Who are the 2 Red-Shirt Studs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
    Green is supposed to be a sharp-shooter and I hope his Defense is going to be solid. We are very deep at the 3 position. The more sharp-shooters we have, the better. The Big Dance exhibited the vast importance of bench players that can come in and give a big lift. Our bench will be even better this coming Season IMO.

Coleby may very well be a key shot blocker and after seeing our bigs defend at the Dance, I welcome this with open arms. It was not the Louisville bigs that prevailed because we held them in check better than Michigan did last night. I want us to continue to be a top 10 rebounding team in the Country.
    oh, yes.. and isn't derail green 6'7"? those are my favorite kind of sharp-shooters- long and tall (like brandon rush or one of those georgia tech guys- dennis scott?).
    Last edited by another shocker; April 10, 2013, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Coleby isn't a red shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
        Hopefully, he is a stud. That's the more important term.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
          I have read that Zach is a very good shooter.

I have no idea, if it is true.
          I have seen ZB play at the HS level and he is a good player and I am glad he is a Shocker but I honestly have no idea how his Goddard skillz will equate on the D-I hardwood.

Go Shocks!
          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
            I have read that Zach is a very good shooter.

I have no idea, if it is true.
            I have seen ZB play at the HS level and he is a good player and I am glad he is a Shocker but I honestly have no idea how his Goddard skillz will equate on the D-I hardwood.

Go Shocks!
            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Really???

What is the correct term for a player that transfers and sits the bench for a year due to transfer rules? When HCGM said "RS" to Seth Davis was he excluding Coleby as an RS based on some technicality that only those "in the biz" understand?
              Livin the dream

Comment

If a redshirt is "someone who was held out for / sat out the season," as Coleby did -- and how else would you define it? -- then he certainly is.

Besides, a reference to Green and Coleby is also the only plausible interpretation of what Marshall meant. Wessel wasn't a redshirt -- and technically still isn't, although presumably he'll be given back the year of which he missed all but eight games. He also isn't a surprise, whereas no one around here or the Valley has seen Coleby and Green on the court. So they'll be the potential revelations.

Comment

Kadeem sat out because he was required to by the transfer rules. Derail's redshirt, like Ron's the year before were totally voluntary. Derail is a redshirt. Kadeem is a transfer. And once approved Evan will be a medical redshirt. But regardless of what you call them and whether they missed the year (or most of the year) was voluntary or involuntary it pretty much is the same bottom line result. The each sat out a season.

Hopefully, Derail put his redshirt year to good use ala Ron Baker. Hopefully, Kadeem works out as well as Mal. Hopefully, Evan will make a full recovery and pick-up where he left off this year. Hopefully, all three will use the next 6 months to get even bigger, stronger and better along with the rest of their teammates.

Go Shocks!

Comment

Actually, he is. So was MA last year and they referred to him as such a lot during the tournament.

To help, here's the "all knowing" wikipedia's definition of a redshirt: "redshirt is a delay or suspension of an athlete's participation in order to lengthen his or her period of eligibility."

Basically, redshirting protects one year of eligibility from being used. You get 5 years to play 4. While we know that you have to sit out a year when you transfer from one D1 school to another D1 school. That player must take a "redshirt" year so that it doesn't impact his total of 4 years to play.

Let me give you an example of what I'm trying to say. Say Jimmy redshirts his Freshman year (like Derail) and then plays his second year. Of course, his second year his eligibility is classified as a "Freshman" or "Redshirt Freshman". Then lets say Jimmy isn't happy w/ his playing time and wants to transfer to another D1 school. Since he already used up his "Redshirt" year, he actually will loose a year of eligibility during his transfer year. Meaning, he will only have 2 years of playing time, vs 3 years if he stayed at his original school

So, since Kadeem hadn't used his "redshirt" year, this year he is classified as a redshirt to protect his last year of eligibility.

I hope this is clear as mud.

Comment

That is a good way of explaining it.
                      "Valley-shaking, nation-waking 29-game win streak." - Paul Suellentrop, The Wichita Eagle

Comment

Whether he is or isn't a redshirt, the comment was made in a twitter post and that's the most concise way to phrase it when the question with the answer and keeping it within 140 characters.

Comment

Coleby is not a redshirt, good point. Marshall knows the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                            Coleby is not a redshirt, good point. Marshall knows the difference.
                            Well, what Marshall knows is that it's just semantics of interest to no one except people who have nothing better to do than discuss such things on the Internet (a sad comment on this thread -- and this post, for that matter, but true nevertheless). In any case, as Royal noted, Marshall's irrelevant anyway; the person posting was Seth Davis, not Marshall -- and Davis was paraphrasing, not quoting, as you tend to do when you only have 140 characters to work with.

Bottom line is that it doesn't matter what someone calls them; the only plausible interpretation is that Marshall was referring to Coleby and Green, and if anyone can prove me wrong I'll tip my hat to him. (I'm not expecting to have to grab a hat anytime soon.)

Comment

Nothing better to do except again say he was referring to Coleby and Green. We already know Wessel is one.
                              In the fast lane

Comment

I'm 100% sure he's talking about Coleby and Green after your comments, was 75% sure when I made this thread. Glad to hear we have a center in Coleby that can play.

Comment

Working...
                                X