Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Tuesday - VCU Overview by SI.COM - Pre-Season Top 25

TEAM OUTLOOK
    Shaka Smart captured the imagination of the college basketball world two seasons ago by steering his VCU team to the Final Four with a bravado that showed in his players. At no point in its Final Four run did VCU feel as if it was an underdog. That approach will pay dividends as VCU moves out of the CAA and into the rugged Atlantic 10. Smart has the luxury of taking a veteran roster into the new league; five of his best players are upperclassmen, and two sophomores -- Briante Weber and Treveon Graham -- played extensively in their first collegiate season.

BREAKING DOWN THE STARTING FIVE
    Smart has no qualms playing a four-guard lineup, but significant production may come from his frontcourt. Juvonte Reddic dominated at times last season -- he had 28 points versus William & Mary and added six double-doubles -- but also disappeared. Smart's job is to instill some toughness in Reddic, who could be one of the league's top inside players.
    Reddic's running mate is 7-foot D.J. Haley, who does the dirty work that allows the shooters to shine. In spot minutes, Haley will set screens, crash the boards and distribute the basketball as well as anyone. A few basic offensive moves could make Haley a tremendous threat to defenses fleeing to the three-point line to cover VCU's cadre of shooters.
    The Rams led the country in total steals (381) and steals per game (10.6) last season, which turned into backbreaking threes for Troy Daniels and Bradford Burgess. Graham can also put up points, averaging 7.0 points in 16.8 minutes off the bench as a freshman and getting to the foul line (3.3 attempts per game). Guards Rob Brandenberg and Weber should provide solid defense and versatility on offense.
    With all of that firepower, senior Darius Theus is the heartbeat of the VCU team. Theus is the consummate point guard -- he isn't a scorer but scores in big moments, when the team needs him.
    NEWCOMERS
    Jordan Burgess and Melvin Johnson are VCU's first top-100 recruits in the wake of the Final Four run. Burgess enters VCU as his brother, Bradford, graduates. Johnson, a shooting guard from New York, signed with VCU in July after decommitting from Miami. He played very well on the Rams' summer trip to Italy. Mo Alie-Cox, a 6-6 bruiser, also may work his way into the rotation.FINAL ANALYSIS
    The battles begin early. VCU jumps center with Alabama, Wichita State and old foe Old Dominion in addition to a trip to the Bahamas where they will face Memphis in the first game of The Battle for Atlantis. The Rams have success on their side -- they are 84-28 under Smart. And the program's momentum is palpable. VCU is one of five schools that sold out every home game last season, and the move up to the A-10 will increase the Rams' national profile.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz2BdwFIuQh
    If you take the high road, you won't find much traffic there . . .

Here are some other overviews from similar outlets:

CBS Sports: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...7026/no-23-vcu
    NBC Sports: http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...o-21-vcu-rams/
    The Sporting News: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-10-02/college-basketball-preseason-rankings-top-25-VCU-virginia-commonwealth

Comment

Hmm. Pretty tough sledding ahead.
      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
        Hmm. Pretty tough sledding ahead.
        WE can do it!!!

If you take the high road, you won't find much traffic there . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Rixtoy1 View Post
          WE can do it!!!

LMAO. Very funny.
          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Haven't heard from district baller in a little while. I thought if I bumped this thread I might get to hear more about how awesome VCU is this year :)

Comment

Oh am I looking forward to this game. I haven't been able to be at my desktop to view Shockervison for Madness or Pitt. State. It will be the same on Saturday. And of course, Shockervision hasn't put up full game replays. About to go nuts wanting to see the team. I fully expect the Shocker to play well and make my day on Tuesday.
              In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                Haven't heard from district baller in a little while. I thought if I bumped this thread I might get to hear more about how awesome VCU is this year :)
                LOL. I really am that bad huh? Sorry folks.

I've more than said my piece as far as VCU. I'm done. I promise! :) Good luck against NC Central!

Comment

DistrictBaller is a good dude. I like him.

Comment

If Carl Hall goes beast mode, Shockers would probabaly still need at least one other person to really step up. Who could that person be? D. Williams? Hmm...

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                      I do too. I was having some fun.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                        Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                        I do too. I was having some fun.
                        Hacked
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

VCU over Florida Gulf Coast tonight, 80-57. Briante Weber with 13 steals.
                          In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                            VCU over Florida Gulf Coast tonight, 80-57. Briante Weber with 13 steals.
                            13 steals. Now that is impressive night's work. Not a bad number for an entire team.

Comment

20+ steals the whole night. I don't think he officially got 13 though. I think it was 10.

Anyone making the trip?

Comment

Working...
                              X