An interesting game going on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wsu789
    Royal, while I'm hopeful and enthusiastic about our incoming class, I have felt the same way about Turgeon-recruited classes in the past that didn't pan out. So, I'd say we don't really not what level of player (except Griskenas) Marshall will be bringing in. But, on paper, looks pretty good.
    And that's really my frame of reference. Those "diamonds in the rough", or "sleepers", were that way on paper. As for highly recruited or highly rated players that Turgeon (and staff) actually landed and came here I will give him/them credit for Miller, Cooz, Ogirri and Mekel. Maybe Kampman, as he was getting some looks from Iowa and Iowa State, IIRC. The only other reputable prep recruits were Sowers and Butler. But they didn't work out, so they get left off.

The other key players were either risks (Howard, Holman), transfers (Wise, Wilson, Bradley) or jucos (Martin).

So, out of seven recruiting classes, Turgeon and Co. landed 4, maybe 5, solid, high school/prep prospects.

Compare that with Marshall, using the same criteria and assuming all the recruits get here. Since they haven't played yet, we'll just call them "candidates". Stutz, Murry and Kyles appear to be, at a minimum, solid signings. They are well-regarded and were generating a lot of interested when they committed. Aaron Ellis is borderline since his situation was unique. Not sure how much actual recruitment it took to get him here over Colorado State. Orukpe doesn't count because he basically was already committed to Liberty, then committed here with Okon.

So, after two classes, Marshall already has 3, maybe 4 "candidates" for solid recruiting wins.

Comment

Hey Denzel, 5 players foul out of the game last night, it goes to 5 overtimes and you still didn't sniff the court. Wow! I bet you are patting yourself on the back that you made the right decision to go to A&M. Sitting the bench your entire career, or getting playing time in a Top 8 conference team, hmmmm.....Well, good luck to ya'.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
        Hey Denzel, 5 players foul out of the game last night, it goes to 5 overtimes and you still didn't sniff the court. Wow! I bet you are patting yourself on the back that you made the right decision to go to A&M. Sitting the bench your entire career, or getting playing time in a Top 8 conference team, hmmmm.....Well, good luck to ya'.
        WOW. That is something. Almost unexplainable when so many folks foul out.

Comment

To be fair, until late in the 5th OT, only two aTm players had fouled out. It was Baylor that fouled out five guys.

Comment

Re: Turg

Originally posted by Dan
            He's mentioned a number of times how he has more privacy in College Station, people don't bother him in public, etc. Well, he's now learning that the fans have unrealistically high expectations of their teams and coaches. Coaches aren't overpraised when they do well - they are expected to do well - and they are way over criticized when they don't do well. He's just now learning how critical the fanbase can be down there.
            All that from a school that has zero tradition in basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers
              Turg will eventually be fired down there. Very, very few coaches leave of their own accord. No I don't think the fans or the administration would take him back, even those who wish him well.
              Yep.

Comment

A&M

It was complete apathy until BG turned the program around. Now all of a sudden, they expect nothing but the best. When I went to school there, there were only about 2,000-3,000 people at the basketball games. Granted, the team was bad but there was no support at all. The fans would justify it by saying "football is the only sport that matters in Texas". Now all of a sudden, A&M is on the national map and the fans come out in droves and act like they're a perennial power house.

Comment

Working...
                X