Goaltending or Block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goaltending or Block?

Thought's on last night's controversial call?

Here's slow motion replay video. Too close to make that call.

Also, here's a link to Bruce Haertl's reaction... http://www.kwch.com/kwch-video-contr...4.premiumvideo

Comment

Originally posted by Caleb Wilson View Post

Why do you think it was too close to call? Seems clearly a block to me.

Comment

Traveling then block. Orukpe was mostly outside (in front of the circle); the ball was not on its way down.

Comment

Originally posted by Caleb Wilson View Post

http://www.kwch.com/kwch-raw-video-g...3.premiumvideo

Pretty definitive from the video it was definitely a block. But you don't put yourself in the place where a ref judgement call can mean the difference between a win or loss.

Comment

Pendelton dropped his shoulder and initiated contact in the hopes of drawing a foul. Good move on his part, probably a good no-call. He travels obviously. Somebody should have had the balls to make that call. Next, the ball is not moving downward. It's a block.

Comment

A possible charge, a definite travel and then a block.
              In the fast lane

Comment

In slow mo it appears the ball is still in an upward trajectory and is just beginning to level out, but has clearly not begun its descent. I think the movement of the camera itself against the stands in the background makes it more difficult to see, but if you concentrate on just the ball it is pretty clear. What baffles me is that in real time, it appears even more to still be ascending--I mean it's not even close. Helen Keller would have called that a block. This is the mother of blown calls on a scale not seen since the Packers-Seahawks hail mary. I usually don't complain too much about officiating but the a**hole ref who made this call needs to face some sort of repercussions. You can't make a game deciding call like this if you're not absolutely sure you saw what you saw, and this wasn't even close to being debatable.

With that said, I am way more upset at us for letting the a**hole ref decide this game. We should have won by 30. We were bound to lose a few games we should have won, it happens to every team--but not playing this epically crappy in as many games in a row like this. They need to get their heads right because there's not many who are playing right now anywhere close to their ability.
                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Block!
                  I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

During the last play of the game, the ideal action is for the refs to stay out of it unless something egregious takes place. There aren't too many players in the country that could make that block so I don't fault the refs for getting it wrong. It was close to dropping but hadn't. As others have said, there should have been a 20 point spread at that juncture of the game. We screwed ourselves last night plain and simple.

T

...:cool:

Comment

EO was so 'sky high' that the ref could not handle the truth? Here is what is what the 'rose colored glasses eternal optimist fsf fan' witnessed and where I am at with it all now. We were ahead around 17 and I was higher than a kite. Then I was numb as a nominal but hungry team, at the very best, took me on a roller coaster painful ride that was "lower than a snake" with a 25-3 or so run. Really? Whatever, because we will still win? Now it gets hairy, so see if this scenerio matches remotely what you experienced from here at the bloody end.

We have a chance to seal the deal--but hark--shot clock goes off and we are farting around. Really?

So with the game tied, here is what I witnessed from my perspective.

They penetrate and D-Will goes down--no call--I am cool with that.

Their player takes a posssible extra jab 1/2 step due to the contact--no call-- okay, it happens. No problem.

The shot is realeased--EO is above the square and swats it down and out like a gnat--ooops--I hear this whistle--I expected it--we are used to it--a call was made now of couse--was it really goal-tending--very close but i doubt it--but a call was finally made and on the road--it happens.

So we throw the ball in, 1 second expires as 3G beckons for a timeout that the whole world saw that watched the game "except 3 folk"--but hark--still again no call. Why? A "fair weathered Shocker fan" answered that very question just for fsf today so I finally had some perspective I can deal with. After all, I am not a ref and these calls and 'no calls' were close calls and we put our own selves in a very vulnerable position.

This person dared to say this--"We should have been so far ahead of this team that the close calls would not have been an issue whatsoever." Okay, I am back on track now. Why didn't I think of that? Next!!!!!
                      Last edited by forevershockerfan; February 6, 2013, 08:06 PM.
                      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Any rule that automatically awards a team points should be reviewable. There is a natural stoppage in the game. That is a major flaw in the current rulebook.
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I think it's harder for the referee to determine whether the ball has reached it apex when looking at it from the floor level. He decided to make a judgment call that was wrong. From the camera view, you can tell it hadn't started down yet.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                            I think it's harder for the referee to determine whether the ball has reached it apex when looking at it from the floor level. He decided to make a judgment call that was wrong. From the camera view, you can tell it hadn't started down yet.
                            Not only that but he was trailing the play and I'm not sure he realized from his prespective how far away from basket EO was. The Ref probably thought the play was right at the rim instead of 3 foot in front of the rim.

I think Higgins was on the baseline, maybe under the basket. Not sure what his perspective was. The other ref was on the right sideline at about the top of the key. He had a much better perspective than the ref who made the call who was further from the basket and more toward the center of the court.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              Any rule that automatically awards a team points should be reviewable. There is a natural stoppage in the game. That is a major flaw in the current rulebook.
                              That is a damn good point.
                              "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Working...
                              X