X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall has No. 20 Wichita State flying high

Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

What is really really special?
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
      I'll only be worried when Roy Williams retires.
      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Kentucky
        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
          I'm guessing consistent top-20 with a majority of years at top-10 and $3 mill salary.

Marshall is starting to show that he can put WSU in the top25 year after year.

Marshall's early recruiting classes offered immediate PT, so he got some good recruits. Now, a top-100 type recruit will be given a chance to earn some PT. DWill averaging 25+ wins a year for his career, playing in the NCAA's and winning the NIT, JuCo's getting immediate national recognition if they can perform at the upper levels of D1 ball.

Marshall has the formula for achieving a lot of things he probably wants. I think he's going to be here for quite a while. I think he's going to get some run for national CoY this year. He's getting better at signing higher-level HS players and he's got probably the best rep in the nation at signing JuCo's to fill needs.

Losing 4 of 5 starters. Losing the huge majority of the top scorers and rebounders. Then losing 3 starters to injuries. Then ending up on top of the MVC with CU getting all the pre-season pub. Then we end up in the top 20.

I think Marshall has his dream job at WSU. He has the opportunity to take WSU to a top-10 team from time to time. WSU in the top25 seems to be a logical expectation.

I think Marshall would rather take his shots at putting WSU into the top 10 than taking a mid-level BCS-affiliated job.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
            Kentucky
            That's what Billy Clyde thought...

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
              I'll only be worried when Roy Williams retires.
              This or when Coach K does. Those would be what I consider really really special and wouldn't fault him at all for taking one of those two jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                This or when Coach K does. Those would be what I consider really really special and wouldn't fault him at all for taking one of those two jobs.
                Coach K for sure, I just figure ol' Roy is going to retire first. But those are also the top jobs back in Marshall's home turf. I can't see him leaving here for Wake Forest, Clemson, etc, if he turned down SC last year. Just Duke and UNC would worry me.
                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                  Coach K for sure, I just figure ol' Roy is going to retire first. But those are also the top jobs back in Marshall's home turf. I can't see him leaving here for Wake Forest, Clemson, etc, if he turned down SC last year. Just Duke and UNC would worry me.
                  Since they are his home turf, that is the only reason I see it. Plus they are two of the biggest names in college basketball. I could maybe also see that school up the pike from here being on the list. Possibly a Syracuse or Michigan St.?

Comment

With the NCState offer in the rear view mirror, I now have no worries about Marshall bolting for any gig. Because it is clear that he believes our beloved Shox will be a consistent top 20 team. The money is good here, he is king, he can win, and his family is now rooted here. When he leaves it will be to move East for an absolutely huge job. There are only a handful of those out there. Also, there are a slew of great youngish coaches who will line up for Duke, Kentucky, NC, etc.

Plus, with more parity, it is not out of the question to make a run to the national title with the Shox. Why leave?

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
                      With the NCState offer in the rear view mirror, I now have no worries about Marshall bolting for any gig. Because it is clear that he believes our beloved Shox will be a consistent top 20 team. The money is good here, he is king, he can win, and his family is now rooted here. When he leaves it will be to move East for an absolutely huge job. There are only a handful of those out there. Also, there are a slew of great youngish coaches who will line up for Duke, Kentucky, NC, etc.

Plus, with more parity, it is not out of the question to make a run to the national title with the Shox. Why leave?
                      He can make a run here at WSU. We all on here know he is more than capable of recruiting the players and getting 110% out of them. I think the day we all hear that Williams or K is retiring, we will all cringe.

If he does get NCOY this year, we will hear his name for about every open job from the MEAC to ACC. He IS the younger coach that schools want. Brad Stevens would be the other.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                        Duke will go with a branch from Coach K. tree.
                        "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

The real beauty of the WSU gig is that the coach here can recruit and teach. That is what 3G LOVES, to teach and develop. At the schools that get one-and-done know-it-alls, that "teaching" kind of gets transformed into game management only. I believe 3G is too much into teaching, at least at this time of his life, to want to perhaps become subservient to the 5-star super star.
                          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                          ---------------------------------------
                          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                            Duke will go with a branch from Coach K. tree.
                            One would assume. But strange things do happen in sports.

At least that tree is half the size of a forest by now.

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                              The real beauty of the WSU gig is that the coach here can recruit and teach. That is what 3G LOVES, to teach and develop. At the schools that get one-and-done know-it-alls, that "teaching" kind of gets transformed into game management only. I believe 3G is too much into teaching, at least at this time of his life, to want to perhaps become subservient to the 5-star super star.
                              He'd probably take one every now and then though. There are some of them that are teachable. I'm sure Perry Ellis is one of those.

Comment

Working...
                              X