Driving to Atlanta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving to Atlanta

Sooooo, when I put in Wichita to Atlanta in Google maps, it takes you through Little Rock, but I was surprised that if you go through Nashville it adds 41 miles, but only takes 10 minutes longer, and gives you some bigger towns to stop in along the way.

958 miles, 14 hours 16 mins

999 miles, 14 hours 26 mins

US-60 through Misery looks like it's about the same time, and just a little shorter but it's a much smaller highway so I ruled it out (gotta add in the "getting stuck behind the dude going 50mph" factor).

Which route do you guys take?
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Ahem ,,,,, go Tulsa , Little Rock , Memphis Hwy 78 from Memphis to Birmingham , and then to Hotlanta ,,, trust me
    From the road I listen (Tune In radio) at home I watch ( season Ticks )

Comment

60 thru Missouri is a 4 lane almost all the way from Springfield to Poplar Bluff. Drove it many times, and the last part was being fished 2 years ago so it should be good. Nice scenery along there, and good food.

Comment

theres only one place to get in any kind of real bind with that route,, and that's between LittleRock and Memphis on I-40 there is a const zone , that may or may not have a back up depending on how drunk the locals are when tryin to merge at any givin time of the day, ussually it flows decent unless they decide to bounce of one another ,, and if that happens look to take the first Xit and drop down to hwy 70 and go east a bit and get around it

Comment

Originally posted by OTR Shockfan View Post
          theres only one place to get in any kind of real bind with that route,, and that's between LittleRock and Memphis on I-40 there is a const zone , that may or may not have a back up depending on how drunk the locals are when tryin to merge at any givin time of the day, ussually it flows decent unless they decide to bounce of one another ,, and if that happens look to take the first Xit and drop down to hwy 70 and go east a bit and get around it
          Well who am I to argue with our resident pro?
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I'm bettin your first route doesn't have the NEW hwy 78 figured into it betweem the Bama Line and Birmingham,, mostly 4 lane ,, evem some 6 lane 70 mph limit ,, just a few miles close to Birmiham that is still old.. might even be better for you (in a car) the newest portion is not open to trucks yet so I'm not sure you don't get to stay 4 lane al the way to 65 in a car

Comment

Now we are getting into my area. I'm looking at taking 10 to 65 to 85.

Any thoughts on that?

Comment

Me likey the route through Tupelo (Thank you, thank you very much), factor in 5:00 traffic into your travels, KC, STL, Nashville versus Tulsa, Little Rock, Memphis, Birmingham. We leave Thursday evening to get started in that direction.

Comment

Little Rocks a fine town.
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by OTR Shockfan View Post
                    Ahem ,,,,, go Tulsa , Little Rock , Memphis Hwy 78 from Memphis to Birmingham , and then to Hotlanta ,,, trust me
                    THIS - trust me, scenery is not what you are looking for - fast interstates are . . . I did it in reverse on a Harley because I had to make time - (no, I didn't ride backwards, Pogo . . . The route was reversed . . .).

And, the good news is plenty of Bob Evans restaurants along the way - love 'em.
                    If you take the high road, you won't find much traffic there . . .

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                      Little Rocks a fine town.
                      except that it joins west Memphis. Do not have car trouble there.

Comment

Memphis is really good but don't stop in West Memphis its just like East St Louis.

Comment

I've done the southern route before, and the northern route as far as Nashville. Catch good weather and both of them are pretty easy drives. There was a LOT of big rig traffic coming out of Memphis though; that was our only hold-up the entire trip. FWIW, the southern route takes you right by Talladega.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                            Now we are getting into my area. I'm looking at taking 10 to 65 to 85.

Any thoughts on that?
                            haven't been down there in a while ,, but sounds like a fine plan

Comment

That stretch from Clarksville-Nashville-Chattanooga is really pretty, but it also has an abnormally high level of semi traffic (and fewer lanes) on it and is prone to multi-hour backups in the event of a wreck. I've been stuck in that stretch three times for 2+ hours before and it is maddening.

Just a heads up.

Comment

Working...
                              X