BracketBuster suddenly meaningful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
    A Creighton loss would continue their slide and put them closer to the bubble. If they would then lose one of their last two Valley games they would go into St. Louis clearly on the bubble.

Creighton opens up as a 5 point underdog.
    I am glad to see the BB go. This is a bad situation for Cu. I believe St. Mary's only loss at home this year is to Gonzaga (a potential one seed). Cu comes in as a 5 point underdog and if they lose they are in bubble trouble.

Comment

Great BB game on ESPN2.

Akron was up by 20, but a 14-0 run cuts the lead to 6. 47-41 with 7:30 left.

Comment

Detroit has nothing to be ashamed of. They were hustling and diving for balls and came to play. Even so, us not losing does NOT hurt our resume'. Losing this game could be like pullin into a burger parlor, ordering a triple cheesebuga, a supersized batch of fries, an extra-large shake, and then a stinkin route 66 diet soda? As WstateU would say, "yipes, Stripes, Beechnot Gum." If the calorie count don't pulverize yourn arteries, the aspertame could be like sipping on antifreeze on a cold blizzard day at 21st and Hillside.

Not only was that such a fun game, we showed our fine City, and the viewers on ESPN2, that we play Defense with the best of them, and even though our foes all seriously think they can win here, winning here is harder than pullin hens teeth. Now the masse understand this fact in a crystal clear way. We put another notch in our winning belt that helps take the guess work out of whether we Dance, but rather where do they seed us.
        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

BB games are worthless.. The winners are most likely going to get in anyway, the only thing this does is solidify to the committee the losers will not get in, in most cases. Creighton? Most likely was in before this game.. St. Mary's? Most likely in before the Creighton game anyway. Detroit? Good team, but is from a one bid conference and that team is Valpo this year, Detroit only has a shot if they can win tourney.. UNI?? Had an outside chance before this game took place, a win against St. Mary's, Creighton, and us then riding a 6-game win streak (a few more wins and a run at Arch could have put them with a pretty high RPI and some quality wins, and close losses to quality teams.)

Overall, the best thing that happened is that the MVC went 7-3 (and that is arguable), but it doesn't help when your top three goes 1-2. The rest of the games for the Valley were against terrible teams that have no business in the conversation, the best win from the Valley, outside of WSU, would be Illinois State..
          Last edited by Shocks2005; February 24, 2013, 12:08 AM.

Comment

I'm prerty sue WSU will be getting away from BB games.
            In the fast lane

Comment

I'm sure the media will create some "NEW" idea to generate games late in the year.. BB was centered on a great idea, and was killed by ESPN..

Comment

I was not a fan of bracketbusters as we knew it. However, I'd be open to the idea of a "new" bracketbusters that only invited the top teams from the top non-BCS conferences, with a minimum RPI requirement, and a guarantee that teams would be matched based on RPI instead of TV ratings.
                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

That is what BB was supposed to be, then ESPN decided to turn it into "lets include every team from every mid-major conference.." I think it would be nice to include maybe only the top 6-8 teams, but then again, these teams this late in the year have either already have a good enough resume built or this will only hurt them this far into the season.. I really don't see any potential for the "winners" to truly gain that much, unless you are getting some top-25 mid-major matchups.

Comment

Turns out BB was meaningful by making sure if we lose to Creighton we would be relegated to the 2 seed.

Comment

Not that it makes a bit of difference at this point but it's interesting that 3G view on BracketBusters is pretty favorable:

“I like BracketBusters,” WSU coach Gregg Marshall said. “It gets you on a national stage against another good team. A lot of folks from ESPN picked Detroit to beat us. They didn’t think we could play that pace. Now maybe that rumor is dispelled. "

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2013/02/23/268...#storylink=cpy

Then again not sure there are many challenges 3G would not relish.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                        Turns out BB was meaningful by making sure if we lose to Creighton we would be relegated to the 2 seed.
                        Typical.

Have to babysit the baby.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

What is Detroit's feelings?? Every team that wins of course likes BB, it does give a national game. What is the percentage of BB losers that have made the dance?

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                            The way the shockers are playing lately, I don't care if we are the 10 seed. In St. Louis we are still playing the same old valley teams. 1 or 2 only means the difference between getting so ill, drake, swd2mosuCC, or the pimps/toasters/professional whiners.

We are capable of beating every valley team that weekend, regardless of seeding...

Besides, creighton still pretty much has to win their next game and then beat the best team they will play all year for this to even be an issue

Comment

The non-con RPI numbers that were given by the Valley officials were wrong. I checked with one of the ratings (can't remember which one) and they had the Shockers as close to 70 last week also in non-con RPI (not far off from this weeks). Creighton was close to this weeks RPI too.

Comment

Working...
                              X