Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Wichita State, wanna join us in the A-10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
    I know few agree with me, but I prefer the Catholics.
    I like the catholic money, but I like the compitition better in the west.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
      UMass and Charlotte are leaving.
      Where are they going?

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
        Where are they going?
        big east former iirc

Comment

Charlotte going to Conference USA

UMass as of right now is MAC football and A-10 all other sports. There is thoughts that UMass will get into the new BigEast eventually.

Comment

How much Conference money (i.e. Tourney Rev, Television rights, etc) does WSU get? Were does the MVC rank in revenues?

Comment

Does this open the door for VCU and Richmond to go to the CAA and make it a better conference? Thjs putting the proverbial nail in the coffin for the A-10?

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                The average RPI percentage for the remnant A10 programs would put it at right above the current Missouri Valley and just below the SEC in the current Conference RPI rankings. That would give it a ranking of 9. On the other hand, the remnant MVC programs would be ranked between Conference USA and the Horizon League with a ranking of 12 in the current conference RPI rankings.
                Maybe I read what you wrote incorrectly, but wouldn't that RPI still be heavily affected by the quality of Butler, Xavier, Temple, Dayton, and St. Louis? Their RPI would be raised by playing those teams (and playing teams that play those teams, and so on). And 5 solid teams compared to just WSU and Creighton affecting the RPI of the others would mean that the A10's RPI would be more heavily affected by the departing teams than the MVC would in this scenario. At least I think so.

What I mean is, I'm not sure there's any way to compare apples to apples in RPI across these two conferences without the key teams, unless you were to remove any conference games against those teams and then re-calculate the RPIs of every team in each conference.
                Originally posted by BleacherReport
                Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                  Maybe I read what you wrote incorrectly, but wouldn't that RPI still be heavily affected by the quality of Butler, Xavier, Temple, Dayton, and St. Louis? Their RPI would be raised by playing those teams (and playing teams that play those teams, and so on). And 5 solid teams compared to just WSU and Creighton affecting the RPI of the others would mean that the A10's RPI would be more heavily affected by the departing teams than the MVC would in this scenario. At least I think so.

What I mean is, I'm not sure there's any way to compare apples to apples in RPI across these two conferences without the key teams, unless you were to remove any conference games against those teams and then re-calculate the RPIs of every team in each conference.
                  RLH - I agree that it is weighted because of the A10 strength of schedule. It is also reflective of the teams success. So, I still think it shows that the remnant A10 teams have at least the same and probably slightly better than the remnants of the MVC. There are flaws in my methodology as was previously pointed out I should not have included UMass and Charlotte, and it is weighted towards the A10 SOS. I just needed to do a quick analysis, because I was having difficulty in determining how the remnants of the two conferences would compare to each other. Probably the biggest variable is who else the A10 can add to their conference. I would love to do more analysis on this by backing out the conference schedules, but like most others have limited spare time. I just hope that WSU can get in a league that is the right fit. I don't know if the Valley is the right fit. But we're limited by geography an no football program.
                  ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Originally posted by jdmee View Post
                    How much Conference money (i.e. Tourney Rev, Television rights, etc) does WSU get? Were does the MVC rank in revenues?
                    Television I believe is 400k per school in the MVC. Nothing special. CU is expected to get over 3million per with the C7
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                      RLH - I agree that it is weighted because of the A10 strength of schedule. It is also reflective of the teams success. So, I still think it shows that the remnant A10 teams have at least the same and probably slightly better than the remnants of the MVC. There are flaws in my methodology as was previously pointed out I should not have included UMass and Charlotte, and it is weighted towards the A10 SOS. I just needed to do a quick analysis, because I was having difficulty in determining how the remnants of the two conferences would compare to each other. Probably the biggest variable is who else the A10 can add to their conference. I would love to do more analysis on this by backing out the conference schedules, but like most others have limited spare time. I just hope that WSU can get in a league that is the right fit. I don't know if the Valley is the right fit. But we're limited by geography an no football program.
                      Definitely understand the limited spare time :)

Non-conference RPI might be a better comparison, since it would eliminate the influence of the conference schedule from things. It wouldn't be perfect, but more accurate.
                      Originally posted by BleacherReport
                      Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

A-10/MVC merger. Two 10 team divisions (East/West...which is basically what both leagues will have after these last realignment moves once additions are made). Olympic sports play their games in those divisions, then meet the other division in the playoffs. Basketball does the same but each year mixes in some "interleague" play. 6 teams from each division make the tournament in hoops, alternate sites for the tournament..Chicago and NYC, gives you guys some East Coast coverage, gives the A-10 teams some midwest looks...could be cool, strength in numbers, etc etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by NattyMat View Post
                          A-10/MVC merger. Two 10 team divisions (East/West...which is basically what both leagues will have after these last realignment moves once additions are made). Olympic sports play their games in those divisions, then meet the other division in the playoffs. Basketball does the same but each year mixes in some "interleague" play. 6 teams from each division make the tournament in hoops, alternate sites for the tournament..Chicago and NYC, gives you guys some East Coast coverage, gives the A-10 teams some midwest looks...could be cool, strength in numbers, etc etc etc
                          Get it done!

Theoretically this should be one of the easiest options out there as it only takes organization from the conference heads to work it all out and sell it. That's a lot easier than trying to start a complete new conference from scratch.
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

There would be some merit to an A-10/MVC merger.

I think if you pitch scheduling just right (not STRICTLY according to east/west divisions) then there would be a huge collateral bonus- the poor sisters from each league would balk and drop down to lesser leagues. This might be something that would be done pre-merger or post-merger depending on how many votes the commissioners think they have. The end result would be a pretty strong 14-16 team league w/2 divisions.

Give me an A-10/MVC without Evansville, Fordham et al. and I would be in heaven. I doubt the leadership at the top of either league is savvy enough to pull that off though.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              Get it done!

Theoretically this should be one of the easiest options out there as it only takes organization from the conference heads to work it all out and sell it. That's a lot easier than trying to start a complete new conference from scratch.
                              And if we want to think real big....put the WCC in this as well (30 total teams). Three divisions: Atlantic, Valley and West ... divisional play with some interleague for revenue sports (men's hoops), then come March...you alternate the conference tournament between NYC, Chicago and LA or Seattle or somewhere. Gonzaga, BYU, St. Mary's, WSU, UNI, VCU, St. Joseph's, Richmond, etc etc...could be a good tournament, and the teams span the entire country but the divisional play makes it not too costly.

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
                                There would be some merit to an A-10/MVC merger.

I think if you pitch scheduling just right (not STRICTLY according to east/west divisions) then there would be a huge collateral bonus- the poor sisters from each league would balk and drop down to lesser leagues. This might be something that would be done pre-merger or post-merger depending on how many votes the commissioners think they have. The end result would be a pretty strong 14-16 team league w/2 divisions.

Give me an A-10/MVC without Evansville, Fordham et al. and I would be in heaven. I doubt the leadership at the top of either league is savvy enough to pull that off though.
                                This. Otherwise, you have two conferences who's remaining teams each would be ranked about or below where the WCC is now. Combine those two conferences and you gain nothing except more teams, but still have the same RPI ranking.

Don't take this political, but the Alt-10 is the most unstable right now, ultimately losing 7 of their 16 teams. Their best team just entered the conference (wonder how VCU feels about that right now). You need to reduce the number of bottomfeeders to be a top conference. For instance, add VCU, Richmond, St Joes, Murray St and Belmont to the Valley lineup. Or, reduce the Valley by a team or two and include LaSalle and St Bonney or GW to that lineup.

Comment

Working...
                                X