Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

I am a Noob on this board, I am a Wichita State Alumn, I finally was able to sign on to this board. I have been a member of a couple of Scout Message Boards, and one of them is the Phog.net. Repeatedly, there are threads started about the "hate" WSU has for KU. I live in Wichita and obviously know quite a few fellow WSU and even KU alumns and never experenced the animosity between the two fan bases locally. Is there a lot of "hate" for KU amongst WSU fans?

Maybe I'm the only one..........

Comment

Probably best for you to use the search field up above and read through past threads and we lock this one.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

If you take the high road, you won't find much traffic there . . .

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by thunderkwb View Post
            I am a Noob on this board, I am a Wichita State Alumn, I finally was able to sign on to this board. I have been a member of a couple of Scout Message Boards, and one of them is the Phog.net. Repeatedly, there are threads started about the "hate" WSU has for KU. I live in Wichita and obviously know quite a few fellow WSU and even KU alumns and never experenced the animosity between the two fan bases locally. Is there a lot of "hate" for KU amongst WSU fans?
            It's like the Israeli's and the Palestinians and we are the Palestinians. Can't play other basketball teams in our own home state. We are isolated to our ghetto (Wichita) and not allowed equal status because of fear (either real or imagined). Most of this is rooted in ancient history more than today's reality, but the fear and paranoia on both sides remains, mostly because of the battles of our forefathers. There is an invisible wall that exists between the two, and it won't fall down for many generations. Assuming the folks on the boards are mostly younger, it makes no sense to them and for good reason. KU's reasons for not playing WSU are stupid and irrational, and triggers irrational hatred on the part of WSU fans. Some day far in the future, this will go away, but it will take generations for the inbred disdain on the part of WSU fans and inbred paranoia and bigotry on the part of KU (an institution) to go away...

Clear as mud, I know..

So to put it a different way.
            1. KU has mostly refused to play WSU in basketball going back to 1955
            2. KU never wanted Wichita State to be a Regents University
            3. KU, as an institution, has generally taken an attitude of "if we pretend they don't exist, they wont exist (in the minds of the public at large).

Understand that much of the "hatred" stems from institutional attitudes of KU toward WSU, both academically and athletically. As time goes on, fewer fans will have that animosity, but it will take time for all of the old timers on both sides to die off and hopefully things will get better with time..
            Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

To be fair, KU will say it's a pure finaincial decision. They give up too much money by playing away from AFH. I have no idea if this is true, but if they play an away game, they can schedule a team like Michigan and have it played in ESPN.

Comment

To put it in a more humorous context, watch the movie Caddy Shack.

KU is Ted Knight and the country club set. WSU is Rodney Dangerfield. KU (institution) constantly lives in (irrational) fear that Rodney is going to end up owning the Country Club and/or seducing the hot niece, so they go out of their way to make Rodney feel unwelcome...

Comment

You are a WSU alumni who spends time on a KU board, and you wonder if there is a WSU compliment to the KU vitriol.

Not sure if serious.

Comment

Why does KU act like if we played them it wouldn't be on ESPN like a game agains say Michigan State. You don't think ESPN would jump all over an in state rivalry game between two sweet sixteen (perhaps elite 8 or final 4) teams next season? Of course they would.

Comment

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
                      Why does KU act like if we played them it wouldn't be on ESPN like a game agains say Michigan State. You don't think ESPN would jump all over an in state rivalry game between two sweet sixteen (perhaps elite 8 or final 4) teams next season? Of course they would.
                      For you information, when we played Michigan State ESPN in 2005/6, ESPN set that game up and had contacted KU first and they declined....

Comment

And I believe some of the hatred from the older fans also involves a certain med school in Wichita...
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                          And I believe some of the hatred from the older fans also involves a certain med school in Wichita...
                          Wichita Collegiate has a Med School?
                          If you take the high road, you won't find much traffic there . . .

Comment

Maybe it's because we have alumni who have are members of phog.net but only have one post on shockernet....

also

Understand that much of the "hatred" stems from institutional attitudes of KU toward WSU, both academically and athletically. As time goes on, fewer fans will have that animosity, but it will take time for all of the old timers on both sides to die off and hopefully things will get better with time..
                            No need to fear us dying off soon, barely 20 and I only root for two teams: the shocks and whoever is playing the chickenhawks.

Comment

Oh boy.... Not another one. Can we have a special section for all these types of posts?

Folks, we are in the midst of an absolutely outstanding season and run in the NCAA's. Can we please not talk about the other institution until we play them on Monday night in Atlanta?

Comment

Working...
                              X