Marshall Henderson of Ole Miss taunts Auburn fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ABC View Post
    Exaggerate much, or probably a whole bunch? Lighten up Francis.
    Sorry. It's my opinion. Have you ever seen angry people begin a riot at a sporting event? I've usually seen them at NBA events with players going into the stands after fans who berate them but I saw a high school event in Kansas fairly recently where the fans attacked each other and it spilled onto the court and players. I've also seen fans attack referees. Not a funny thing and quite dangerous.

I guess I should just chuckle and move on. :)

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
      Sorry. It's my opinion. Have you ever seen angry people begin a riot at a sporting event? I've usually seen them at NBA events with players going into the stands after fans who berate them but I saw a high school event in Kansas fairly recently where the fans attacked each other and it spilled onto the court and players. I've also seen fans attack referees. Not a funny thing and quite dangerous.

I guess I should just chuckle and move on. :)
      Oh really? And how many times have you seen this in the NBA as compared to say..... Soccer

Comment

If that type of behavior became commonplace and accepted in college basketball I wouldn't pay to see another game, which also means I probably wouldn't watch one on TV either, no matter who is playing.

Just no place for that in amateur sports, IMO.

Comment

Dang, I'm surprised he was not bathed in beer or blindsided by a Gatorade projectile. I haven't seen that kind of reaction since the ol' All Star Wrestling days. Baron Von Raschke would have been envious of that performance !!

Comment

That is bush league bull. I assure you that if there was a next time around, any coach I had would have gladly taken a flagrant in retaliation for that one. Respect the game and your opponents. Go play soccer.
            Robin Roberts: "My mother used to say, when you strut, you stumble."

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
              Actually I believe (though this will never happen) that could have been called a technical _after the game was over_, with players being brought back to the court and getting to shoot foul shots with zero time on the clock. @ShockRef can you confirm?
              Per the Federation, the game isn't technically over until the officials leave the court. You CAN give a T after the final horn as I believe was done here in Kansas at one of the State tournaments within the last 6 or 7 years as a kid decided to go grab and hang on the rim after his team won. I don't remember if that ended up costing them the game or not. I came close to doing it once when a coach felt he needed to express himself as soon as the horn sounded. I was trapped along the sidelines and he shut his trap as soon as I pulled my whistle back out. One more word and he was getting it.

With that said, as officials we're pretty much instructed to bust our ass off the court after a tight game like that and use tunnel vision along the way. It's not something we want to do, but by definition, it's within our abilities to do so. If that's the same at the college level, I don't know for sure. However, much of the rules are the same between the two.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

SubGod has it down pat..

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                Actually I believe (though this will never happen) that could have been called a technical _after the game was over_, with players being brought back to the court and getting to shoot foul shots with zero time on the clock. @ShockRef: can you confirm?
                It depends if the officials have indeed approved the final score and left the floor.

If they have, their jurisdiction ends.

If they haven't, a Class 1 Unsportsmanlike Dead Ball Technical Foul COULD be called.

Personally, once the game is over, we get off the floor ASAP.

We don't wait around for celebrations or whatever this could be called.

That is all.
                Above all, make the right call.

Comment

So, I'm curious - has his coach taken a position on this publicly?
                  I think it as bush league as you can get - I like the "Act like you've been there before" approach.

My sign-off below applies to players as well . . .
                  If you take the high road, you won't find much traffic there . . .

Comment

Frankly, if I was the President of Ole Miss, I'd have a talk with the AD and Coach letting them know this is not how we want the school to be represented. If it happens again, expect a self-imposed suspension on any player.

I'd prefer that the refs wouldn't get involved after the game was over, but it would send the strongest message if FTs from a T allowed Auburn to win. Good sportsmanship shouldn't stop after the buzzer.

Wasn't there an incident last year where a player bounced the ball and got a T. Don't remember if it was after time had run out however.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post
                      Oh really? And how many times have you seen this in the NBA as compared to say..... Soccer
                      Have you seent the soccer hooligans in say Great Britain? I'm not a soccer fan and would agree that they have a much bigger problem and blackeye on their sport than the NBA.

Comment

Originally posted by Rixtoy1 View Post
                        So, I'm curious - has his coach taken a position on this publicly?
                        I think it as bush league as you can get - I like the "Act like you've been there before" approach.

My sign-off below applies to players as well . . .

Dude their coach is Andy Kennedy who has been a basketball coach for about a decade at both Cincinnati and Ole Miss. If you have heard of him before it is probably because he got arrested for assaulting a taxi driver. I don't think he takes exception to what Henderson is doing.

Comment

Working...
                        X