Podcast with Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
    Our other option is to target mid level BCS schools for home and homes that have potential to be contenders in 2 years when they return the game to Koch.
    That is a good plan. However it is hard to figure those teams out in the year they do it, let alone two years out.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      I got a feeling after the last two years that ESPN would cover WSU vs VCU in a heartbeat.
      I think that too.

Comment

And many of those schools try to pretend that they're better than they are and won't go for it.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
          I'm not opposed to doing a modified version of what Gonzaga did. We still have to play home games and we need some decent teams for that, but as long as we're not pimping ourselves out to everyone, it could be done. Only top level programs that would guarantee national TV. Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State, Michigan, Indiana, Arizona, Florida.... Top 15 types. And ones that do it just about every year and aren't just riding a couple of good recruiting classes. Preferably some teams in the South, but I wouldn't be too picky.
          those would be the ones that I think you could get away with as well. Probably add UNC, Syracuse (though I doubt they do that again!), Uconn, and UCLA because they have the names to get on TV. If we are looking to get the name out and get on TV, you have to go with household names, not just Top 15 every year, though they do usually go hand in hand.

Comment

Gonzaga actually built their rep not by taking buy games at the VERY top programs (Duke, Kentucky, UNC, etc.). Instead, they strategically chose top 20ish teams who could get ESPN coverage and still give the Zags a chance at a W. Teams like Illinois, Washington etc. were the focus of their efforts in the early/mid 2000s.

I think just blindly calling Duke or whoever looks like #1 that season and begging for a buy game is less productive than taking one from a team who is in the 10-25 range (with the caveat that they have the name to guarantee ESPN coverage). A win against #14 looks a lot better than getting stomped by #1.

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
              Gonzaga actually built their rep not by taking buy games at the VERY top programs (Duke, Kentucky, UNC, etc.). Instead, they strategically chose top 20ish teams who could get ESPN coverage and still give the Zags a chance at a W. Teams like Illinois, Washington etc. were the focus of their efforts in the early/mid 2000s.

I think just blindly calling Duke or whoever looks like #1 that season and begging for a buy game is less productive than taking one from a team who is in the 10-25 range (with the caveat that they have the name to guarantee ESPN coverage). A win against #14 looks a lot better than getting stomped by #1.
              You obviously only schedule the teams you believe you have a decent shot at beating. I'm opposed to doing buy games with fair teams and just threw out the names of some off the top of my head. I'd be cautious about Syracuse and UConn just because they are programs that were essentially built by one coach, and that coach is leaving or no longer there. I guess in the short term, it'd be alright, but I question them going forward until proven otherwise.

Finding teams that fit this in the south would also be huge considering where we recruit. I'd love to see us actually try to get a H/H with Bama, Georgia/GT, South Carolina. I'd also probably sell out for Texas. They'll be better than they are this year and that name carries a lot of weight. Although we could get that chance in KC next year.

No matter what, a game would have to be carried on a network in order to accept these.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
              X