In MT's head....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
    Turgeon's biggest mistake, other than his "at this level" mentality was what he himself described in the article. He never learned to enjoy his time here. M, S and M did and are.
    My first thought when I read that part of the article was that he probably figured out that he should have enjoyed it here more when he realized that Texas A&M isn't a basketball school.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      IMHO, what turned around our basketball/athletic program was first and foremost the Roundhouse Rennaissance project spearheaded by Jim Schaus. That set the stage for Jim to go out and bring in Mark and then Gregg. We may get Mark even without that, not sure about Gregg and we sure don't keep Gregg unless we keep our facilities top notch.

As far as Shocker coaching hierarchy I would go with Miller, Marshall, Smithson, Turgeon and Fogler. That could easily change in a couple of days. If Gregg stays around he will not doubt pass Ralph at some point.
      Agreed. Looking at Miller's 14 years total (and that is an accomplishment and record that I hope Marshall shatters) is amazing for its length, but in reality, without Miller's elite 8 in 1964, his tenure would have had zero NCAA appearances and only 1 Valley championship (although the Valley did have this team called Cincinnati in it his last several years. Granted the Final 4 in '65 was a a carryover benefit for Thompson, but still..

But Miller built the foundation. Marshall moved into the Taj Mahal, but it was an empty palace..
      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        IMHO, what turned around our basketball/athletic program was first and foremost the Roundhouse Rennaissance project spearheaded by Jim Schaus. That set the stage for Jim to go out and bring in Mark and then Gregg. We may get Mark even without that, not sure about Gregg and we sure don't keep Gregg unless we keep our facilities top notch.

As far as Shocker coaching hierarchy I would go with Miller, Marshall, Smithson, Turgeon and Fogler. That could easily change in a couple of days. If Gregg stays around he will not doubt pass Ralph at some point.
        Thee is no doubt that Jim Schaus is more responsible than anyone for where we are today. As a Shocker AD, he has no peer.
        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
          Depending on this weekend, he might have reached Ralph Miller status already in some minds.
          Maybe, but he is about 300 wins behind for his career. Miller was a Top 10 HOF coach of 3 great basketball programs.

Comment

WSU coaches have a tendency to deny and defy a universal view the Shockers can't win on a big stage. I remember a subborn baseball coach that heard "you can't play top-level college baseball and compete in the Midwest." My recollection is in 1989 a certain group of special student-athletes won the College World Series. Give me one good reason why we can't get in done this year at the big dance. GO SHOX...PLAY ANGRY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
              Maybe, but he is about 300 wins behind for his career. Miller was a Top 10 HOF coach of 3 great basketball programs.
              What do those other school have to do with Wichita State?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post
                What do those other school have to do with Wichita State?
                Just saying that he was great for a long time with over 600 wins. Nothing else. A Top 10 winningest HOF coach who has a banner in our arena. If we win this Tournament, Marshall will go down as a great Shocker coach too. If we don't win here, he may have to win some more games to reach the legend status.

Comment

Working...
                X