Marshall has a weakness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall has a weakness?

In college basketball, where there hasn’t been an undefeated champion in more than 30 years, imperfection is the rule, not the exception...

I know it is a Bleacher Report, but I thought it deserved two comments. First, I find nothing wrong with scoring by committee. It keeps teams from keying on one or two people. Second, I think Cle becomes the go-to guy this year.

He certainly does have a point to some extent.
    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Cle will not doubt be A go-to guy this year, however I am not sure he will be the only go-to option. Ron Baker could be another option.

Although both players may need a FVV to break down the defense and get the ball to them. Of course, if the defense overplays Cle and Ron we could do worse than have FVV try to make a play and it's not like we won't have some other options as well.

Come to think of it, given a choice I will take the balanced attack with the ability to put 5 potential scoring options on the floor in crunch time.

Comment

Isn't scoring by committee less risky than relying on one scorer? How does that even make sense?

Comment

Scoring by committee is a major weakness in close games where a team doesn't have a player who can get his own shot. You end up relying on the set play to work, and against good defensive teams late in the season it becomes tough to score when you need a basket.

Marshall's teams haven't had that problem in the last 3 years. FVV, Baker, and Early can get a shot in a one on one situation late. Ragland and Murry could do the same in previous years. The scoring balance is fine in these situations.

Comment

Nothing to see here.

Stupid article from a poorly informed source ...

Practically every "flaw" pointed out for most of the coaches is why they win games ... a lot of games.
            Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Anyone who doesn't think FVV can score when the shot clock is winding down is going to have a little surprise this year.

Wessel, Early and Baker are good options when the Shox absolutely, positively need a basket.

Maybe the Shox don't have "a" go-to guy, but I want to watch opponents try to overplay 3 or 4 guys when the Shox have the ball. I don't even have Carter on the list - yet.

Shox are going to see a lot of zone this year. Not so much because the Shox are going to lack outside shooters, but Coleby, Carter, and Early are all going to require a double if they get the ball close to the hoop. Anybody think any coach in the nation is going to want to leave Baker, FVV, Wessel, Wiggins, or Cotton unguarded outside the arc?
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I've always thought that not having that one go to guy was more of a strenght than a weakness. I don't see anybody that is likely to be in at crunch time that you can sag off to double without getting burned by the guy that you left to double someone else.

Comment

So this article ranks Marshall as the #9 coach in college basketball?

Comment

Originally posted by WINGdingBALLfling View Post
                    So this article ranks Marshall as the #9 coach in college basketball?
                    I think that's what I got out of it :)

Comment

I'll take #9 right now & see you in the Final Four.
                      Don't forget about Wiggins as a scoring threat.
                      And they will play defense!
                      Phi Alpha

Comment

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                        -John Wooden

Comment

If a balanced offense is HC3G's only weakness, I'll take it. Everyday. Including Sundays.
                          "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Originally posted by champions5 View Post
                            Scoring by committee is a major weakness in close games where a team doesn't have a player who can get his own shot.
                            Balanced Scoring does not necessarily mean you don't have a ONE go to guy. It just means you might have multiple go to guys. This is especially helpful when a GO TO GUY is having an off night there will be somebody possibly to pick that guy up.

Shocker Leading Scorers by game

Early - 13 games
                            Hall - 7.5 games
                            Armstead - 6.5 games (2.5 games came in post-season play)
                            Williams - 5.5 games

If you break leading scorers down by when they scored 20+:
                            Early -6 games
                            Armstead - 4 games
                            Hall - 3 games

Comment

The only reason Cle isn't a "go to" guy is because he racks up fouls in this frustratingly tightly called conference where elite athleticism is indirectly punished. But you get into the tournament where true ballers are allowed to play and LOOK WHAT HAPPENED! The only "go to" guys you are going to find in such a defensively oriented and tightly-called conference are outside shooters like McD and Ryan or the occasional center that gets to cherry pick. When is the last time a guy with true slashing ability terrorized this league?
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                              X