No announcement yet.

Steve Forbes joining Wichita State staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course I'd like to see an occasional 5 star. I'm just not real crazy about watching a whole team of players that are auditioning for the NBA.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
      I see somewhat where you're coming from, but do you not want us to start pulling in five star recruits?
      If 3G wants them, then yes, hell yes. If he chooses to instead have the Halls, Earlys, Bakers, Freds, etc, then I'm all for that scenario also.
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
        If 3G wants them, then yes, hell yes. If he chooses to instead have the Halls, Earlys, Bakers, Freds, etc, then I'm all for that scenario also.
        That's a good point. I trust fully in 3G. While he is at the helm, we will be headed in the right direction. Obviously we are not in a position to complain and say "We can only go so far with people like Hall, Early, Baker, and FVV."

Somebody posted a Bleacher Report article the other day that mentioned the weakness of twenty or so coaches. Their point about HCGM was kind of stupid, I thought, but it mentioned that Bill Self is a better recruiter than he is X's and O's. I think that's a fair point to make about him. What does anyone think about 3G? Is he a better recruiter or in game coach?

Personally, I think he is one of the best strategists in the country. His strategies in the NCAA were a work of art.

Comment

Somebody posted a Bleacher Report article the other day that mentioned the weakness of twenty or so coaches. Their point about HCGM was kind of stupid, I thought, but it mentioned that Bill Self is a better recruiter than he is X's and O's. I think that's a fair point to make about him. What does anyone think about 3G? Is he a better recruiter or in game coach?

Personally, I think he is one of the best strategists in the country. His strategies in the NCAA were a work of art.
          I would love to have Marshall's strategies and Turgeon's clock/out-of-timeout plays.

Comment

Marshall doesn't call timeouts, but his dead ball plays are pretty good.

Comment

Personally, I think he is one of the best strategists in the country. His strategies in the NCAA were a work of art.[/QUOTE]
              A lot of the credit for strategizing goes to our assistants (especially Jans). HCGM has to have the best staff anywhere and it just got better. I'm amazed at how well the team executes those strategies though. I guess that's a credit to the type of kids HCGM brings in.

Comment

Last edited by Guest; August 10, 2013, 05:07 PM.

Comment

I don't think that Gregg has changed regarding timeouts during the regular season. He wants his players to develop the toughness to work through difficult situations and not look at the bench for a bailout. He did show that during the NCAA when you are lose and out, he changes his philosophy to stop runs of the other team (especially because our team last year was more offensively challenged at times). You get behind and you may be done.

Comment

I don't think Self is a better recruiter. Most of the recruits go to KU because of the school tradition and not because of any coach. If Bill Self went to a non-BCS school, I don't think he would continue to bring in the 5-star recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                      I don't think Self is a better recruiter. Most of the recruits go to KU because of the school tradition and not because of any coach. If Bill Self went to a non-BCS school, I don't think he would continue to bring in the 5-star recruits.
                      KU fans regularly question their recruiting. Most of them think the whole bench should be full of 5* and 4* players. What Bill Self has been able to do is develop talent. Yes they have had NBA quality talent but it usually isn't that deep. It's has to be confusing for them when they get more out of the Conner Teahan, Brady Morningstar, Tyrel Reed types than the likes of Josh Selby and Xavier Henry.
                      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                      -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                        Haha, maybe Nick Wiggins was the best recruiter for KU this past year :biggrin-new:

Comment

I've heard that Self has changed his recruiting philosophy in recent years. While he still goes for the 5 stars, he also has recognized the need to develop skilled players that will be around for 4 years. I'm told he's finally realized that a team of juniors and seniors is better for the NCAA tourney than a team of high school all stars. That's why you've seen more Teahans and Morningstars on his roster in recent years.

Comment

Self is an excellent recruiter but he's a superior teacher of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                              http://www.basketballhq.com/steve-fo...your-practice/

I'm excited to see Coach Forbes in action.
                              "he has a knack for recruiting talented players, and then being able to get that players best."

wow. that sounds just like a grade "a" coach.

Comment

Don't y'all have Self respect? Literally.
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X