What are SC fans talking about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are SC fans talking about?

Since "everyone" feels like discussing it, lets see what some SC fans have to say about the issue:

I personally don't believe Marshall has proven himself enough to be given the reins at Carolina yet. Someday, but not yet.
    If Marshall hadn't coached at Winthrop, would he even be on anybody's radar?
    I think we missed on him last year. If he was still at Winthrop or this was two years from now it might be a different story.
    Playing the devil's advocate....if he was so great at Winthrop, how come he didn't do better than Wichita State?
    The way I see it, if you line up all the possible candidates by talent and everything else is equal, I'll take the guy who wants to be a Gamecock 100 times out of 100. Unless someone has better talent than marshall, he is our guy. Hands down.
    I like Marshall too, but do you think he would bail after his short term there? I mean he has had a few obstacles there and hasn't been able to prove himself ... I don't know ...
    I wouldn't want a coach to talk to any school midseason anyway b/c who is to say he won't do it to us.
    the question is whether or not he has the most talent. There are certainly others to consider. Grant looks awfully strong to me. Also, Lutz, Capel, and the guy at Nova whose name escapes me at the moment.
    From what I've seen from him at Wichita St. this year with what has been a good Shocker squad over the past few years, I'm not sure that I want him.

More at:
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    -- Yogi Berra

No surprise

Not at all surprised, BA. If I were in a part of the country where Anthony Grant was a hot name; and Bobby Lutz -- now there's a name, by the way -- has proven that he can recruit with anybody as long as people don't poach his assistants, and that he wants a job upgrade; and Matt Doherty still lingered in folks' memories as well, Gregg Marshall would not the first person I'd think of either.

Nothing against Marshall, who I predict will take WSU to the NCAA more times in his first five years that Turgeon did in his last five, and will finish his career, whenever that happens, with more NCAA tournament appearances than any other Shocker coach ever. It's just that to folks in South Carolina, Wichita State is not the center of the universe -- and, as unbelievable as it may seem to some of our posters, the purpose of life is not to victimize the WSU athletic program and its goofball fans.

Comment

The baseless bravado of underachieving, do-nothing BCS schools will always amaze me.

As I understand it, we've been to an Elite Eight and two Sweet Sixteens since they've WON a tournament game.

What have VCU, Charlotte, Oklahoma, and Villanova done in that time frame?

Do they really think these guys are going to be beating down the door to coach at South Carolina? Actually, I guess I hope they will (other than GM, of course), but I just can't stand the sense of entitlement.
      Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Perhaps you should do a little research.............

Comment

Re: No surprise

Originally posted by WSUwatcher
          Not at all surprised, BA. If I were in a part of the country where Anthony Grant was a hot name; and Bobby Lutz -- now there's a name, by the way -- has proven that he can recruit with anybody as long as people don't poach his assistants, and that he wants a job upgrade; and Matt Doherty still lingered in folks' memories as well, Gregg Marshall would not the first person I'd think of either.

Nothing against Marshall, who I predict will take WSU to the NCAA more times in his first five years that Turgeon did in his last five, and will finish his career, whenever that happens, with more NCAA tournament appearances than any other Shocker coach ever. It's just that to folks in South Carolina, Wichita State is not the center of the universe -- and, as unbelievable as it may seem to some of our posters, the purpose of life is not to victimize the WSU athletic program and its goofball fans.
          "goofball fans"?

Watcher continues to "get it" while others still don't have a clue.
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Pinstripers, if your suggestion was aimed at me, the question was rhetorical.
            Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Originally posted by wsu789
              The baseless bravado of underachieving, do-nothing BCS schools will always amaze me.

As I understand it, we've been to an Elite Eight and two Sweet Sixteens since they've WON a tournament game.

Do they really think these guys are going to be beating down the door to coach at South Carolina? Actually, I guess I hope they will (other than GM, of course), but I just can't stand the sense of entitlement.
              Well, they don't call that site cockytalk for nothin.
              "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Originally posted by ripemupshocks

Dont even want to touch that :D :goshocks: 8)
                I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11
                  Originally posted by ripemupshocks

Dont even want to touch that :D :goshocks: 8)

________
                  SUDDEN INFANT DEATH SYNDROME (SIDS) ADVICE
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

Lessee, Villinova won a national Championship, OU was runnerup, etc, etc

Comment

Yep. That was the point I was trying to make.
                      Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

You can tell a BCS school and their attitude towards so-called 'mid-major' programs like us by the fact that they aren't on our message board posting. They think it's 'below' them to do so probably. Even giving us the time of day is probably beyond them.

Remember when we were courting Marshall, we and Winthrop fans were posting on each others boards--and cordially I should say. Now, thankfully coach isn't a true candidate yet for the SC job, but I doubt that this stuck up BCS mentallity will change even if he's a finalist.

I'd love to be proven wrong though....

Comment

Oh C'mon guys, I've been on their board and many of them have made very positive comments about GM. Don't just point out the ones who made negative comments. You make it look like every SC fan is anti mid-major and/or anti GM.

Comment

Maybe you're right. I guess I'm just used to the BCS schools in OUR state and their attitude, but I guess in that case the feeling's mutual.

My apologies to SC fans. Not a fair generalization I suppose.

(can you tell how irritated the whole SC issue makes me?)

Comment

For the most part, they don't seem too arrogant. One of the main concerns seems to be that they don't want a coach who would jump to a new job after a few years (sound familiar?)

No one can deny that the SEC has clear advantages over the Valley. That being said, SC is probably not a real step up from Wichita State. It's not much different than Colorado, Baylor or Nebraska in the Big 12. Big conference, lots of national exposure, no tradition, little fan support.

Comment

Working...
                              X