WSU VS. LOUISVILLE PREDICTIONS AND PREGAME DISCUSSIONS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2013 Final Four: Wichita State Shockers

Final thought: This Wichita State run is blowing conventional wisdom to pieces because the Shockers are neither a supremely talented team from a power conference nor an experienced team from a nonpower conference. They don't really fit into any previously established category. They're all junior college guys or lightly regarded high school prospects, only one of whom (Carl Hall) played a significant role on last season's team. Bottom line, it's remarkable that they're on their way to Atlanta given the makeup of the roster.

So I realize Rick Pitino's quest for a second title is a big story.

And that Syracuse and Michigan are national brands.

But Wichita State deserves its share of the spotlight this week, too.

The Shockers have earned it. Against all odds, they've earned it.
    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

I will say Louisville fans seem much more well-informed and down to Earth than the Buckeye fans we faced last round. Maybe it's just because we've made it to the Final Four....or it was a case of the Buckeye fans showing off their B1G attitude.

Comment

Comment

Wichita State's greatest challenge thus far has been the game against the Zags. It took a lot of magic to get through that game with a W.

Our last game against TOSU wouldn't even have been close had Beast and Early not left the game for injuries and fouls. TOSU's big run started right after Early tweaked his ankle. Early was a HUGE part of our domination of TOSU. Had he not come back, we would have lost big.

Louisville is an athletic team, we play very well against athletic teams. Louisville likes to pressure the ball-handlers, we have one of the best ball-handlers under pressure in college basketball. If we can stay even on the boards, and continue to hit our outside shots, I like our chances in this one.

As Marshall said in the previous pre-game speech; we don't need a great game to win, just a good one.

Gooo Shox!

T

...:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
            I will say Louisville fans seem much more well-informed and down to Earth than the Buckeye fans we faced last round. Maybe it's just because we've made it to the Final Four....or it was a case of the Buckeye fans showing off their B1G attitude.
            Louisville fans know where they came from. They are an old Valley team who was snubbed by Kentucky just as long as WSU was snubbed by KU in the 50s through the 80s (or longer). They deserve everything they have, and I will always support them and root for them when they aren't playing us. Total respect for that program And if there is a job anywhere in the country that I would want to lose Marshall to (and I dont), it would be Louisville - a perfect fit.
            Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Comparative Stats from StatSheet.com - Louisville- NCAA Tourney Fianl Four

"I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                Louisville isn't in the same universe as Ohio State in terms of being a national brand and all of the bandwagon fans that come with that.

They were considered a party crasher in last year's Final Four. Remember this is a program that's only been in the Big East since 2004, and used to be with us in the Valley. If we weren't there, I'd absolutely be cheering for them, big name coach or not. They don't have the legendary program mentality clouding their judgment ... although hopefully their player's have got adjusted to thinking like a top team really quick and overlook us >=)
                Originally posted by BleacherReport
                Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

I wonder if the Big 12 regrets not extending an invite to Louisville to join them. Oh well, enough of that. Don't want to get off topic.

Comment

So WSU has beaten the #1 team in the polls. Now the men get their shot at the #1 team in the tourney. Seems like an easy path to me!

This game comes down to which team wants it more. Throw out ranking, standings, statistics. Who has more desire and want and heart?

I guarantee that there is no team in this tournament that has more desire and heart than our team has. NO ONE! These guys are special. No matter what happens, we all will be extremely proud of these guys for a very, very long time. I know my wife and I will both be damn near unable to talk after yelling at the tv.

I really feel good about this game coming up. Our guys want it and that is all that matters.

Comment

One question: When we beat Louisville, will we finally be considered legit?
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Here, here. The Shox are capable of winning, weirder things have happened such as D11 LeMoyne beating Syracuse a couple of years ago, Chaminade beat Ralph Sampson and the Cavaliers years back, and UMKC beating us at home. Even if that chance is minuscule.

Comment

If the term "Going to war" ever had a more relevant opponent, it's this match up. It's going to be a war. Can't wait to see how we play. Focused and angry is all I hope for.
                          ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                            No.. Unfortunately it will all be about Ware and how they needed him..

UGH I hate that.. I feel so bad for that kid. But its going to be trivialized to death

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              no it would just mean Louisville had a off night
                              Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                                Yes, I know these games were early in the season, but they provide some insight...
                                Northern Iowa Game - Louisville had Northern Iowa down by 18 in the first half and won by 5
                                I think the comments regarding UNI are going to be the important ones. Louisville is a poor 3 point shooting team. We have to clog up the interior and give them the perimeter and dare them to make shots against us.

Meanwhile, we'll have to handle their pressure. Luckily, I think we're pretty well prepared for this one, thanks to the games against VCU, and even against Ohio State's good defense. It'll be on our guards to be calm and not panic under the pressure ... I think they're up to the task.

Obviously we're going to have trouble scoring as well. I'm hoping for some Gonzaga-like numbers from the perimeter.

We're going to win the rebounding margin. As long as we play smart and limit turnovers and stupid fouls, we should win the extra-possession battle. They're going to get some steals, but so will we.

Fouls look like they're going to be pretty even thanks to similar defensive styles. If they let us play, we'll both be good ... if they call us tight, ala Gonzaga and tOSU, we'll both be hit hard. But we have more depth and can absorb more fouls than they can, as long as they're not stupid fouls.

I like Armstead's comments. Louisville is a better team than us. But we don't have to beat then 5 out of 7 times ... we just have to beat them once.

Louisville is a lot like us, except probably more talented. We've got depth on our side. Intensity and heart has gotten us this far ... if we want it more than Louisville, and they think they're going to get an easy ride based on our name, they're going to be in for a surprise.
                                Originally posted by BleacherReport
                                Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Working...
                                X