Gal Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RDR, you're donig great!

Have you thought about adding his averages to that chart, to see how they change over time?

Comment

I like the chart but I am more curious about another player. If we have any chance (to be respectable) in the MVC tourney, we will need PJ. Why don't we chart his stats over the course of the season?
      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

On assist ratios, what is considered fair, good, and excellent?
        Is 2.0 considered good for a guard?

Comment

Gal is a great kid but not a difference maker in terms of our future

Comment

Originally posted by Overtime
            Gal is a great kid but not a difference maker in terms of our future
            If you are correct (and I'm not agreeing or disagreeing - ask me in 3 years ;-) ), then why don't we track the players who are difference makers?
            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
              1.5 to 1 (A/TO) is considered passable to good. 2/1 is very, very good.

The problem is getting the numbers correct. There is an assist and stat man's idea of an assist which often are not close at all.

Some schools are worse at it than others, imho. SIU pads assist stats, imho.

The 3 best Valley PGs (again mho)

Daniel Ruffin 83-51 1.63
              Bryan Mullins 112-51 2.20 (see what I mean?)
              Adam Emememememememeker 11-57 1.95

Gal Mekel 80-58 1.38

Comment

Given Gals *and the teams* current state of the program ill take a 1.38. Would I prefer better hell to the yea.

But again given the way things are its really not that bad.

Comment

And, keep in mind, how difficult it is to get an assist when your teammates are shooting 30%.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone
                    Given Gals *and the teams* current state of the program ill take a 1.38.
                    If you'll take that, every time he dishes out an assist expect a turnover right afterward. I'd rather have him get 0 assists and 0 turnovers in a game instead of nearly 1/1.
                    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                    -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by BA2929
                      If you'll take that, every time he dishes out an assist expect a turnover right afterward. I'd rather have him get 0 assists and 0 turnovers in a game instead of nearly 1/1.
                      he should have more assist tho is what i think he is saying. This is of the worst shooting teams in a while. If we had better shooter then it would prolly be more.
                      Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Actually considering the teams shooting woes im surprised by some of his assist numbers.

He should be averaging more. But the teams inablity to catch the ball or finish hurts his numbers.

Im not please with his turnovers. But I think we all have agreed that considering hes more of a 2 guard than a point guard you have to take the good with the bad.

Comment

Originally posted by BA2929

Uhmmm, 1.38 /1 is alot different than 1/1. 1/1 is you helped score 2 ( or 3 )points and you gave the opponent 1 chances to score 2 ( or 3) * opponents shooting pct * (opponents non-turnovers possesions / opponents possessions) points.

Assuming 50 possesions, opponent shoots 50%, and has 10 turnovers then (ignoring rate of 3 pt makes and rate of offensive rebounds):

1/1 = assist is +2 pts, turnover is -0.8 for a net of +1.2 pts
                          1.38/1 = assist is +2.76 pts, turnover is -0.8 for a net of +1.96 pts

So 1.38/1 is 63% better than 1/1.
                          I had season FOOTBALL tix... did you?

Comment

Originally posted by benishock
                            And, keep in mind, how difficult it is to get an assist when your teammates are shooting 30%.
                            A great point. Remember Gal's pass to Phil, who was right next to the basket with no MSU players close to him, and Phil's subsequent turnover?
                            TURNOVR by Thomasson, Phillip 01:52 (second half)
                            This should have been an assist for Gal if Phil could complete the play and get a basket.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                              Originally posted by benishock
                              A great point. Remember Gal's pass to Phil, who was right next to the basket with no MSU players close to him, and Phil's subsequent turnover?
                              TURNOVR by Thomasson, Phillip 01:52 (second half)
                              This should have been an assist for Gal if Phil could complete the play and get a basket.
                              The Story of Gals career here.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                                Originally posted by Snapshot9

Bryan Mullins 112-51 2.20 (see what I mean?)

I definitely see what you mean.

Comment

Working...
                                X