Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Wichita State, wanna join us in the A-10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Wichita State, wanna join us in the A-10?

Just throwing it out there. :banghead:

Honestly, probably not. That would be a good option if we were joining with Creighton, but the A10 as currently constructed just has too many horrible, horrible teams to balance out losing Xavier and Butler. Wouldn't be opposed to starting something new, with blackjack, and hookers.

Seriously though, I would fully support a new league basketball focused league made out of the WCC, A10, and MVC.

Comment

Completely understand. I empathize with you guys losing Creighton as well. Good luck to you guys with whatever happens.

Comment

the way our administration works, we'll probably do nothing and just stay in thi crappy conference

Comment

This conference will still probably be stronger than the A10. I want to find a better home as much as the next person, but an A10 without Xavier, Butler, Dayton and SLU isn't better than the MVC. Even the additions they'd make to replace those teams isn't going to do much. Even without CU, we have a resurgent Bradley and a solid UNI as well as an Illinois State that I think is going to be strong in a few years as well. If Indiana State could find a way to keep Lansing around....

With that said, the MWC is much better than the MVC and would be better than the C7.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            This conference will still probably be stronger than the A10. I want to find a better home as much as the next person, but an A10 without Xavier, Butler, Dayton and SLU isn't better than the MVC. Even the additions they'd make to replace those teams isn't going to do much. Even without CU, we have a resurgent Bradley and a solid UNI as well as an Illinois State that I think is going to be strong in a few years as well. If Indiana State could find a way to keep Lansing around....

With that said, the MWC is much better than the MVC and would be better than the C7.
            We are so damn close to the Front Range schools--I believe closer than some of the MVC schools if I remember right. If we could just be part of a package deal with a few other other midwestern schools so that the MWC could split into two divisions we would be golden.
            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
              We are so damn close to the Front Range schools--I believe closer than some of the MVC schools if I remember right. If we could just be part of a package deal with a few other other midwestern schools so that the MWC could split into two divisions we would be golden.
              The thing is, the MWC would love Houston and SMU and Tulsa. Houston and SMU have no interest and Tulsa wants to be with Houston and SMU. Tulsa relies heavily on Texas for recruiting both students and athletes.

Plus, the MWC said they're not interested in going above 12 and I don't see that changing unless BYU decides to join them. Or they get Texas schools. I have seen a fan or two mention adding a couple of nonfootball schools to strengthen basketball even more, but I'm not sure the conference itself has much interest in that.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I know few agree with me, but I prefer the Catholics.
                "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

I'm not sure that I agree with the common perception on ShockerNet on the subject of WSU moving to the A10 conference. The A10 without Butler, Xavier, Temple, Dayton, and St. Louis is still a very strong conference. This is especially true when you compare it to the Missouri Valley Conference without Creighton and WSU. What I did is I took the A10 and deleted the schools previously listed. The average RPI percentage for these schools is .538373. Then I took the MVC schools (less Creighton and WSU) and the average RPI percentage for these programs is .5143. The reason I did not include WSU in the MVC RPI is to do an apples to apples comparison of which conference remnants has the better programs and which would be a better fit for WSU.

The average RPI percentage for the remnant A10 programs would put it at right above the current Missouri Valley and just below the SEC in the current Conference RPI rankings. That would give it a ranking of 9. On the other hand, the remnant MVC programs would be ranked between Conference USA and the Horizon League with a ranking of 12 in the current conference RPI rankings.

After you take out WSU and Creighton, the highest ranked MVC school is Norther Iowa with a RPI percentage of .5529. 6 of the remnant A10 schools have a higher RPI percentage than Northern Iowa. Those programs are: (1) VCU - .6026, (2) LaSalle - .6009, (3) UMass - .5758, (4) Richmond - .5576, (5) Charlotte - .5615, and (6) St. Josephs - .5551.

If you were to add WSU to the remnant A10 programs the average RPI percentage would go up to .543458 which would stilll keep it in the same place of the current conference RPI rankings at 9, but it would be very close to the SEC RPI.

My conclusion is that it is vitally important for WSU to take a serious look at the A10 conference. Even with the defection of Temple and the rumored defections to the "New Big East" (Catholic 7) that it is actually a stronger conference than the MVC without Creighton and WSU. While the move to the Mountain West would be a better move, I just don't see that getting any traction beyond ShockerNet. I suspect that if the MWC were to consider looking at expanding its footprint that it is going to look to the west and perhaps absorb one or two WCC programs. While there are many variables to consider, I do not think that we should be dismissive of the A10 conference as something that we should strongly consider.

I would love to hear thoughts from others on this subject.

Remnant A10 Programs
                  Virginia Commonwealth 0.6026
                  La Salle 0.6009
                  Massachusetts 0.5758
                  Richmond 0.5576
                  Charlotte 0.5615
                  Saint Joseph's 0.5551
                  Saint Bonaventure 0.5347
                  George Washington 0.5174
                  Rhode Island 0.4868
                  Fordham 0.4607
                  Duquesne 0.469
                  Average RPI Percentage 0.53873

Remnant MVC Programs
                  Northern Iowa 0.5529
                  Evansville 0.5386
                  Illinois State 0.5271
                  Bradley 0.5012
                  Drake 0.5209
                  Missouri State 0.4704
                  Southern Illinois 0.489
                  Average RPI percentage 0.5143

Source: WarrenNolan.com

Last edited by Shocker-maniac; February 28, 2013, 11:33 PM. Reason: clarified the conference ranking of the remnant A10 programs above the MVC and below the SEC.
                  ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

UMass and Charlotte are leaving.

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
                      UMass and Charlotte are leaving.
                      Drats! That changes that. Oh well, had fun doing my little spreadsheet.
                      ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

The major practical consideration is that virtually all the schools leaving the A-10 are the western schools. The distance to every remaining A-10 opponent would be farther than to any school currently in the MVC. For the BB team that might not be a deal breaker because of charter flights, but for every other sport it would be a budgetary and academic disaster.
                        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

The A-10 might be a to add a George Mason, Old Dominion and still be decent.
                          In the fast lane

Comment

I think the A-10 is a very viable option. Its got a good core already plus I'd expect Bradley, ISUr, George Mason, or ODU would be interested.

Comment

ODU won't go. They just upgraded football. ISU would stick it out until they can move up in football. It costs a lot less to leave the MVC than the A10
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                              X