No announcement yet.

Glue Guy of the Week: Tekele Cotton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am no shooting coach, but on each of Cotton's perimeter shots (most uncontested) he appeared off balance. He has a realitively solid looking stroke. He just seems to not square up and shoot the ball while fading away a bit. My guess is this issue bothers him 100 X's more than it does any of us. He will spend extra time shooting over the next few days. He will get it figured out sooner than later.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
      I must be in an alternate universe...KC used final four material and the Shox in the same sentence.
      I saw that too. He might not be too far off base with that thought either. I think they could make a run at it all if they are clicking on offensive. Especially with the way they get after it on D.

Comment

Despite the fact he looks like a senior and we treat him like a senior, dude is a sophomore. Give him some time, he'll figure it out.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
          . . . or he could simply be in a shooting slump. It happens.
          A 19 game shooting slump?
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
            Despite the fact he looks like a senior and we treat him like a senior, dude is a sophomore. Give him some time, he'll figure it out.
            This. Tekele and jake are sophomores. Tekele is playing so well I forgot how young he is. Jake is pretty good too lately.

Comment

I kind of recall something about a foot bothering him as well. Maybe not, but I know about the back popping up several times.

When he is wide open, It seems to me that he is trying to put too much effort into elevating rather than taking the practice-type lower vertical jumpshot.
              Last edited by im4wsu; January 21, 2013, 04:56 PM. Reason: spelling
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Jumpwhat, im4? I know he's in a slump, but it isn't that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                  A 19 game shooting slump?
                  Not a slump. He's shooting 39 percent from the field this year. But he shot 50 percent from the field last year (but only averaged 9 minutes a game then). I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that having to shoulder an additional workload and defensive responsibility this season has altered his offensive game a bit. He's gone from 9 minutes a game last season to 21 this year. We all know shooting starts with your legs, perhaps when his body adjusts, so will his shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                    Not a slump. He's shooting 39 percent from the field this year. But he shot 50 percent from the field last year (but only averaged 9 minutes a game then). I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that having to shoulder an additional workload and defensive responsibility this season has altered his offensive game a bit. He's gone from 9 minutes a game last season to 21 this year. We all know shooting starts with your legs, perhaps when his body adjusts, so will his shooting.
                    I'm fine with that. But that doesn't mean you have to jack up 10 shots, if you're not feeling it. And it certainly doesn't mean you should be jacking up perimeter shots when you can't shoot it - for whatever the reason is.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

If Mr. Cotton could ever refine his shooting skills, the Shox would be Final Four material.
                      You are a funny man.
                      An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                        I kind of recall something about a foot bothering him as well. Maybe not, but I know about the back popping up several times.

When he is wide open, It seems to me that he is trying to put too much effort into elevating rather than taking the practice-type lower vertical jumpshot.
                        He has, or had, a deep bone bruise I believe on his foot.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

When Baker went out with the injury, Mr. Cotton made the best of his new and improved minutes played. Likewise, MR. Hall and Wessel go down and suddenly, EO has has some nice outings, Early, who is never late scores 39 and has several other nice outings, Wiggins as an 18 point game and now we have Cotton as a key defender for us. It seems like when Cotton is off on his shooting, it does not turn around in that game. Look at what Wessel did to improve his shooting after one summer of diligent work.. Cotton will do the same in due time.

last but not least, speaking of shooting, sometimes key games will come down to making our free throws, especially at the end. I am hoping we do better in that area or it will bite us. After all, we made 22 turnovers versus Evansville but only 7 versus creighton. Now That is what we like to see.

So KC has us in the Final Four now--if if if-- but just recently had us on a series of losses in a row on a prediction thread? Spain KC, splain????!!!
                          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                            He has, or had, a deep bone bruise I believe on his foot.
                            I believe that's correct. No sure if that was on his heel or ankle area. Shows you how tough this kid is playing as hard as he does even with the bumps, bruises and strains he has had to deal with this year. If anyone deserves to have things go their way its Tekele.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                              When Baker went out with the injury, Mr. Cotton made the best of his new and improved minutes played. Likewise, MR. Hall and Wessel go down and suddenly, EO has has some nice outings, Early, who is never late scores 39 and has several other nice outings, Wiggins as an 18 point game and now we have Cotton as a key defender for us. It seems like when Cotton is off on his shooting, it does not turn around in that game. Look at what Wessel did to improve his shooting after one summer of diligent work.. Cotton will do the same in due time.

last but not least, speaking of shooting, sometimes key games will come down to making our free throws, especially at the end. I am hoping we do better in that area or it will bite us. After all, we made 22 turnovers versus Evansville but only 7 versus creighton. Now That is what we like to see.

So KC has us in the Final Four now--if if if-- but just recently had us on a series of losses in a row on a prediction thread? Spain KC, splain????!!!
                              LOL. Final Four material, only if Cotton could learn to shoot 45 - 49 percent from the field. I made that prediction for several reasons. EU on the road would be tough, pretty simple. I had yet to believe that ISU red would continue to underachieve. I still can't figure out what their problem is. Creighton, well is Creighton and no one here thought that was a gimme game and finally, I was not convinced that CH could come back from a month long layoff and perform to pre-injury levels. I was certain that he would be rusty and favoring his thumb which would affect his game. To a point it still does (free throw shooting anyone?), but I underestimated him.

I'm not entirely all doom-and-gloom FSF.

Comment

LOL. Final Four material, only if Cotton could learn to shoot 45 - 49 percent from the field. I made that prediction for several reasons. EU on the road would be tough, pretty simple. I had yet to believe that ISU red would continue to underachieve. I still can't figure out what their problem is. Creighton, well is Creighton and no one here thought that was a gimme game and finally, I was not convinced that CH could come back from a month long layoff and perform to pre-injury levels. I was certain that he would be rusty and favoring his thumb which would affect his game. To a point it still does (free throw shooting anyone?), but I underestimated him.

I'm not entirely all doom-and-gloom FSF.
                                Thusfar, the Shockers are having a banner Season in lieu of the adversity. Even so, we are good enough to beat VCU there and 10th ranked Creighton here. However, we were flat enough to be as much as 11 behind the 1st half versus SIU.

In the scheme of things, we have lots of games left. If indeed our shooting does get hot, we should have a Season to remember. Teams in the Valley still have fans that think we are so easily beatible it seems. However, if we keep improving, and I think we will, watch out!!!!!! So far, so good.
                                Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Working...
                                X