Athletic Dorms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316 View Post
    I refrain from offering "good" math, physics, biology, etc. jokes because my "good" might be your "BAD"!! :)
    Meh, that never stopped me from posting anything. I just fling it out there and see what sticks to the wall.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
      From what I've heard, the median grade in the last Engineering Physics class was a 76%. Above average, but not crazy high.

I had a varying degree of difficulty in the classes I took. Elementary Differential Equations, for example, usually has a 10-20% curve at the end of the semester, and even with that only two students in the class before mine got an A. The material was hard enough that the teacher fully expected each and every student to be below an A before the end of the class simply because it was so easy to lose points given the difficulty of the material.

Anyway, athletic dorms. When we get rid of the golf course, they would be nice to have. Enough space for 1000 students (500 total athletes + 500 regular students), call it something like the Wichita State "Center of Excellence" Dorms. Students would be allowed to room in those dorms if they were either an athlete or a student with a 3.75 GPA or better. These dorms would have to have a very attractive exterior, preferably in black and gold colors, and the first room would be a Shocker athletic showcase.

On the right, you'd see a history of Shocker basketball. Included would be Xavier McDaniel's jersey, photos of old teams, and a very prominent "National Champions" banner showcasing the NIT season. At the end of the presentation (which would be chronological), you'd have a very noticeable empty space and maybe a blank portrait. You get the gist. Recruiting items.

On the left, baseball stuff. Highlight baseballs winningest coach, the National Championships, etc. Also include stuff from other sports, but the goal is to make the basketball and baseball the most prominent.

The facilities inside should all be very prominently in the school's colors. Furthermore, they should be something that will make a recruit go "Wow." Basics for the basketball section (Floor 1, right past the entry room) would be extra large beds for our future stars along with raised counters in the restrooms. Like the rest of the campus, these dorms would have internet, but also included would be lounge sections with large TVs and maybe rooms for recruits to watch film. One recruit to a room, but they would still share restrooms.

This sort of thing would be a huge recruiting tool.
      I would like to be on the feasibility team, development team, A/E team and construction management team.

Now that would be big fun.
      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
        Cold,

You know I love you, but me thinketh thee high jacked my lovely thread.

RDR
        Terribly sorry sir.

http://www.kake.com/findit/thursdayheadlines/Wichita-State-Plans-For-New-Student-Housing-163938436.html

The new president is certainly interested in expanding and modernizing our on campus living facilities.
        I would think that athletic dorms would be great, but I certainly wouldn't want to see millions invested into that without a football program. We are going to need a several million dollar physical fitness center for our football program first. :)

T

...:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          Pleeease. You don't know your asymptotes from a hole in your graph.

:)
          I was an Accounting major. Our phrase was "you don't know your assets from a hole in the ground".
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

If an accountant's wife cannot sleep, what does she say? "Darling, could you tell me about your work."

Why do accountants make good lovers? They're great with figures.

Why accountants don't read novels? Because the only numbers in them are page numbers.

Two accountants are in a bank, when armed robbers burst in. While several of the robbers take the money from the tellers, others line the customers, including the accountants, up against a wall, and proceed to take their wallets, watches, etc. While this is going on accountant number one jams something in accountant number two's hand. Without looking down, accountant number two whispers, "What is this?" to which accountant number one replies, "it's that $50 I owe you."
            Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Here is one that should be popular in Kansas. (Wait, where is the "EO" smilie?)

A mugger stops a guy on the street at gunpoint."Give me all your money", he says. The muggee is indignant. "You can't do this," he yells. "I'm an IRS agent. "In that case," says the mugger, "give me all MY money."

:poster_eo: :poster_eo: :poster_eo:

Comment

Since I will be 10 posts shy of 4000 and in honor of the "An accountant goes into a pet shop to buy a parrot" joke (i.e. The startled accountant asks about the third parrot, to be told it costs $4,000. Needless to say, this begs the question, "What can it do?" To which the owner replies "To be honest, Ive never seen him do a darn thing, but the other two call him Senior Partner."), I need to ration my posts and make each of the next ten posts memorable. :encouragement:

:nightmare:

Comment

Just get these! I don't think this has been posted.

Kentucky is already hard to beat on the court, and now they're going to be even tougher to top off of it. A video was posted to John Calipari's website

Comment

Originally posted by RHshoxfan View Post
                      Just get these! I don't think this has been posted.

http://larrybrownsports.com/college-...screens/153247
                      I am starting to think that I have a pregnant idea.

I am sure Kentucky is within the NCAA rules, but some of the features sure bends my mind, e.g., chef.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316 View Post
                        Two accountants are in a bank, when armed robbers burst in. While several of the robbers take the money from the tellers, others line the customers, including the accountants, up against a wall, and proceed to take their wallets, watches, etc. While this is going on accountant number one jams something in accountant number two's hand. Without looking down, accountant number two whispers, "What is this?" to which accountant number one replies, "it's that $50 I owe you."
                        Oldie but a goodie! :)

Comment

How about this idea?

Build a dorm for athletes with parameters in mind as follows:

1. On campus location. Maybe the golf course.
                          2. Number of units - 40-60
                          3. Average size per unit - 850 s.f.
                          4. Development cost per unit - $70,000 plus land
                          5. Total development cost - $2.8 million - $4.2 million
                          6. Financing
                          a. Equity - ?
                          b. Debt - ?

I am not sure of a feasible debt to equity ratio. Current outlays for room expense for basketball players plus rents from matching non-athlete tenants could be applied to servicing the debt.

If equity financing is say 75% or $2.1-$3.2 million, then fund raising does not seem too difficult.

I am ignorant of statatory law limitations of debt on publicly owned property.

I will hang up and take your answers off the air.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

4. Development cost per unit - $70,000 plus land
                            Is that realistic for detached units? You're talking commercial construction here. I really don't know. Even if not, you can probably get it to that ball park by creating quadplexes or something though.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              Is that realistic for detached units? You're talking commercial construction here. I really don't know. Even if not, you can probably get it to that ball park by creating quadplexes or something though.
                              I had a dorm, which consists of 40-60 apartments in mind. One building, 2-3 floors, probably linear.

Actually, I only had a single building in mind. I did not give any thought to the configuration of the building.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

I had a dorm, which consists of 40-60 apartments in mind. One building, 2-3 floors, probably linear.

Actually, I only had a single building in mind. I did not give any thought to the configuration of the building.

Ohhh. I thought you were going for the "Athletic Village" concept. Your cost estimate seems generous then.

Comment

Working...
                                X