Gonzaga of the midwest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonzaga of the midwest

"On the verge of becoming the Gonzaga of the midwest" but warning to SubGod, it's a Bleacher Report.
    In the fast lane

Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
    "On the verge of becoming the Gonzaga of the midwest" but warning to SubGod, it's a Bleacher Report.
    Beware the "C" word, the "M-M" word, and that we only started 4 players last year.

And did you know . . .

Creighton is off to the American Athletic Conference (the new Big East)

Comment

Have they never heard of checking facts before printing them?

Comment

Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
        Have they never heard of checking facts before printing them?
        People keep referring to BleacherReport as if it was a normal website with a credible editorial direction. BR is barely better than a basketball forum with pictures that you can't reply to as easily.

It's not "BleacherReport." It's "this guy that submitted an article to BleacherReport." You'll get four articles on BR within an hour of each other that all contradict one another.

I will give the author credit in that article for being more knowledgeable about our roster for next season than any ESPN analyst not named Jason King, though.
        Originally posted by BleacherReport
        Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

I think before everyone starts labeling us the Gonzaga of the Midwest, we need to make the Dance 15 years in a row, get nationally televised games with the big dogs and make some noise by winning some key non con games. We are off to a good start with the GM regime, but Gonzaga has a big head start on us. I'm confident that as long as GM stays, we'll no doubt eventually earn that moniker or perhaps establish a different standard for a non-bcs program.

Comment

Yeah, What's this guy thinking? It would have been better for us if he hadn't written the article flattering WSU.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
              Yeah, What's this guy thinking? It would have been better for us if he hadn't written the article flattering WSU.
              Changing my opinion on their website just because some of their contributors have started being flattering to us would make me a hypocrite.

I have no respect for their website. Whether the contributions are positive or negative about us, it doesn't change my opinion. I'm glad the recent ones have been positive, because if anything BR reflects the point of view of average basketball fans (because they're not journalists ...) which shows we're getting more respect from the average fan, but other than that ... meh.

I could write for BR if I chose to. I can't write for ESPN, FoxSports, CBS, SI, etc.
              Originally posted by BleacherReport
              Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                I think before everyone starts labeling us the Gonzaga of the Midwest, we need to make the Dance 15 years in a row, get nationally televised games with the big dogs and make some noise by winning some key non con games. We are off to a good start with the GM regime, but Gonzaga has a big head start on us. I'm confident that as long as GM stays, we'll no doubt eventually earn that moniker or perhaps establish a different standard for a non-bcs program.
                ...and Gonzaga needs to make a Final Four before they start labeling the selves the "Wichita State of the West Coast"!

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                  GU's string of appearance is impressive, but its reputation was really built between 1999-2002 when they had an elite 8 run and two sweet sixteen runs. Since then they have lost in the second round every year but twice--2006 and 2009 when they made the sweet sixteen again (also one year they failed to advance out of round one). So while I agree we need more sustained success to fully justify the comparison, really we're not talking about 15 years. If over the next 3-4 years we can make a couple of sweet sixteen runs or one elite 8 we are absolutely in their zipcode. That is certainly a tall order, but I like our chances. The immediate question is will we go the VCU/Butler route of building on success or the George Mason one.
                  Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Well, they WERE the number #1 team in the rankings at the end...a point we should triumph often!

That said...it will just fine to be THE WICHITA STATE of the nation

Comment

Originally posted by MadaboutWu View Post
                      GU's string of appearance is impressive, but its reputation was really built between 1999-2002 when they had an elite 8 run and two sweet sixteen runs. ... The immediate question is will we go the VCU/Butler route of building on success or the George Mason one.
                      And the common denominator between Gonzaga, VCU, and Butler? The head coach. George Mason's LarraƱaga went to Miami, the other head coaches have stayed. Glad that Marshall isn't one always looking for the greener pasture.

Comment

yea but Larranaga has justified his jump with a sweet 16 within 2 years...cant say the same about alot of people who make the jump...ie Mark Turgeon...if your gonna jump ship from a good program you better justify it by doing better at your next gig, otherwise you look like an idiot...just the way it is...GOSHOX

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
                          yea but Larranaga has justified his jump with a sweet 16 within 2 years...cant say the same about alot of people who make the jump...ie Mark Turgeon...if your gonna jump ship from a good program you better justify it by doing better at your next gig, otherwise you look like an idiot...just the way it is...GOSHOX
                          Turg did end up at at high paying big name school. I expect him to turn it around.
                          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Maryland is going to be the b!tch of the ACC...especially with Syracuse, Notre Dame and Louisville coming in...Maryland will be no better then middle of the pack in a good year...good luck to Mark, he did so much for Wichita State...but Maryland is going to struggle...IMO...GOSHOX

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
                              Maryland is going to be the b!tch of the ACC...especially with Syracuse, Notre Dame and Louisville coming in...Maryland will be no better then middle of the pack in a good year...good luck to Mark, he did so much for Wichita State...but Maryland is going to struggle...IMO...GOSHOX
                              They are going to the B1G arent they?
                              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Working...
                              X