No announcement yet.

Marshall has No. 20 Wichita State flying high

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think coach wants the challenge of getting deep into the tourney and consistent top program at WSU. If the atmosphere and fan support wasnt what it is at WSU, then he may rethink going somewhere where the atmosphere might be more fun on gameday. But its clear that he relishes the environment and challenge.
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

I don't know HCGM from Adam, but from what I do know about him he strikes me as the anti-Mark Turgeon in that he's not interested in constant ladder climbing. He obviously realizes what he has here is a better situation than most mid-level BCS basketball coaches. I think the notoriety Mark Few, Brad Stevens, John Calipari, etc, received from taking so-called "mid-major" teams to great success is much more than that given coaches of mid-level BCS programs with similar success. If Marshall wants to coach a blue blood someday--and who wouldn't and who could blame him?--what better way to slingshot your resume to the top of the AD's list than to put down some roots and achieve unbridled success? Lots of coaches get stuck in mid-level BCS programs and I just don't believe Marshall wants anything to do with that.
      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

For those thinking 3G would have a chance at UNC or Duke, please stop. Worry no more. Lets worry about things that have a snow balls chance.

Comment

The question for me is timing. Will Marshall gain enough national reputation to be the top choice by the time Roy Williams or Mike Krzyzewski (yes, I know how to spell it by memory) retire, or will they pick someone else for those jobs? If #2, I don't think we will have to worry about losing Marshall to another team.

The only real question I would have is UCLA. That *might* a prestigious enough job to lure Marshall away. Howland is so sporadic he certainly could get fired in the upcoming seasons, and UCLA is technically a blue-blood program. Though I think that culture wouldn't be a fit for a guy like Marshall (hard to create a tough, gritty basketball team in that city).

Comment

The crowd

Don't forget, we have one of the best home court crowds in the country, along with a fan base that travels pretty well. Again, not too many places can match that aspect either. Although Duke and NC do fit that bill as well I believe.

Comment

RDR is correct, Duke will hire from within.

HCGM made it clear that he really didn't want to leave Winthrop. The only reason he did was because they wanted to lock him down for another decade. All of HCGM's financial goals have been met at WSU, he won't be leaving for money. As far as taking a job at a school like UNC, KU, Kentucky, etc., I don't know if HCGM's personality would mesh with the top brass. As we all know, HCGM doesn't always play well with others. He would have to do a ton of ass-kissing at the top 5 or 10 universities; add in all the secret handshaking, arrogance, condescension, and back-stabbing that goes on at that level and I suspect that HCGM wouldn't last long. I also suspect that HCGM wants to run his team exactly the way he wants to run it and he WOULD schedule a few non-BCS teams every year to make sure his players are ready for the Dance. This wouldn't go over well with the top brass as it seems the first thing you do after receiving the keys to your office in a BCS job is to become brainwashed in BCS scheduling theory.

I really thought that South Carolina was his dream job, but it appears, based on a few of the things I mentioned above, that they weren't really even looking at HCGM due to personality conflicts. I think we may have our perfect man for the job.

T

...:cool:

Comment

I don't think Coach Marshall would go to a school where football was the number one attraction. So you can eliminate any of those schools.

Comment

This thread reminds me of the adage "The grass is not always greener on the other side. It's green where you water it".
                  “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                    I don't think Coach Marshall would go to a school where football was the number one attraction. So you can eliminate any of those schools.
                    I was just thinking that as I read more of the posts.

He does not have to compete with anything else at WSU. He is top dog. I know we have baseball here, but do we seriously even consider it as a competitor to basketball anymore?

I wonder if things keep going in the right direction, that WSU will look at another renovation to the roundhouse that would add seating, and maybe in a big way. I think HCGM could push for that in the near future if he deems it necessary for the program to continue to grow and prosper.

Comment

HCGM is damn near 50 years old. That in and of itself is starting to be a factor in our favor. Throw out all of the garbage BCS jobs out there that don't draw anybody to their games, play second fiddle to football, etc and eliminate all those. Dismiss the blue bloods that hire from within or hand off to an anointed coach.
                      Then get rid of the basketball schools that have been a train wreck lately and would require serious rebuilding.

So how many schools does that leave for him to coach at that he would seriously consider leaving us for? I can think of maybe three-Missouri, Wake Forest, and Okie State (even though they play second fiddle to football, they still support hoops). Missouri was idiotic for not making a run at him two years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                        HCGM is damn near 50 years old. That in and of itself is starting to be a factor in our favor. Throw out all of the garbage BCS jobs out there that don't draw anybody to their games, play second fiddle to football, etc and eliminate all those. Dismiss the blue bloods that hire from within or hand off to an anointed coach.
                        Then get rid of the basketball schools that have been a train wreck lately and would require serious rebuilding.

So how many schools does that leave for him to coach at that he would seriously consider leaving us for? I can think of maybe three-Missouri, Wake Forest, and Okie State (even though they play second fiddle to football, they still support hoops). Missouri was idiotic for not making a run at him two years ago.
                        No one from Missouri uses common sense when it comes to Wichita St. We should all be very familiar with having to deal with SWD2MOSTCC. (or something like that)

Comment

Missouri, especially now that it's in the SEC, could be a legitimate possibility. But I don't know that they're any more likely to make a championship run than WSU is. After all, who would have thought ten years ago that George Mason and VCU would be in the Final Four before Missouri, or that Butler would play in two championship games?

There's plenty of money and opportunity right here in River City. Besides, as the saying goes, you can't buy happy.

Comment

[QUOTE=rrshock;364058]I was just thinking that as I read more of the posts.

He does not have to compete with anything else at WSU. He is top dog. I know we have baseball here, but do we seriously even consider it as a competitor to basketball anymore?[QUOTE]

We stopped being considered a baseball school about 10 years ago. We're a basketball school with a decent baseball program.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              He does not have to compete with anything else at WSU. He is top dog. I know we have baseball here, but do we seriously even consider it as a competitor to basketball anymore?

We stopped being considered a baseball school about 10 years ago. We're a basketball school with a decent baseball program.
                              I agree with that, but I'm not sure everyone is on board. There are still some hold outs. i.e. Gene Stephenson. But that should be self-explanatory.

Comment

Just to be safe I say we scrap the new dorms and use that money to throw at Marshall. Lol jk... but seriously.

Comment

Working...
                                X