Northern Exposure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Exposure

Bill Self says he won't play WSU because he has nothing to gain by playing the Shocks. Can somebody tell me what KU gains by playing SEMO, Chattanoga, Richmond or American University?

Can you imagine what Old Town would look like for a weekend if KU would agree to play WSU at 1pm on a Sunday in November? It would be great for fans of both teams but huge for the City of Wichita. Too bad Self won't put his own selfish interests aside and help the community that he likes to cherry pick recruits from. Can you imagine how crazy the environment would be for that game?

How's that for gratitude? Time to "Man-up" Self and help our city.

Note to Lutz and Suellentrop, why don't either of you guys beat this drum?

In the words of HCGM...."I wouldnt play us either."

Comment

Get over it. It's not going to happen. The threat of loss is much less with the other teams you mentioned. I'm not saying Self is scared of us, but he knows we're capable of beating them on any given day and can't afford to give us that kind of opportunity. And lets admit, being Kansas, they don't have to. And they're not going to play us in Wichita. If they were to accept a game, it would have to be in Lawrence or maybe KC.

I don't worry about it though.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        Get over it. It's not going to happen. The threat of loss is much less with the other teams you mentioned. I'm not saying Self is scared of us, but he knows we're capable of beating them on any given day and can't afford to give us that kind of opportunity. And lets admit, being Kansas, they don't have to. And they're not going to play us in Wichita. If they were to accept a game, it would have to be in Lawrence or maybe KC.

I don't worry about it though.
        They have played WSU in Wichita before. I remember watching the Shockers BEAT Danny Manning and the rest of the Ku team 54-49 at the roundhouse in 1987 I believe.

I actually think there is less for Ku to lose playing WSU then those other teams mentioned (SEMO etc.). WSU has an rpi of 14, losing to the Shockers wouldn't affect them one bit. Losing to any of those other teams would be viewed as a BAD LOSS. Beating WSU would be viewed as a really good win, but beating any of those other teams does absolutely nothing for Ku.

Comment

But if WSU goes say 3-4 out of ten with a handful of barn burners downtown, how much of a lockdown does ku keep on the wichita recruiting long term? That's what they have to lose, not rpi stuff.

Comment

Also in the words of HCGM, "It might hurt their pride more than anything else, like RPI."

As we all know, many in the KU world view require that others be held down in order for them to elevate themselves. Forget about proving it, the perception is good enough and carries a lot less risk of being exposed.

Further, no amount of economic or moral coersion can override their fear of losing to WSU. Remember, Turgeon got a one-and-done deal in Allen Field House on ESPN after Self told him that he couldn't get that done, but that's what it would take for two to play. Turgeon got it arranged with ESPN and Self promptly chickened out.

Comment

They dont play us for the same reason every other top 10 program wont play us in Wichita. They just dont have to and can dictate their terms to 200 other schools that will gladly be lambs to the slaughter. Its not fear, its economics. And Im sure they would give us a game in Lawrence, like they do those other 250 schools. We just dont accept their terms. Its that simple. Im past being upset about it.

Lets get some cred built up as a perrenial top 25 team first, then revisit this. That will be in about 5 to 10 years, hopefully.
              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Who cares? I opened this thread thinking it was UNI pregame talk. Maybe you should post this question on Phog.net.
                Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                  Who cares? I opened this thread thinking it was UNI pregame talk. Maybe you should post this question on Phog.net.
                  I thought the same thing.
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

My daughter and I were at McDonalds about an hour or so ago and a lady walked by in a Jayhawk jacket and she yelled out "KU Sucks"

#firstpage

Comment

Ahh yes, the 2012 - 2013 season edition of this age old topic. The dead horse is truly a zombie.

Comment

One you guys figure out that they don't play us _because they might not be good enough_, you won't have to bother about them anymore. Now you may be thinking ... what's ol' Kung Wu talkin' about -- is he just blowin' smoke? Nope. Think about it. The only reason they won't play us is because _they might lose_. In other words, they might not be good enough to play us.

Now focus on the schools that believe they are good enough to beat us -- and therefore schedule us up -- and move on.
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by ISASO View Post
                          Also in the words of HCGM, "It might hurt their pride more than anything else, like RPI."

As we all know, many in the KU world view require that others be held down in order for them to elevate themselves. Forget about proving it, the perception is good enough and carries a lot less risk of being exposed.

Further, no amount of economic or moral coersion can override their fear of losing to WSU. Remember, Turgeon got a one-and-done deal in Allen Field House on ESPN after Self told him that he couldn't get that done, but that's what it would take for two to play. Turgeon got it arranged with ESPN and Self promptly chickened out.
                          This is exactly the reason they avoid playing us. It's all about perception. If KU avoids us, it's just assumed they're better than us and would beat us. They realize there's a good likelihood of a loss so instead of manning up like some schools do and taking it on the chin (i.e. Indiana-Butler), they just pretend like we don't exist. That's the easiest, spineless way of getting it done. Butler isn't going to magically get better recruits than Indiana because of that one game. Indiana isn't gonna be beaten to a pulp because they lost to Butler and now get a 10 seed for it. What happens is the state of Indiana and the city of Indianapolis are treated to an awesome basketball experience for this year's state's bragging rights. The fans are the winners. Basketball is actually played with no chickenpecking around.

But time to move on because college basketball isn't about playing for the good of the game or the state anymore.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I just take as a fact of life and move on. Complaining about it won't fix the problem, and unjustly rewards KU fans with a feeling of superiority. Just blow it off until we become a team that can negotiate with KU on equal or semi-equal terms.

Comment

The only way it ever happens would be for espn to set it up with such a large payout that kwho could not ignore it. I do like CBB Fan's take on it also.

Comment

Working...
                              X