here.

Hopefully next year, with Hannah on board, assuming Gal is still here he won't have to try to take over in those spots -- and will realize it -- and will be able instead just to use his superior passing ability and vision to play within himself and be an unusually good passer at the 2 spot and as a backup PG.
                          I have to disagree a little. Gal made several layups against Creighton when he drove to the basket. He can beat the man guarding him; he is not good enough to beat the two frontcourt players waiting to stuff him, however.
                          Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I was looking over some stats and noticed based on the numbers Gal has played pretty well the last 7 games.

Here are his averages according to ESPN over the last 7 games:

35 mIN, 12.9PTS, 3.2REB, 6.0AST, 3.0TO, 2.0AST/TO RATIO, 50%FG, 35%3FG, 82%FT.

Just an observation.
                            Shocker fan since December 28th, 2005!

Comment

He has improved - I watched the game replay on Monday and thought Gal's pg play in that game may have been the best I have seen for the shockers (paying close attention since late 90's)....

I notice shox winning percentage seems to increase as Gal's turnovers increase. I guess timing of turnovers may be more important than totals or ratios.

Comment

Working...
                              X