Athletic Dorms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athletic Dorms

Today I was wondering what initiatives WSU could take to make WSU more attractive to recruits.

So I thought up an idea, which may be either bright or not so bright.

Are there any restrictions by law or NCAA rules on dormitories for athletes only?

If not, what do the learned posters on this esteemed forum think about the idea of athletic dorms.

How many athletes does WSU have? Never mind I just did my homework. Here is the approximate number of athletes as follows:

Women - 140
    Men - 155

Total - 295

So two dormitories might be considered.

Am I off base or way out in left field.

Just wondering.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Don't know about athlete dorms, but what they have been doing at UMKC the last 20 years is amazing. If you saw it in 1991 and went there in 2011 you would just be amazed at the new living facilities. I wonder if they have seen an increase in traditional enrollments over that period of time?
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post

Today I was wondering what initiatives WSU could take to make WSU more attractive to recruits.

So I thought up an idea, which may be either bright or not so bright.

Are there any restrictions by law or NCAA rules on dormitories for athletes only?

If not, what do the learned posters on this esteemed forum think about the idea of athletic dorms.

How many athletes does WSU have? Never mind I just did my homework. Here is the approximate number of athletes as follows:

Women - 140
      Men - 155

Total - 295

So two dormitories might be considered.

Am I off base or way out in left field.

Just wondering.
      Yes, there are rules. All dormitories must have at least one non-athlete per athlete.

Kentucky gets around this by having giving each of their basketball athletes a separate room in their dormitories (sorry, UK football players), and they each have a tutor. The building is basically a UK museum designed to impress recruits, so lots of jerseys, championship paraphernalia, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
        Yes, there are rules. All dormitories must have at least one non-athlete per athlete.

Kentucky gets around this by having giving each of their basketball athletes a separate room in their dormitories (sorry, UK football players), and they each have a tutor. The building is basically a UK museum designed to impress recruits, so lots of jerseys, championship paraphernalia, etc.

Pretty sweet, really. Can the tutors be female?

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          Pretty sweet, really. Can the tutors be female?
          Do you know of any males smart enough to be tutors?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            Do you know of any males smart enough to be tutors?
            Hmm, you know, that's a heckuva point.

Comment

Maybe DOFO could be a tutor

Comment

One thing to consider: We wouldn't be able to find a math tutor for EO... he'd need someone to be tutored by HIM! (EO's a math major/tutor, for those that don't know).

Comment

CBB_Fan right on point with the dorm rules and stipulations ... I know we aren't Kentucky - but something like that, I feel, would be beneficial in helping our cause with recruits ... seeing we dont have a football program, aren't located in a college town and also not a large metro-area, and our campus(while its not a bad campus) isn't one like KU's, Georgia's, Colorado's, etc.
                  Up your nose with a rubber hose - Barbarino

Comment

The dude was in my Physics 2 class. I heard he got an A. Now that's a tough class, and to have it while basketball going on?? Hats off to him.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                      The dude was in my Physics 2 class. I heard he got an A. Now that's a tough class, and to have it while basketball going on?? Hats off to him.
                      Regular or engineering Physics 2 (I know he was an engineering student at one point)? I thought that was a pretty fun class, but it can be difficult to remember the differences between capacitance, voltage, amperage, potential, etc. I think I got an A in that class, but it was my hard class that semester.

Comment

EO is a mathematics major which is arguably the most difficult undergraduate degree to obtain. Upper level mathematics courses are all theory and very dry. At least with engineering or physics you have interesting applications.

A little story about African's..

At one point in the semester during one of my economics courses, the professor chose to recognize the top student in his class. It was CB. But CB was not alone, he shared the top spot with an African gentleman. I talked briefly with the dude after class and he was all business.

To make a long story short; don't #@&# with African's. They are here to learn and they bring a brain with them.

I chuckle when I think about some of the ol' racist theories about blacks versus whites and intelligence. African's are so black they are nearly blue and I have never met a dumb one.

T

...:cool:

Comment

I took a physics course a long time ago and the instructor had taught at an Ivy League school. He told us at the start that what ever grade we got would be the same as if it were from an Ivy League school. I worked my butt off and knew the book inside out and could work everyone of the problems at the end of the chapters and wound up with a very very low B. Loved the guy as he reminded me of an intellectual Walter Matheau.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                            EO is a mathematics major which is arguably the most difficult undergraduate degree to obtain. Upper level mathematics courses are all theory and very dry. At least with engineering or physics you have interesting applications.
                            Some of the most interesting classes I've ever had were upper level mathematics courses. In a society that feels music and art cannot be evaluated simply by their beauty, sometimes math is the only aesthetics can be a goal in and of itself.

Paul Erdős expressed his views on the ineffability of mathematics when he said, "Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is." (thanks wikipedia)

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                              I took a physics course a long time ago and the instructor had taught at an Ivy League school. He told us at the start that what ever grade we got would be the same as if it were from an Ivy League school. I worked my butt off and knew the book inside out and could work everyone of the problems at the end of the chapters and wound up with a very very low B. Loved the guy as he reminded me of an intellectual Walter Matheau.
                              The hardest thing about many Ivy league schools is being accepted. Some don't even offer grades, they just give you a pass or fail. Wichita State is a national university and offers the same challenges as other national universities across the nation. I remember taking a finance course over the summer once and was talking to a couple guys that went to other state universities during the regular semester. They complained about the difficulty in the class and that they weren't prepared for the rigor coming from their respective schools. I believe one went to Silo Tech and the other something like Emporia State.

Being a state university, our admission standards are lax. But if you complete your degree in a challenging field with high marks, you will have no doubt accomplished something significant. My younger brother earned his aerospace engineering degree from WSU and graduated with honors. He said in some of his classes people would literally have nervous breakdowns and/or cry after tests. The challenge is significant and designed to break a lesser man/woman down.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Working...
                              X