Steve Forbes joining Wichita State staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
    While the Shockers still have Cleanthony Early on the roster, there is only two incoming jucos for the 2013-14 season (Earl Watson and Darius Carter) so it will be interesting to see what effect Forbes will be able to have for WSU's 2014 class.
    Ugh. Can't we have one single article written about the program that is accurate?

Loved everything up until that point, but the lack of research frustrates me.
    Originally posted by BleacherReport
    Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
      Ugh. Can't we have one single article written about the program that is accurate?

Loved everything up until that point, but the lack of research frustrates me.
      That's not inaccurate. They did not list Nick or CJ, but the statement was not that Cle, Earl, and Darius are our only JUCO players on the roster, but that 1) we still have Cle and 2) Ear and Darius are the only incoming JUCO players. Both statements are true. Now the grammar of "there is only two," on the other hand . . .
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
        That's not inaccurate. They did not list Nick or CJ, but the statement was not that Cle, Earl, and Darius are our only JUCO players on the roster, but that 1) we still have Cle and 2) Ear and Darius are the only incoming JUCO players. Both statements are true. Now the grammar of "there is only two," on the other hand . . .
        SMDH.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
          I was thinking more that Earl Watson won't be playing in a Shocker uniform this coming season.

I might be jumping ahead, though ... I'd be shocked if Watson actually is part of this recruiting class, but I guess nothing has been officially said. And if there's nothing official, I shouldn't blame them for thinking he's still part of the class.
          Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Personally, I hope Forbes does a better job landing us HS talent than JUCO talent.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
              Personally, I hope Forbes does a better job landing us HS talent than JUCO talent.
              Shocked to hear you say that.

Not really.

Comment

I'm not sure either Turner or Ford helped much with any of the JUCOs we landed. Plus, we're getting much better HS talent now as well which normally leads to a lesser need for JUCO guys. I'm not now, nor have I ever said we should avoid JUCOs, but this program moves forward and takes yet another step with better HS talent and less relying on JUCO guys. And I know Forbes has done a great job with HS guys as every article up to the one just posted that I've read/skimmed has talked about the HS talent he was able to bring into his previous stops. So I'm not worried about it.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Hadn't seen this article listed yet. http://www.nwfdailynews.com/sports/l...tball-1.169925
                  Professional gas passer.

Comment

Some slices of bread have jelly on them (freshman). Other slices of bread have peanut butter on them (jucos). Some slices of bread have mayo on them (white tangy tasting stuff), while others have cheese (I prefer American on a good old bologna). What I'm trying to say is, I could use a BLT right now. Or a reuben, but only with real corn beef -- none of that new age turkey reuben crap. Oh yeah, back to my point! Regardless what you put on the sandwich, wheat toast is ALWAYS a good bread selection for the sandwich.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                      of course his past is a concern. Pretending that it is not is just silly. HCGM thinks that he is worth the risk.
                      Wrong, pin. The only thing that's silly is thinking that a coach a smart as Marshall is, and who has things going as well as he does, would take any risk whatever when he has his choice of whom to bring in. Whoever called this a home run hire was understating the case.

Comment

So which Valley school is most likely to have a pre-game cookout in ACSF's honor?

And what will they be serving?
                        Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
                        Students > Alumni
                        If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
                        The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

Originally posted by blackandgold View Post
                          Hadn't seen this article listed yet. http://www.nwfdailynews.com/sports/l...tball-1.169925
                          The Shox will be all right
                          Phi Alpha

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                            Some slices of bread have jelly on them (freshman). Other slices of bread have peanut butter on them (jucos). Some slices of bread have mayo on them (white tangy tasting stuff), while others have cheese (I prefer American on a good old bologna). What I'm trying to say is, I could use a BLT right now. Or a reuben, but only with real corn beef -- none of that new age turkey reuben crap. Oh yeah, back to my point! Regardless what you put on the sandwich, wheat toast is ALWAYS a good bread selection for the sandwich.
                            Dont be a heel
                            I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

I don't see why anyone should be worried about Forbes. He didn't commit any recruiting violations. By all accounts, the only rule he's ever broken in his entire career is evading answering questions during a probe. Which I understand him being punished by the NCAA for, but I also don't blame him for, and I don't think it says anything about his character. Meanwhile he's good friends with the other two assistants, who have been tremendous for us, so anyone similar to them is great for our program. By all accounts he's a great coach and a great recruiter. I have no reason to think he'll do anything against the rules here, and as long as we're not breaking any rules, any increased NCAA attention won't have any impact.

The more I learn about him, the more thrilled I am with this situation. I don't think there is any way we could have gotten a coach with Forbes' ability and resume with the limited notice we had without there being extenuating circumstances like this. He seems to be a huge upgrade over Turner. My only hope is that he'll be with us for at least two seasons before he gets a shot as a head coach -- hell, his trouble with the NCAA might benefit us by making him less likely to get a head coaching job. We are in great shape here.

When was the last time a college program got this much press for hiring an assistant coach? And almost all of it has been positive.

Comment

Originally posted by fastbow View Post
                                So which Valley school is most likely to have a pre-game cookout in ACSF's honor?

And what will they be serving?
                                Crow?? I hear Barry does great BBQ. I think IlSU is probably the most likely to try to stage a cookout to try to frame SF. Probably try to Photoshop SF and some recruits into a BBQ pic.

If I can include a recent MVC coach, McDermott might just sacrifice his first-born to make this hire.
                                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X