No announcement yet.

Exceeding expectations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is interesting that Chris Lamb has expressed the same sentiment about timeouts for the volleyball team as Marshall did in the article. Both coaches clearly want to have players that are able to figure things out on their own rather than leaning on the coach to bail them out and given the success of both of those coaches, it is hard to argue with the approach.
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I'm not about to take my eyes off this year as the "present" has been so much fun the last 4 seasons. But I love reading stuff like this and thinking, yeah, Early, Cotton, Baker, Wessel, Wiggins, White, VanVleet, Lufile.....that's a nice nucleus for next year.

Then I think....Kadeem Coleby. He'll be the best post player in the league. Mark my words.

Coleby, Early, Wessel, Baker and VanVleet should get every first place vote in the preseason poll.

Comment

So lets say HCGM wins national coach of the year, if they stay on this run I think thats reality. Do we understand how many offers will come his way? I think a lot. But I also think he knows what he's got here and he's proven he can hang with anyone in the nation with the program he's built. I'm not trying to start the worrying game but I also know what the past has shown us. I've been happy to see that Marshall isn't like a lot of other coaches so I'm hoping he keeps this run going and keeps exceeding expectations!

Comment

If a guy like Turgeon was being talked about for national coach of the year my first thought would be, "oh no, if he wins it we're going to be looking for a new coach."

With a guy like Marshall my first thought is "man I hope he wins that because I'd love to see what kind of players he could bring here with that in his arsenal."

NIT championship, 2 consecutive Valley championships, Valley tournament champions, 2 straight NCAA bids, national coach of the year, AND a run to the elite 8? Obviously most of that might not come to pass but, hey, it'd be a lot cooler if it did.

Comment

There is absolutely no reason not to pull for GM to win the National Coach of the Year award. He certainly deserves. Even if he doesn't win it, he has already gained tremendous notoriety and well deserved fame throughout the entire NCAA BB community to include the media. Does anyone honestly think that there is a big, bad BCS school that is unaware of what he has already accomplished. And he will likely be considered for just about every coaching vacancy coming up for as long as he remains a coach.

Hopefully, he will only seriously consider (and who coiuld blame him) offers that come from no more than the top 7-10 elite BB schools in the land. If, however, for example the Duke, KU, NC, etc., coaching position opened up and their coach had to resign because of health reasons, and not because they had three or four consecutive bad seasons and he would have to start from stratch building them back up, then we might be in deep trouble.

I hope to hell he wins it and of course along with a National Championship this year for you know who!

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              I'm not about to take my eyes off this year as the "present" has been so much fun the last 4 seasons. But I love reading stuff like this and thinking, yeah, Early, Cotton, Baker, Wessel, Wiggins, White, VanVleet, Lufile.....that's a nice nucleus for next year.

Then I think....Kadeem Coleby. He'll be the best post player in the league. Mark my words.

Coleby, Early, Wessel, Baker and VanVleet should get every first place vote in the preseason poll.
              But what if someone else starts? I'm thinking colorfully.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                Worried? Who's worried?

*Wink*

You sleep well tonight.
                Probably my favorite Marshall quote

Comment

And Chadrack (Rack) will be a real bruiser and rebounder as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                    Probably my favorite Marshall quote
                    The quote was after he was asked if he was worried that the loss to Illinois State in the MVC tournament might drop WSU's seeding in the NCAA tournament. Marshall said, "Are you worried? I'm not worried. Are you worried? You shouldn't be. Sleep well tonight."

Comment

You wouldn't be thinking of a Coleby, Early, Wiggins, Cotton, VanVleet with Ron Baker, Evan Wessel, Nick Wiggins, Chadrack Lufile, Jake White, Shaq Morris, Earl Watson, Derail Greene, Ria'n Holland and D.J. Bowles coming off the bench?

Comment

You wouldn't be thinking of a Coleby, Early, Wiggins, Cotton, VanVleet with Ron Baker, Evan Wessel, Nick Wiggins, Chadrack Lufile, Jake White, Shaq Morris, Earl Watson, Derail Greene, Ria'n Holland and D.J. Bowles coming off the bench?
                        Maybe
                        In the fast lane

Comment

@WuDrWu: do you have any input on how Zach Bush is doing? Is there a possibility he might contribute in the future or should he perhaps just stayed with Washburn?

Comment

You know in the past 20 years, it was always easy for me to pick my favorite Shocker player: Maurice Evans, Jason Perez, Jamar Howard, Paul Miller, Gabe Blair, JT.. but in recent years it is getting harder and harder for me to pick just one... Cle', Beast, and EO are my current favs. What the hell am I going to do next year because I know that Shaq and Watson are going to be added to the list? If Wiggins and Coleby really take off, I'm going to become quite confused.

This really puts it in perspective for me just how far this program has come under HCGM. I haven't even begun to explore how much I love Cle' and then BOOM, here comes Shaq and Watson. But then Wiggins still has the potential to steal all my love if he really gets it going...

It's a great decade to be a Shocker!

It's a bad decade to be my vocal chords!

T

...:cool:

Comment

Is that Andrew Wiggins you have starting since you have Nick Wiggins coming off the bench?

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                                I've been starting to worry a little for next year with the loss of Hall, DW, EO and Mal. Stupid of me. Coach seems confident in the future.
                                After last year, I'm at the point where we could lose every starter on our team every year and I'll still be excited about the next season rather than worried.

We'll lose some players, but we return a lot of great players. And I'm sure we'll add one or two more elite JUCO guys that'll contribute right away and a couple strong freshmen.
                                Originally posted by BleacherReport
                                Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Working...
                                X