No announcement yet.

Give the ball to Early!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the first 24 games, Early was 90/163 (55.2%) inside the arc and 25/56 (44.6%) in the last 10 games.

From 3, the numbers are 29/89 (32.6%) in the first 24 games and 10/36 (27.8%) in the last 10 games.

His personal fouls increase from 2.41per game in the first 24 to 2.9 per game in the last 10.
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I guess "finesse" player might be more accurate, but maybe I'm just comparing him too much to Carl's inside game. To me, IMHO, Cleanthony is more comfortable playing/shooting from the perimeter. I think he needs work on strength and being strong with the ball in the off-season. He should be able to dominate inside with his quickness (and added strength) and still get his fair share of "good" looks from outside.

I see what your saying about his numbers, but maybe I (some of us) are just looking for too much at this point. There is so much potential there. X potential and athleticism; I wish this was his sophomore year.
      Last edited by vancedave56; March 12, 2013, 08:20 PM.

Comment

In addition to other matters, Cle was shooting 24% during the tournament.

Getting the ball wasn't the problem. He wasn't making the shots.
        Originally posted by BleacherReport
        Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
          In addition to other matters, Cle was shooting 24% during the tournament.

Getting the ball wasn't the problem. He wasn't making the shots.
          And lets not forget that Cle was also very ill during the tournament.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            Very true.

Comment

Originally posted by WheatShocker2 View Post
              This has got to be one of the more ignorant posts in the history of this fine message board. Have you paid attention recently at all? Or is your DVR stuck on January 9?
              Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
              In the first 24 games, Early was 90/163 (55.2%) inside the arc and 25/56 (44.6%) in the last 10 games.

From 3, the numbers are 29/89 (32.6%) in the first 24 games and 10/36 (27.8%) in the last 10 games.

His personal fouls increase from 2.41per game in the first 24 to 2.9 per game in the last 10.
              Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
              I think including his last 3 games is just a little unfair. They were giving the guy an I V for heavens sake!

If you compare Cle's first 24 with his 7 prior to St Louis it looks a little different:

In the first 24 games, Early was 90/163 (55.2%) inside the arc and 21-39 (53.8%) in the 7 games.

From 3, the numbers are 29/89 (32.6%) in the first 24 games and 9-32 (28.1%) in the 7 games.

His personal fouls increase from 2.41per game in the first 24 to only 2.57 per game in the 7. Not really a lot of difference. If he had made just 1 of those 3 point misses, his % would have been almost the same as earlier.

Let's look at what Cle did during the season as it went along. Again, I'm leaving out the last 3 games.
              First 10 games: Had double digit scoring in 7 of 10 games and had 12.7 ppg. Hall had double digit scoring in 9 of 10, for 12.8 ppg.
              Next 7 games: Went double digit 7 of 7 games and averaged 19.4 ppg. This was during Hall's missed games.
              Next 14 games: Had double digits 13 of 14 games, averaged 13.2 ppg. Hall went double digit 8 of 14 games, averaging 11.4. Yes, Carl's thumb was probably still bothering him, but he did go 17 and 15 points in his 2nd and 3rd games back against CU and MSU.

How did Cle do in our 3 game and 2 game losing streaks:
              Double digit scoring in 4 of 5 games totaling 54 points and 27 rebounds. Carl, double digit in 2 of 5 games, 54 points and 26 rebounds.

Comment

Bad idea. We are not going to be playing SIU, its going to be our most important game
                of the year. You don't force feed a struggling player in hopes he is going to "go off".
                Offensively, I would like to see us play a little more together, ala CU, where ALL our
                players have good court vision/awareness and make good passes to those who are
                working to get very good open shots. I believe we have a team where any of 6-7 players
                can "go off"but you just let to let it happen and not force anything. Having said all that
                I truly believe our success lies with disrupting the OTHER teams offensive continuity with
                an intense defensive effort for forty minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                  I think including his last 3 games is just a little unfair. They were giving the guy an I V for heavens sake!

If you compare Cle's first 24 with his 7 prior to St Louis it looks a little different:

In the first 24 games, Early was 90/163 (55.2%) inside the arc and 21-39 (53.8%) in the 7 games.

From 3, the numbers are 29/89 (32.6%) in the first 24 games and 9-32 (28.1%) in the 7 games.

His personal fouls increase from 2.41per game in the first 24 to only 2.57 per game in the 7. Not really a lot of difference. If he had made just 1 of those 3 point misses, his % would have been almost the same as earlier.

Let's look at what Cle did during the season as it went along. Again, I'm leaving out the last 3 games.
                  First 10 games: Had double digit scoring in 7 of 10 games and had 12.7 ppg. Hall had double digit scoring in 9 of 10, for 12.8 ppg.
                  Next 7 games: Went double digit 7 of 7 games and averaged 19.4 ppg. This was during Hall's missed games.
                  Next 14 games: Had double digits 13 of 14 games, averaged 13.2 ppg. Hall went double digit 8 of 14 games, averaging 11.4. Yes, Carl's thumb was probably still bothering him, but he did go 17 and 15 points in his 2nd and 3rd games back against CU and MSU.

How did Cle do in our 3 game and 2 game losing streaks:
                  Double digit scoring in 4 of 5 games totaling 54 points and 27 rebounds. Carl, double digit in 2 of 5 games, 54 points and 26 rebounds.
                  Cle was sick. I chose the same games that I used for Van Vleet and Williams, not selectively saying that one had a hurt toe(maybe, do you know?) or how many IV's Cle had (I only heard one game.

Actually, Cle should have been more recovered the third game,but statistically is was his worst, 1 of 5 for 20% while he was 2 of 8 in each of the preceding two.

I don't dislike Cle, but his shooting has digressed, perhaps in part because it seems to me he is padding up some good looks and has had to force some up at the end of the shot clock.

Bottom line, when comparing several players, I believe it is fair to use the same statistics and the same time periods, that is why I chose 24 and 10, as opposed to 24, 7 and ignore three.
                  "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                    CLE takes himself out of games due to his silly fouls. End of story....
                    As a coach used to scream at me, "When you are beat, you are beat. Don't make it worse by fouling."

Cle might hold the Shocker record for fouling, while trailing his man to the basket.
                    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

A lot of people were criticizing coach for end of game management. I would be more apt to criticize why he would assign Cle to guard Wragge. Tremendous talent that needs to get much better as a basketball player.
                      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                        A lot of people were criticizing coach for end of game management. I would be more apt to criticize why he would assign Cle to guard Wragge. Tremendous talent that needs to get much better as a basketball player.
                        I would notta subbed DW and TC back in at the end

Comment

Guarding Wragge shouldn't have been a problem. All he does well is shoot 3's. You have to get in his shoes (farther out than some good shooters). He sets picks, rebounds a little, and shoots it. He can't drive.

Comment

Cle was sick. I chose the same games that I used for Van Vleet and Williams, not selectively saying that one had a hurt toe(maybe, do you know?) or how many IV's Cle had (I only heard one game.

Actually, Cle should have been more recovered the third game,but statistically is was his worst, 1 of 5 for 20% while he was 2 of 8 in each of the preceding two.

I don't dislike Cle, but his shooting has digressed, perhaps in part because it seems to me he is padding up some good looks and has had to force some up at the end of the shot clock.

Bottom line, when comparing several players, I believe it is fair to use the same statistics and the same time periods, that is why I chose 24 and 10, as opposed to 24, 7 and ignore three.
                            Not to get into a p*ssing match, but your post "implied" that Cle was shooting more poorly for the 10 game period when in fact, that was not the case. There was little difference until the last 3 games which he appeared to play poorly in most all facets, all 3 games. I don't know if he was still ill, I'm making a judgement after what he had shown the rest of the season and what had happened the previous 2 games. I also feel that recovery while playing three games in three days would not be the same as for someone who would have 3 to 4 days rest between games. We are both making judgements for Sunday's play, I choose to give him a pass.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                              Not to get into a p*ssing match, but your post "implied" that Cle was shooting more poorly for the 10 game period when in fact, that was not the case. There was little difference until the last 3 games which he appeared to play poorly in most all facets, all 3 games. I don't know if he was still ill, I'm making a judgement after what he had shown the rest of the season and what had happened the previous 2 games. I also feel that recovery while playing three games in three days would not be the same as for someone who would have 3 to 4 days rest between games. We are both making judgements for Sunday's play, I choose to give him a pass.
                              Fact is, it is true, he did shoot more poorly. Now, you wish to attach some reason (excuse) to that, but that doesn't change the stat. Give him a pass, okay. Doesn't make the shot percentage change. Again, and finally, it looked to me that he passed up some good looks and threw up some poorer ones, for whatever rwason or excuse.

Comment

Fact is, it is true, he did shoot more poorly. Now, you wish to attach some reason (excuse) to that, but that doesn't change the stat. Give him a pass, okay. Doesn't make the shot percentage change. Again, and finally, it looked to me that he passed up some good looks and threw up some poorer ones, for whatever rwason or excuse.
                                He only really shot more poorly during the last three games. Just throwing out stats without context is not good. Basically, 10 games isn't enough of a sample to balance out the three games where Early was sick. The next game, I'd expect Early to shoot more like he has all year than he did in St. Louis. I do disagree with the point of this thread. Just because Early didn't score in St. Louis does not mean that he's due for a big game.

Comment

Working...
                                X