No announcement yet.

Posted on Valley Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone can say what they want, but seeing as how no one has heard anything on Orupke, I think it is safe to go ahead and fill his scholarship with a player that will be here next year. They can always figure something out if he does end up in the country, but I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
      Anyone can say what they want, but seeing as how no one has heard anything on Orupke, I think it is safe to go ahead and fill his scholarship with a player that will be here next year. They can always figure something out if he does end up in the country, but I'm not holding my breath.

I doubt they'll give it away. What if the guy suddenly shows up and you've given his scholarship away? "Sorry EO, but we gave your scholarship away. You'll have to pay your own way, even though you came here all the way from Africa." I'm sure Marshall knows something and has faith in getting EO here, or he would have been shopping that scholarship already.
      "You can observe a lot just by watching."
      -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Coach Marshall, on the January 21, 2008 coach's show, said this about Orukpe: (around 22:30 into the show)

"We've still got Ehimen Orukpe in Nigeria and, you know, it's baby steps. But we're trying to put together enough baby steps to get him out of Nigeria. We have made some progress, though not enough."

Comment

Wow, I love the way everyone on here trashes newshock for attempting to talk to the coach...

I'll bet the bulk of you would like Marshall to check for a student ID before he even opens his mouth to a person, then if he finds one to kick that person in the nuts. Or, you'd like him to check for SASO membership or something. Anything to keep us down...

What's the big deal about talking to the coach? He's a nice guy. I've caught him after games and around town before. Truly salt of the earth, unlike most of the people on here.
          Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
          Students > Alumni
          If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
          The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

Originally posted by fastbow
            Wow, I love the way everyone on here trashes newshock for attempting to talk to the coach...

I'll bet the bulk of you would like Marshall to check for a student ID before he even opens his mouth to a person, then if he finds one to kick that person in the nuts. Or, you'd like him to check for SASO membership or something. Anything to keep us down...

What's the big deal about talking to the coach? He's a nice guy. I've caught him after games and around town before. Truly salt of the earth, unlike most of the people on here.
            We're just giving newshock a hard time, since he tells us all the time that he "talks to the coach." Calm down. Not everything written on here is serious.
            "You can observe a lot just by watching."
            -- Yogi Berra

Comment

fastbow has taken everything WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY to seriously lately. Just because newshock "talks" to coach doesn't mean he has inside info. I'd expect someone like newshock to get the same coach speak most of us hear.

Now, there are a few posters on here that I'd believe at the drop of a hat on just about anything inside Shocker Athletics.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

There's a vast difference when coach talks to a student in passing just to be cordial and when he talks to influential boosters...get it?

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                  fastbow has taken everything WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY to seriously lately. Just because newshock "talks" to coach doesn't mean he has inside info. I'd expect someone like newshock to get the same coach speak most of us hear.
                  Has newshock said anything to make you doubt him? Has he been utterly wrong about anything? Now, newshock probably shouldn't be talking to Marshall, then running to post everything online without asking Marshall, but seriously. He says something, and you laugh in his face.

But, because he's not one of you, because he's a student, because his grammar and spelling aren't perfect, or whatever reason you hate him, everything he says is crap...
                  Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
                  Students > Alumni
                  If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
                  The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

Originally posted by fastbow
                    Originally posted by SubGod22
                    Has newshock said anything to make you doubt him? Has he been utterly wrong about anything? Now, newshock probably shouldn't be talking to Marshall, then running to post everything online without asking Marshall, but seriously. He says something, and you laugh in his face.

But, because he's not one of you, because he's a student, because his grammar and spelling aren't perfect, or whatever reason you hate him, everything he says is crap...
                    its because im a student. For some odd reason some people on here hate students.
                    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker
                      Coach Marshall, on the January 21, 2008 coach's show, said this about Orukpe: (around 22:30 into the show)

"We've still got Ehimen Orukpe in Nigeria and, you know, it's baby steps. But we're trying to put together enough baby steps to get him out of Nigeria. We have made some progress, though not enough."
                      exactly what i said, but i guess people on here say i dont know anything

Comment

I know newshock. Or who he is. I've been around him some in the past. I don't doubt coach said what he said but coach isn't giving him inside stuff.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Sub, i really honestly think coach is counting on EO is be here. Its just a really long process.

Comment

Concerning EO. Does anyone know just how far the university can go or get involved before we risks NCAA sanctions?

I'm just guessing, but it would seem to me that the university needs to follow pretty much of a hands-off policy concerning this matter.

Comment

Don't take it personally, boards in general have a tendency to not listen to newcomers, no matter who they are, or if they are not part of the inner circle that they all seem to have.

I have experienced some of that myself, even though I have 5 reliable sources for information, and a couple would drop jaws.

Comment

Wow. Talk about a thread going off topic. But I'll contribute anyway. Getting EO out of Nigeria may be a job for something bigger than WSU or the NCAA. Maybe the US State Dept, considering Nigeria was run by a fundamentalist Islamic military dictatorship for years. Since the British left, It's been one military coup after another. And they've all been the same. Even when they finally had free elections, those leaders turned out to be completely corrupt, caring more about oil and money than their own people. Remember, this is the country that banned organizations from administering polio vaccine, claiming it was a conspiracy by the west to infect Nigerians with HIV. Now, almost 80% of all the worlds polio cases are in Nigeria. That's what that Government does to it's own people. I think it would be safe to say, the Nigerian government doesn't care about WSU, or if EO ever plays here, or his future, beyond what he can do for them, for that matter.

It may take Condoleezza Rice to pull this one off.
                                "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Working...
                                X