Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newcomers to WSU article

From the article:

Post player Earl Watson, a transfer from Chipola (Fla.) Community College, is taking two summer classes and his future as a Shocker is uncertain.“He has not been able to complete his stuff to be admitted,” WSU coach Gregg Marshall said. “It just depends on if he can get it done.” Without Watson, the Shockers are at their limit of 13 scholarships. Should Watson finish his junior-college requirements, Marshall said he will deal with that scenario when it happens.

Morris spent almost an hour banging with Lufile, adding to his appreciation for the physical play and stamina required in college. He said he weighs in at 280 pounds and wants to drop 20 by the time the season starts.
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Stats on everybody but Bowles. Can anybody fill those in?
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Marshall said he will deal with that scenario when it happens.
        That's a new approach.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
          That's a new approach.
          My guess is that once it became clear that Watson wouldn't have his grades in order, that lost him his scholarship guarantee (which is reasonable if you don't do the schoolwork to become eligible) and his schollie went to Carter. If he becomes eligible, Marshall will presumably figure out if Watson is willing to pay his way one year and get a scholarship the next or if he wants to pursue options elsewhere. I could be way off, but that's how I see it.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I wonder what Earl has to do over the summer because he supposedly graduated from JuCo.
            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
            -John Wooden

Comment

Two incoming recruits tipping the scales at 148 and 280 is crazy. Even more crazy is coming up 12 lbs to get to 148.

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                I wonder what Earl has to do over the summer because he supposedly graduated from JuCo.
                Graduating from Juco and having the sufficient credits to qualify for a 4 year school don't always match up. Sounds like Earl might have to go the Malcolm route next year at least if he wants to be on the team... I would be shocked if anyone else's scholarship would get pulled at this juncture. Only other scenario I could see is that someone else does a Ron Baker...
                Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Something tells me if we ever needed a scholarship something "creative" could be done with one of two of our Kansas kids, a la Brady Morningstar.
                  "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                  -John Wooden

Comment

What are the rules regarding athletes and academic scholarships? Is it possible to switch from an athletic scholarship to an academic?

Comment

Something tells me if we ever needed a scholarship something "creative" could be done with one of two of our Kansas kids, a la Brady Morningstar.
                      Wasn't Morningstar mentioned in a KU ticket scandal?

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                        Wasn't Morningstar mentioned in a KU ticket scandal?

http://shockernet.net/forum/showthre...l=1#post250169
                        I thought that was his dad. Don't go blaming the kid.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                          Two incoming recruits tipping the scales at 148 and 280 is crazy. Even more crazy is coming up 12 lbs to get to 148.
                          You have got to believe that Holland just has absolutely stunning talent to be attracting good D-1 schools when he was playing at a high school weight of 136 pounds.
                          The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by shockkansas View Post
                            What are the rules regarding athletes and academic scholarships? Is it possible to switch from an athletic scholarship to an academic?
                            I believe (though I'm sure others know better) that the rule is something along the lines that an athlete can receive an academic scholarship only if there was no contact between the coaches and him prior to arrival on campus. It is set up to prevent schools from gaming the system. Whatever the exact rule, there is no way Wessel or Baker are going to be eligible for an academic scholarship if they continue on our roster.
                            Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

The creativity will be a la Malcolm Armstead.

Comment

Working...
                              X