Has our success bored our crowd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
    Christmas break. I bet it is full next week.
    He's 100% on that. I thought student attendance was good last night for a non UNI or Creighton break game.

Comment

Originally posted by kawwsu77 View Post
      When Creighton comes to town the student section will be full. I am even bringing two people with me to watch WSU beat Creighton. If you want the student section full make the athletic department stop requiring students show their IDs at the door. There has been games that I couldn't go too that I would have loved to given my student ticket away but I couldn't due to the ID requirement.
      Might I suggest you not enter on the East side then. They don't check ID's any other door.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatShockerLife View Post
        Might I suggest you not enter on the East side then. They don't check ID's any other door.
        Been going in with student tickets and no ID all year.

Comment

Our success bored the crowd LOL

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
          I know, I'm probably overly optimistic. I just felt that our crowd would be be a little better considering the national ranking.
          With that logic we had better lose a few to cheer them up. Ridiculous.Your perception is way off, and besides, it makes no sence. Your optimism sounds more like pessimism to me. Our only concern in the end is what goes on on the basketball court.

Comment

Surely you are joking. You just answered your own question LOL. When is the last time that you heard fans get excited when they are behind by 9 pts ? (unless they were behind a whole lot more). The fans need something to cheer about first. Besides, if they cheered like they were winning ,the visiting team might be happy thinking that a number of their fans made the road trip and thus play harder. It's illogical to chear the same way when you are winning and losing. Besides in the long run,fans don't win games ,players do. If that were true Charles Koch could buy us a championship every year by paying people to fill all of the seats.

Comment

Originally posted by Rixtoy1 View Post
              I know - you could have a Dance Cam and people would stand up and make fools of themselves, especially if they are in the lower seating areas . . . that ought to fire them up!

(Anyone notice the Dance Cam was AWOL last night? - Thank God.)

The next time someone sitting at the courtside table on the West side actually cheers or gets into the game will be the first time - what is up with that?
              As for the fans court side, they are allowed to cheer as much as the next guy but they are not allowed to stand at all. I've sat in those seats a time or two and it is a totally different experience. You feel like you are so much a part of the action and anything you say can be heard by the players and officials. Sometimes thats a good thing but it also makes me think twice about what I say. Another part of sitting there is all the texts you get from people you know around the arena. I love sitting there, don't get me wrong, but its kind of hard to be rowdy behind a table.

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                I know, I'm probably overly optimistic. I just felt that our crowd would be be a little better considering the national ranking.
                Actually I wasn't trying to make a point. :) I was just wondering what your reference point is for comparing prior seasons.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Can't really blame the crowd when you had a team throwing junk in from all over the place and then shredding our defense like the Miami Heat. All things considered, the crowd was great. I do see where CBB is coming from, but last night was probably not a good night to make that point. We barely grabbed a double-digit lead last night against a team in the 220's of the RPI. I think there was uneasiness going around.

On the other hand, we often use the excuse that when we're blowing teams out by 30, the crowd gets bored and goes quiet. Sometimes, it's hard to figure what the crowd wants. But the crowd does need to bring their effort every game.

Sure seemed like we had no problem selling out the majority of games a few years ago. Were single seats not an issue then? Just seems strange to me, now that it's conference season, with a 15-1 team, that the place isn't filled to the top.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

The single and view obstructed tickets are the same, but a few years ago they were a lot cheaper. I think the higher prices along with the economy is making a difference. Also since the Koch has had over 10,000 a game for several years now, more people just assume tickets aren't available. I am surprised at how many people I talk to all the time that think that.

Now I am surprised that it seems like fewer students are using their free tickets. I really can't think of any excuse for that. The student section ought to be filled every game (except maybe during Christmas break).

Comment

Yup I think the old adage "it's the economy stupid" applies here. They have clearly been raising prices as fans keep paying them. Now that they have raised them above the ability to sell the place out regularly, they will have to think twice about raising them more.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by kawwsu77 View Post
                        When Creighton comes to town the student section will be full. I am even bringing two people with me to watch WSU beat Creighton. If you want the student section full make the athletic department stop requiring students show their IDs at the door. There has been games that I couldn't go too that I would have loved to given my student ticket away but I couldn't due to the ID requirement.
                        Better be....CU fans will be here. It's up to you guys to keep that number minimal.

Comment

I for one would like to apologize for my stupid fellow students. I'm a junior now and I have been to all but maybe 4 home games my college career (sometimes you just gotta study). I have no idea why all of those free tickets arent taken...

Comment

I always find this discussion interesting.

Should the fans react to what's happening on the court or attempt to drive what's happening on the court?

I think for 90% of fans their level of excitement is directly proportional to the amount of drama on the court. Maybe 10% - if they are sitting near each other (ie. students) - can buck that by being loud and energetic when the team is losing by 10 or winning by 20.

Try all you want, but criticizing a fanbase for being quiet or restless while their team is getting beat by more than a couple of possessions isn't going to change anything. Putting "Get Loud" graphics on the board isn't going to change anything. Cheerleaders aren't going to help. The Shock-O-Meter might work for 10 seconds.

It is what it is. I measure how good the crowd is by their reaction to drama on the court. If things are exciting but people are sitting on their hands, then I'll be critical.

For what it's worth, I thought the crowd on Wednesday was pretty good. I watched the ESPN3 replay last night and it confirmed my opinion.

Comment

Sorry double post...

Comment

The crowd was fine, just a bit thunderstruck by the lack of D in the first half (and the fact that SIU was having the luckiest night ever throwing up crap and having it rain down daisies). We outscored SIU by, I think, 15 in the second half, so our D and their offense settled into the normal range. When the second half started, the crowd was in it and stayed in it until the end (not counting those that always leave early). If they're leaving because it's past the kiddies bedtime, I don't think another 30 minutes (to get out of CKA, to your car, and on the way home) is going to make that much difference. Our fans are polite for the most part so if you are elderly you don't have to leave early for fear of being run over on the stairs. (Now, once you get into the concourse, that's a different story -- every man for himself.)

Comment

Working...
                                X