Referees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WSU4Life View Post
    Let me first clarify by mentioning that I do not believe the referees cost us this game against Evansville. However, in my state of frustration, I decided to do some research on my least favorite ref, Paul Janssen. Mr. Janssen has officiated 10 of our 53 conference games over the last 3 years, that comes out to 18.8%. Over those 3 years, we have a valley record of 42-11, good for a .793 winning percentage. Over that same time span, the Shox are only 5-5 in conference games officiated by Paul Janssen, a .500 winning percentage. Another way of looking at this is that 45.4% of our valley losses have came in the 18.8% of valley games that he has officiated. Additionally, if you were to remove "blow-outs" (games decided by over 10 points, where one could argue that officiating has much less to do with the outcome), the Shox are 1-5 over the past 3 conference seasons in games officiated by Paul Janssen, a .167 winning percentage. Also, note that our 1 non-blow-out win was this year's Illinois St. game for which his crew was publicly reprimanded.

I am not a statistician, so I can't speak to whether or not the sample size of games officiated by Paul Janssen is large enough to truly draw any conclusions. However, I just can't stand the way this guy officiates ball games and the numbers certainly tip to the fact that we perform well below average in games he officiates.

I did a little bit of research on two of my other least favorite officials, Randy McCall and, everyone's favorite, John Higgins. Our conference winning percentage over the last 3 years in games officiated by McCall and Higgins is .571 and .667, respectively.
    This might not mean anything and can easily be explained away. Let's say that the Valley believes that Janssen, Higgins and McCall are the best refs and want them officiating the most visible games. That could lead to a situation where Janssen is assigned to more games where WSU is expected to lose. Imagine a ref that is always assigned both Creighton games, at UNI and at IlSU every year. I'd be interested to see what the expected record of the Shox was in those games. If WSU was only favored in 6 of the games then you've got nothing. However if WSU was favored in 9 or all 10 of the games then you might be on to something.

Comment

Refs, smefs. We had a 53-49 lead with 8 minutes to go and we had the momentum. We hold Evansville to 7 points over the final 8 minutes. We go 1-13 from the field and 1-4 from the line. We grab 6 offensive rebounds during this time. We produce 3 points. The refs had very little, if anything, to do with this collapse at the end of the game.

We simply had no one on the court able to step up. 6 offensive rebounds tells you that the effort was there. But the bottom line was we simply could not put the ball in the basket.

Comment

I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Refs, smefs. We had a 53-49 lead with 8 minutes to go and we had the momentum. We hold Evansville to 7 points over the final 8 minutes. We go 1-13 from the field and 1-4 from the line. We grab 6 offensive rebounds during this time. We produce 3 points. The refs had very little, if anything, to do with this collapse at the end of the game.

We simply had no one on the court able to step up. 6 offensive rebounds tells you that the effort was there. But the bottom line was we simply could not put the ball in the basket.
          And this is the most depressing stat of all. Incredibly frustrating.

Comment

Stop making sense...

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

... you are about to effectively kill any hope of blaming the refs for last nights debacle.

As much as the ref conspiracy posse wants to find a reason, any reason to blame them, the refs didn't have anything to do with scoring 3 points over the last 8:31 of the game.

Think about that for a moment.

3 points over an 8:31 time period.

Those refs probably put an invisible plate over the rim at the under 8 minute time out.

Yea, that was it.

That is all.
            Above all, make the right call.

Comment

blame our free throw misses if you want to blame anything.

Comment

I've never understood this logic
                "Refs suck, they made horrible calls"
                "Refs didn't cause us to lose, we didn't execute"

Does it not stand to reason that having players like DW on the bench for most of the first half caused us not to execute? Does it not stand to reason that we can't get a putback when an Evansville player is hanging on and then there is no call?

Comment

Also Marty was workin the refs just as much as HCGM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockRef View Post
                    ... you are about to effectively kill any hope of blaming the refs for last nights debacle.

As much as the ref conspiracy posse wants to find a reason, any reason to blame them, the refs didn't have anything to do with scoring 3 points over the last 8:31 of the game.

Think about that for a moment.

3 points over an 8:31 time period.

Those refs probably put an invisible plate over the rim at the under 8 minute time out.

Yea, that was it.

That is all.
                    I'm still trying to find that one post that blamed the refs last night, could you help me out? I find a lot of these refs suck, but not why we lost posts.
                    Complaining about refs does not equal blaming them for a loss. If the refs sucked the refs sucked.

Refs do not win or lose games, but they can make it harder or easier for one team to win.
                    If on Saturday the refs call every bump or hand check on the defender who will that benefit WSU or CU?
                    If on Saturday the refs "let 'em play" and allow the defense a little more leeway who would that benefit?
                    The teams need to adjust but the way the game is called can benefit one team over the other.

Comment

Im on the refs case as much as anyone, but last night it wasnt the refs fault at all. You cannot end the game 1-13 from the field and expect to win. The object of the game is to put the ball in the basket, and we didnt do that. Plain and Simple.
                      Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
                        Also Marty was workin the refs just as much as HCGM.
                        maybe, but he didn't whine and cry as much.

Comment

Working...
                        X