Shockers Open Practice - 09/17/24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    You know what? HCPM can log into Shockernet and get the Super Play already. That's a waste of my time to bring it up at the practice. I got a better use for our time together ...

Heckle training!

"GET A HAIRCUT *****-jan!!"

"HEY MATEJ! With that vertical you'd trip on a credit card!"

"HEY BELL! When they offered you NIL, they meant it! NIL!"

"GOT SPLINTERS IN YOUR ASS THENGVALL?"
    What a meanie.

Comment

No Cortez???

Comment

No Mcbride

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Did they ever scrimmage? Did any players impress you?
                      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

My quite amateur observations.

There were more than a dozen transition schemes run. Passing was crisp and accurate. Dribbling was solid. The drills were quick on quick and fast on fast. This team has a lot of quickness and speed. Only a few times did a player hesitate to think about where the next pass was supposed to go, or maybe someone missed a spot they were supposed to be. It's early, but the transition drills looked solid.

There are several players who can't be left unguarded on the 3-point line. That includes Meeks and Bosnjak. Beverly's shot looked a lot better than last year. During a shootaround session, it seemed the ball was going in the basket from deep more than I've seen at the beginning of games for years.

Drive and dish is definitely in the playbook. If more than one pass was practiced, ball movement around the perimeter was quick and accurate. Looked like the good teams I watched last year and not much like the Shox I watched last year.

Defensive footwork in one-on-one drills was jaw-dropping. The better defenders weren't letting anybody by them. There was one player in a one-on-one drill who absolutely dominated. I don't know who it was, but from hair style and height it had to be Ighovodjka, Williams, or Bamba. I'm leaning toward Joy.

Meeks and Bosnjak should be allowed some freedom to dribble. Ballard should not. Ballard should be banned from shooting jump shots, possibly even if the shot clock is expiring. Meeks was fast getting up and down the court early in the practice. He seemed to be the first to get gassed. Bosnjak doesn't seem to have the plays down at this point (not surprising), but he's a threat from deep and around the hoop. It doesn't look like we will miss Pohto's passing ability.

Shox are going to be more entertaining. Looks like they're gearing up for a fast-paced game, and it looks like they have the players to do it.

Saal greeted me when i was picking out a seat. I had a nice conversation with him. He made it a point to mention the character of the players and how that was as important as their BB skills. About 20 minutes later on the other side of CKA, he handed me a picture roster, called me by my name, and thanked me for coming out. Mills made it a point to say hello to those who stuck around to the very end of practice.

I thought it was a compliment when I told Mills that there were only a few times that a player looked hesitant in the sets. Mills was gracious in his response, but it was obvious that he's not going to put up with that. I thought the execution showed that a lot of work had been done. Mills attitude was more that there was a lot of work they had to do.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                          Did they ever scrimmage? Did any players impress you?
                          They scrimmaged, but I didn't notice any specific player really standing out. Several perimeter players can get to the hoop. Several wings showed the Porter-like ability to block shots there. Passing wasn't quite as accurate as it had been at the beginning of practice. Meeks seemed to always be on the losing side that had to run. DeGray will get decent minutes. It looks like Meeks will need some rest to stay fresh. Meeks can run, dribble, pass, and shoot.

I thought the areas that looked improved from last year were dribbling, passing, shooting, and the team looks, overall, a lot quicker and faster.

Comment

They did scrimmage about 15 minutes of normal clock time.

Pipkin for me stood out on the offensive end, not with his shot but with his ability to drive under control and dish to bigs or open shooters in a position to finish and they did! He had the overwhelming amount of assists by any ball handler.

Surprisingly, Hill was not really very effective as point considering his level of experience but Iā€™d assume he had an off practice and the Shocks will have a decent point combo.

Bijan was nowhere to be seen this afternoon..

Comment

DeGray appeared to strain a hammy very early in practice.

Comment

Cortes was sick today.

Comment

Working...
                                X