Referees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Referees

Let me first clarify by mentioning that I do not believe the referees cost us this game against Evansville. However, in my state of frustration, I decided to do some research on my least favorite ref, Paul Janssen. Mr. Janssen has officiated 10 of our 53 conference games over the last 3 years, that comes out to 18.8%. Over those 3 years, we have a valley record of 42-11, good for a .793 winning percentage. Over that same time span, the Shox are only 5-5 in conference games officiated by Paul Janssen, a .500 winning percentage. Another way of looking at this is that 45.4% of our valley losses have came in the 18.8% of valley games that he has officiated. Additionally, if you were to remove "blow-outs" (games decided by over 10 points, where one could argue that officiating has much less to do with the outcome), the Shox are 1-5 over the past 3 conference seasons in games officiated by Paul Janssen, a .167 winning percentage. Also, note that our 1 non-blow-out win was this year's Illinois St. game for which his crew was publicly reprimanded.

I am not a statistician, so I can't speak to whether or not the sample size of games officiated by Paul Janssen is large enough to truly draw any conclusions. However, I just can't stand the way this guy officiates ball games and the numbers certainly tip to the fact that we perform well below average in games he officiates.

I did a little bit of research on two of my other least favorite officials, Randy McCall and, everyone's favorite, John Higgins. Our conference winning percentage over the last 3 years in games officiated by McCall and Higgins is .571 and .667, respectively.

We didn't lose the game because of officiating tonight but that crew, in general, sucks.

Paul Janssen is the ABSOLUTE worst. I cannot for the life of me understand why he continues to be allowed to officiate Division I basketball. And this doesn't just count tonight. I've watched a fair share of basketball this year, and in previous years, with him officiating non-WSU games. He is NOT good. Not even close.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by WSU4Life View Post
      Mr. Janssen has officiated 10 of our 53 conference games over the last 3 years, that comes out to 18.8%. Over those 3 years, we have a valley record of 42-11, good for a .793 winning percentage. Over that same time span, the Shox are only 5-5 in conference games officiated by Paul Janssen, a .500 winning percentage. Another way of looking at this is that 45.4% of our valley losses have came in the 18.8% of valley games that he has officiated. Additionally, if you were to remove "blow-outs" (games decided by over 10 points, where one could argue that officiating has much less to do with the outcome), the Shox are 1-5 over the past 3 conference seasons in games officiated by Paul Janssen, a .167 winning percentage.
      I'm not one into conspiracy theories, but if your numbers are correct (and I have no reason to dispute them) that is a stunning record.

I would add, imho, that coach does himself no favors when he thinks he's working the officials 90% of the time.

Wow....nearly 50% of our losses for a team that wins 80% of it's games. I kinda of hope Gregg doesn't see this...in fact I'm sure I hope he doesn't.

Comment

Chris Jans had to coach the team much of the first half because GM would not get off the refs. I remember two years ago when the team told GM they did not want to go to the NIT if he didn't agree to calm down. I think we are at a similar place right now. If you have to scream at Early, Wiggins, Lufile to get their attention, then, imho, you are doing something wrong. Calm down Greg. You are a great coach.
        "Two dribbles and a ham sandwich" ~ Gregg Marshall
        Wichita State, a team long on grit, made everything it shot. ~ Normal, Ill. newspaper 2/19/13

Comment

it was intersting how they called that foul on EO where Ryan basically dribbled in front of EO and then fell down. Janssen then walked over to Ryan to tell him to stop flopping. If you knew it was a flop, why the heck did you call the foul on EO?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            I'm not one into conspiracy theories, but if your numbers are correct (and I have no reason to dispute them) that is a stunning record.

I would add, imho, that coach does himself no favors when he thinks he's working the officials 90% of the time.

Wow....nearly 50% of our losses for a team that wins 80% of it's games. I kinda of hope Gregg doesn't see this...in fact I'm sure I hope he doesn't.
            I know this is tin-foil hat crazy and I only mean it as such, but the first thought that popped into my mind when I saw those numbers was wondering how often the favorite covers games Janssen officiates.

Again, I strongly assume it is a statistical anomaly as 10 is basically no sample size at all. I also don't know Janssen from Adam as I don't follow refs very closely. But speaking of conspiracy theories I wanted to share my random thought.
            Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Was Janssen the small white haired guy?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                it was intersting how they called that foul on EO where Ryan basically dribbled in front of EO and then fell down. Janssen then walked over to Ryan to tell him to stop flopping. If you knew it was a flop, why the heck did you call the foul on EO?
                yeah, we discussed that as well

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  I didnt think they called a foul. But I had a heartl/stevens explanation, so there is that....
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Game was too rough. They let it get too rough, then they have to clean it up and disrupt the flow. Jeeeze.......

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                      Was Janssen the small white haired guy?
                      No, that's Randy McCall. Zelton is the bald fellow. Paul is the black haired guy.

Comment

Zelton steed is the worst official in the league bar non! That guy sucks with a capitol S.
                        I smell Bluejay puntang and the only good Bluejay puntang is dead Bluejay puntang

Comment

Originally posted by Fredster View Post
                          Chris Jans had to coach the team much of the first half because GM would not get off the refs. I remember two years ago when the team told GM they did not want to go to the NIT if he didn't agree to calm down. I think we are at a similar place right now. If you have to scream at Early, Wiggins, Lufile to get their attention, then, imho, you are doing something wrong. Calm down Greg. You are a great coach.
                          I like to think I follow the shockers pretty closely and I have never heard anything like this. The players told coach to calm down or they werent going to go to the nit? Really that **** cray!!
                          I smell Bluejay puntang and the only good Bluejay puntang is dead Bluejay puntang

Comment

I have been a season ticket holder since Tuergon came and I am so sick of being mad a crappy refs I am considering letting the tix go and spend the money on something that doesn't piss me off so much. That being said, we didn't completly lose the game due to officiating. Do we want to see them again in STL so the team can send them packing like they should have last night? The pimps???? Are you kidding me???? Thanks for letting me rant I feel better. But seriously Evansville.. got to get out of this conference.

Comment

Bitching about the officials has some merit. Coach brings a lot of this on himself. He's better than he was, but still too over-the-top. Besides they all have long memories, they all hold grudges and play favorites, regardless of what our on-board officials might say. The same is true of teachers, pastors, etc. That's just the way it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X