MVC conference games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
    Generally speaking, you don't get a higher non-con RPI without a tougher schedule and doing more with it.

12-1 non-con record.......11-2 non-con record

Team - NC RPI/NC SOS

Kansas -- 6 / 24 ........... NC St ----- 19 / 55
    WSU ----10 / 67 ........... Creighton- 21 / 51
    Butler ---14 / 47 ........... CO St ---- 25 / 123
    Indiana--17 / 78 ........... Missouri-- 27 / 103
    Pitt ----- 53 / 258 ......... Oregon -- 67 / 248

You will note that within the "same record" group, higher SOS does not neccesarily mean a higher RPI. See WSU vs Butler, NC St vs Creighton, and CO St vs Missouri.

Note: Numbers from RPIForecast.com
    This is pretty persuasive to me. Non-con rpi seems a good tiebreaker for rewarding both scheduling tough and success. The better seed should be the stronger team and with the equivalent record and a season split, the stronger team is best determined by non-con rpi. Non-con SOS isn't a bad second alternative in my opinion, much better than the loopy points tie breaker which in effect meant whoever had the worse losses (granted therefore the better wins) won the tiebreaker.

I totally agree with Fever and Doc about the royal screw up of the numbers. Hopefully it will help propel us to two more wins.
    Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
      Honestly, how could a conference office fudge up something that important so badly?
      They're trying to get them right. They use an experienced guy to calculate their numbers. He's the same guy that runs the clock in St. Louis.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        They're trying to get them right. They use an experienced guy to calculate their numbers. He's the same guy that runs the clock in St. Louis.
        So we'll be seeded 1.9, huh?
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
          I'm glad he got promoted to a back-office gig.
          Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
            Generally speaking, you don't get a higher non-con RPI without a tougher schedule and doing more with it.

12-1 non-con record.......11-2 non-con record

Team - NC RPI/NC SOS

Kansas -- 6 / 24 ........... NC St ----- 19 / 55
            WSU ----10 / 67 ........... Creighton- 21 / 51
            Butler ---14 / 47 ........... CO St ---- 25 / 123
            Indiana--17 / 78 ........... Missouri-- 27 / 103
            Pitt ----- 53 / 258 ......... Oregon -- 67 / 248

You will note that within the "same record" group, higher SOS does not neccesarily mean a higher RPI. See WSU vs Butler, NC St vs Creighton, and CO St vs Missouri.

Note: Numbers from RPIForecast.com
            The problem you get with just noncon RPI is look st Georgetown and Marquette.
            Gtown has an non con RPI of 40 and a SoS of 206. While Marquette has an RPI of 43 and a SoS of 83. In the MVC Gtown would be a Missouri State. High RPI but doesn't get you anywhere. There needs to be some combo of the two.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmee View Post
              Gtown has an non con RPI of 40 and a SoS of 206. While Marquette has an RPI of 43 and a SoS of 83. In the MVC Gtown would be a Missouri State. High RPI but doesn't get you anywhere. There needs to be some combo of the two.
              For what it's worth, 75% of the RPI calculation is based on your SOS. So what you are trying to achieve is already reflected in the RPI itself. I believe the 75% number for SOS is way overrated. Based on prior calculations, it should be closer to 66% (if I recall) -- which would help minimize the bias toward cowardly BCS schools that regularly schedule each other and refuse to play top-notch. non-BCS schools.

Of course, then the RPI would be closer to reflecting the true power of individual teams, would have more non-BCS schools in it, and therefore the selection committee would simply de-emphasize it even more than they already have due to schools like WSU making great gains in that respect.

Edit: Also for those thinking that there is not much difference between 75% and 66% ... small percents matter quite a bit. And, yes, yes, that's what she said. :)
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmee View Post
                Counter: The difference in RPI is only 3 spots, yet Georgetown lost only 1 game, Marquette 3, one to 140s RPI Wisc Green Bay. That hurt.

Georgetown lost Indiana (top 10), beat UCLA (high 40s) and Tennessee(mid 60s) (best wins).

Marquette lost to Florida (top 10), Butler (30), and W-GB. Beat Wisconsin (high 20s) and Southern Cal (around 100) two best wins.

Indiana and Florida losses cancel each other, Marquette's tougher schedule cancels the Butler loss, the two wins for each pretty much cancel each other, so that leaves the W-GB loss for Marquette. Just a guess mind you, but San Diego St was 10-2 (no bad losses) with an RPI of 29, SOS 96, so Marquette without that bad loss would have been in the mid 20s RPI with 2 losses to Georgetown's 40 RPI with one loss.

Comment

• Has anyone actually come out and confirmed the numbers were reported wrong? The only explanation I've seen came from someone who replicates the RPI and said that Creighton's OOC opponents had such a good day, and the SoS numbers are so close and bunched up, it had a seemingly large effect on their SoS ranking (not the actual SoS, just the ordering of teams). I'm pretty sure all the RPI replicators out there weren't wrong before Saturday.

Comment

• I wish that games we had no control in scheduling werent counted in the equation.

But, oh well. We win 2 more, and we win the conference by at least 2 games.

Just beat CU like the rented mule they are!

Do it! Go Shox!

Race car in the red.
                    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• I like the OOC RPI over the OOC SOS. The SOS thing makes little to no sense to me and is rewarding a struggling team that got a lucky break by being sucked in to a decent opponent for TV thanks to their Dougie.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• The purpose of the tie breaker, OOC SOS, is to reward schools going out and scheduling tough non-con games. Why does any game count that is essentially scheduled by a 3rd party, ESPN? None of the MVC schools picked who they played. Just seems like somebody in the Conference office didn't think this all the way through.

The good thing is, it's still all under out control.
                        Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Maybe they should just add your noncon RPI and noncon SOS together and the lowest number wins.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• If they used OoC RPI it would already take SOS into account (in a major way) + reward teams for winning their games. No need to use SOS separately at all as you would just be double counting SOS.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Is there anyway of finding out what the SMS SOS was in '06?
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                                Is there anyway of finding out what the SMS SOS was in '06?

http://realtimerpi.com/2005-2006/rpi_301_Men.html

All teams from that year:

RealTimeRPI.com: Real Time NCAA College Basketball and Sports Ratings - the most accurate independent analysis of the NCAA college basketball Rating Percentage Index (RPI)

Comment

Working...
                                X