Don't let the door hit you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
    Could we still kick out Evansville? I'm OK with any scenario that doesn't involve Evansville.
    Could we retroactively do it for this year?
    Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

We'll be hearing from Jays fans that their loss to St. Mary's should be voided as St. Mary's was cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by SPEShockAlum View Post
        The same Evansville that beat us twice this year?
        That's the whole point. They're 17-13 and are just a mediocre team. If they performed well in the OOC, like say an Indiana State, then the losses don't look as bad.

Typical Evansville. Suck it up most of the way, then beat the good teams.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
          No matter the conference, I'm confident we have and will have the better program. And lets not pretend that the C7 is full of great teams. They have Georgetown and Marquette. But they also have Providence and DePaul. Nova could rebound and St. John's is ok. Their real power is coming from adding the top schools in the A10 and the fact that Fox is desperate for programming on their new station and is going to pay them well.

It's a solid conference that will probably be a little ahead of us, but still behind the ACC, SEC, XII, B1G and MWC. I'm not sure what to expect out of the new BE and the PAC is the weakest overall of the BcS conferences.
          If the 10 rumored teams are the full lineup, the new league would have 4 top 50 RPI teams, 4 50-100 RPI teams, and 2 100+ RPI teams. If Saint Louis and Dayton join the next year, add one each to the top 50 and 100+. This is all BEFORE the influx of cash that will come from their new TV deal.

They would not be "a little ahead of us." The MVC will be a one-bid league, and might occasionally get an at-large bid. The Catholic 7 would probably be a 5 or 6 bid league this year. Even if the increased competition dropped that to 4, that's still a major difference.

Sorry to say, the money difference between Creighton and WSU in this case would be absurd. They're likely looking at around $3 million per school from the TV deal. What does WSU get from the MVC's "TV" deal? As for the NCAA tournament, we'll be looking at one or two shares a year, and they'll be looking at something like four to eight. For the same number of teams to split. There's a decent chance that Creighton and every other Catholic/Big East team will be making $3-3.5million more than us, every season. You can't pretend like that is insignificant.

Whether we have the better program now or not is irrelevant. Who will have the program ten years down the line when Creighton has earned over $30 million more than WSU?
          Originally posted by BleacherReport
          Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
            That's the whole point. They're 17-13 and are just a mediocre team. If they performed well in the OOC, like say an Indiana State, then the losses don't look as bad.

Typical Evansville. Suck it up most of the way, then beat the good teams.
            True, but if they finish the year as a Top 100 RPI team, the losses don't look that bad. And it looks like they will do so.
            Originally posted by BleacherReport
            Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

No matter the conference, I'm confident we have and will have the better program. And lets not pretend that the C7 is full of great teams. They have Georgetown and Marquette. But they also have Providence and DePaul. Nova could rebound and St. John's is ok. Their real power is coming from adding the top schools in the A10 and the fact that Fox is desperate for programming on their new station and is going to pay them well.

It's a solid conference that will probably be a little ahead of us, but still behind the ACC, SEC, XII, B1G and MWC. I'm not sure what to expect out of the new BE and the PAC is the weakest overall of the BcS conferences.
              All time, the C-7 teams have received a total of 164 NCAA tournament bids. The ten current members of the MVC have received a total of 75 NCAA Tournament bids. The C-7 have 19 Final Fours. The ten current members of the MVC have 5 Final Fours. The C-7 have 3 NCAA Championships. The ten current members of the MVC have 0 NCAA Championships. WSU has the same number of NCAA Tournament bids (9) and Final Fours (1) as Seton Hall. Seton Hall has the fewest number of NCAA Tournament bids and Final Fours of all C-7 teams. The second lowest number of bids for a C-7 team is Providence with 15, only two fewer bids than the Cretins. Providence also has 2 Final Fours while the Cretins have none. So the two programs most of us believe to be the premier programs in the MVC have essentially the same number of all time NCAA Tournament bids as the two teams with the lowest number of bids from the C-7.

Villanova - 32 bids, 4 Final Fours, 1 Championship.
              Marquette - 30 bids, 3 Final Fours, 1 Championship.
              Georgetown - 28 bids, 5 Final Fours, 1 Championship.
              St. John's - 28 bids, 2 Final Fours.
              Depaul - 22 bids, 2 Final Fours.

While Depaul, Seton Hall and Providence have been down lately, I expect they will improve again due to the combination of the strength of the other C-7 programs and the strength of the programs that will be joining the C-7. Also, all the C-7 programs spend decent money. In fact, they all have expenses larger than WSU. In most cases twice as large.

Regarding the BCS conferences, I also think the C-7, even after they add some teams like Xavier and Butler, will be a step below the B1G (three or four really good teams at the top) and the ACC (but mostly due to the inclusion of Louisville, Syracuse, ND and Pitt) which is going to beat-up on everybody. But I think the C-7 will be inline with the Big12 and SEC, and definitely better than the Pac12 and what will become what is left of the new/old BigEast.

The C-7 will be a much, much better conference than the MVC. We will never receive an invite from the C-7. But if we did, we'd have to take it.
              "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

I would love to see Wichita State get an invite. Love it. I dont think Missouri State or Evansville fans would be happy, though.
                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

I think the C7 will be fine, but all of those histories don't guarantee anything. And they don't have any of what I would call dominating teams. Georgetown and Marquette will carry the conference. Xavier and Butler will add solid programs that can make noise. I don't expect much out of St. John's, Depaul or Providence. Especially the last two. Nova is the wildcard. Yes, it'll be better than the MVC, but I don't think it'll be as great as some believe. Especially the C7 fans who think they're guaranteed at least 5 bids every year.

I believe it'll rank behind the B1G, XII, ACC and the MWC for sure. I think it'll be behind the SEC most years as well and the PAC is the one that it may be able to be better than. But the PAC I believe is improving as well. I don't know what to think of the other half of the BE at this point. But they should be better than them. But to be honest, I could see the MVC, even without CU, becoming better than that group. Especially when someone pulls UConn and Cincy away.

And the Valley, even without CU, isn't destined to 1-bid status. WSU will still be an at-large player no matter what. It's not ALL about the conference. Bradley, with Ford, I expect to be in contention very soon and for the future. UNI will always be a threat to end up there with a solid but not dominant program. I think ISU will move in that direction with the young staff they have. I think Muller and his staff will have them competing in the future. Time will tell with them though. SIU is going to get better under Hinson. ISUb will be a contender for a spot as long as they can hold on to Lansing. He's done a pretty good job there. UE won't ever be a contender but they're going to be a scrappy bunch under Marty and have a respectable RPI. One that won't be a drag. And lets be honest, that's the thing that has hurt us recently. Teams like ISU, BU and SIU have been dragging our RPIs down. We only need for the lower schools to have better RPIs to help the top teams get in. And the scheduling mandate is back and that'll help those results.

I also have confidence that whoever the MVC adds to replace CU will be a school that will help the upper half of the conference. What we need is the bottom half of the conference finishing with an RPI better than 150. We can get there with the scheduling and current coaching in the MVC. The schools that can finish in the top 100 are WSU, ISU, ISUb, UNI, BU and UE. Doesn't mean they all will, but I think they'll all be capable of finishing there. That helps whoever the top 2 or 3 schools are in any given year. I honestly expect BU to be a team that can push us at the top in a few years and look forward to it.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I think the C7 will be fine, but all of those histories don't guarantee anything. And they don't have any of what I would call dominating teams. Georgetown and Marquette will carry the conference. Xavier and Butler will add solid programs that can make noise. I don't expect much out of St. John's, Depaul or Providence. Especially the last two. Nova is the wildcard. Yes, it'll be better than the MVC, but I don't think it'll be as great as some believe. Especially the C7 fans who think they're guaranteed at least 5 bids every year.

I believe it'll rank behind the B1G, XII, ACC and the MWC for sure. I think it'll be behind the SEC most years as well and the PAC is the one that it may be able to be better than. But the PAC I believe is improving as well. I don't know what to think of the other half of the BE at this point. But they should be better than them. But to be honest, I could see the MVC, even without CU, becoming better than that group. Especially when someone pulls UConn and Cincy away.

And the Valley, even without CU, isn't destined to 1-bid status. WSU will still be an at-large player no matter what. It's not ALL about the conference. Bradley, with Ford, I expect to be in contention very soon and for the future. UNI will always be a threat to end up there with a solid but not dominant program. I think ISU will move in that direction with the young staff they have. I think Muller and his staff will have them competing in the future. Time will tell with them though. SIU is going to get better under Hinson. ISUb will be a contender for a spot as long as they can hold on to Lansing. He's done a pretty good job there. UE won't ever be a contender but they're going to be a scrappy bunch under Marty and have a respectable RPI. One that won't be a drag. And lets be honest, that's the thing that has hurt us recently. Teams like ISU, BU and SIU have been dragging our RPIs down. We only need for the lower schools to have better RPIs to help the top teams get in. And the scheduling mandate is back and that'll help those results.

I also have confidence that whoever the MVC adds to replace CU will be a school that will help the upper half of the conference. What we need is the bottom half of the conference finishing with an RPI better than 150. We can get there with the scheduling and current coaching in the MVC. The schools that can finish in the top 100 are WSU, ISU, ISUb, UNI, BU and UE. Doesn't mean they all will, but I think they'll all be capable of finishing there. That helps whoever the top 2 or 3 schools are in any given year. I honestly expect BU to be a team that can push us at the top in a few years and look forward to it.
                    I'll have he's having.
                    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Make mine a double.

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                        True, but if they finish the year as a Top 100 RPI team, the losses don't look that bad. And it looks like they will do so.
                        Unfortunately their RPI jumped twice at our expense.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                        X