Ron Baker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BOBB View Post
    Didn't Nate Funk get 9 to play 6 or some such?
    Yes. But you're forgetting the "fair-haired boy" rule. Why that rule only seems to apply to the Funks, McDermotts, and Kochs of the world is still beyond me. Jake White would be all league at UNI. But he wouldn't get to play basketball.

Anyway, hope Ron mends quickly and fully.

Comment

If Ron touches the court during mop up minutes after we build a 20 point lead on evansville I am going to freak out.

I'm just realizing that its a growing possibility as the days go by :)

A great team that seems to be peaking might be about to add another solid player!

Correct me if I missed something. The time is near, right?

Comment

Ron said on Twitter a few days ago that he expects to be back for the MVC Tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
          If Ron touches the court during mop up minutes after we build a 20 point lead on evansville I am going to freak out.

I'm just realizing that its a growing possibility as the days go by :)

A great team that seems to be peaking might be about to add another solid player!

He will not get on the floor for the UE game.
          The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post

I would be concerned at this point about whose minutes Baker would get and any chemistry/rotation issues. Each player's role is pretty clearly defined right now and adding a player at this late stage could upset that somewhat.

The concern would probably be that Wiggins minutes would suffer most and a question arise of how effective Baker can be on defense playing on weakened legs. I don't see DWill's or Cotton's minutes being reduced because they contribute well on both ends of the court. Armstead has been playing a lot at the #2 and I don't see Baker getting those minutes.

I don't expect Baker to step in and score 12-15 points. Being available to spell the core group would be great and 2-4 baskets from him would be a huge contribution, IMO.

--'85.
            Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

If Baker can play, he plays. You don't sit a starter when he's healthy out of fear of disrupting chemistry. He gives another outside threat and improves the defense. Yes, maybe Wiggy would see less time. Perhaps Cotton is able to get a few less minutes to save his legs/body because another solid defender could step in some. Perhaps the same for DWill who is obviously beat up some. At this point, you're only talking about 10-15 minutes. That'd be taking maybe three or so minutes from the above. Not going to kill them and may potentially help in the long run.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                If Baker can play, he plays. You don't sit a starter when he's healthy out of fear of disrupting chemistry. He gives another outside threat and improves the defense. Yes, maybe Wiggy would see less time. Perhaps Cotton is able to get a few less minutes to save his legs/body because another solid defender could step in some. Perhaps the same for DWill who is obviously beat up some. At this point, you're only talking about 10-15 minutes. That'd be taking maybe three or so minutes from the above. Not going to kill them and may potentially help in the long run.
                I hope you're right. The team is just playing well and seems to have overcome the bug-a-boos that resulted in the 3 game slide. I have to wonder about Baker's effectiveness cutting to keep up on defense. Maybe an unfounded concern. Even if he spells the other guys earlier in games and they still close out the games, they are all just a little fresher. Also, the way this team needs to play, having 5 more fouls available could be useful (odd thing to say, I know, but valid, IMO).
                Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

St. Louis is when those ~10 minutes a game will help the most.

I am sure the staff would love RB to get a few minutes before St. Louis to work a little on chemistry and test RB in a gametime scenario before it's a situation of win or go home. But clearly the recovery schedule is the number one priority.
                  Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

I'm not worried about his ability to cut or anything else. He's not going to play until the foot is ready to go.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I'm sure we won't roll him out till he can play effectively. I was thinking if there is a big enough cushion that he wouldn't really even have to play hard, we might see him just for the fun if it. I really don't know where he is at though. The fact that no one does makes me wonder if coach is staying silent on it for a reason or just because he really isn't going to play this year and its not worth talking about.

Comment

I would expect Ron's minutes the remainder of this year to be very limited and situational (needing a shooter if one of MA/DW/CE/NW are fouled out). Looking forward to much more of him next season. Things are going poorly or he is the story of the year if he is getting 10 minutes.
                        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Anything that WSU can get out of Baker, the better. But if he isn't to return, it isn't the end of the world.

Comment

I think he could potentially be a zone buster in St. Louis. It could save some of our legs and we can expect to see zone from just about everyone and their dog.
                            You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Baker in game uni and warming up!

Comment

Making thres from 5 ft beyond the arc.
                                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                                ---------------------------------------
                                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                                X