Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2024 Edition-Bilas “Let them transfer at Halftime to the opposing team” Portal Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    I was visiting with a big donor (6 figure+) a couple of weeks ago and this came up. This person wanted to donate to a single person and may not have been told "no" but was steered towards not doing that.
    Same reason non-profit organizations like undesignated gifts rather than designated. Then the organization can decide what to do with it.

If a person wants to give to a specific individual, then there's not a damn thing that WSU can do to stop it. They can advise against it (for selfish reasons), but it is ultimately up to the donor.
    78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

We always seem to take an overly conservative position on all things NIL-portal related.
      I was thinking about this at lunch. Sure, Wichita has its plusses, but damn, we're so behind the times in almost everything imaginable. It took new downtown arenas and developments in Tulsa, Omaha, De Moines, Oklahoma City and others before it was even considered here. We're great at waiting on someone else to do something, then once they've done it big, we're always playing catch-up with the Joneses... and more often in a scaled back way. I guess the new downtown baseball stadium was at least visionary and long overdue, but it took an act of congress (that term should be changed, because congress sucks). How long has it taken Wichita to do something about Century II? I know they just spent $5mm on the roof, but do they have a plan? It's a landmark and I'm in the "keep it" and repurpose it group; to me, it's a Wichita icon.

Wichita State related; thank God for Bardo and Muma who had/has the vision for the Innovation Campus and the Downtown Medical Community. Athletics is the window to the university, and it still matters 'nationally' and a 'successful' WSU adds measurable value to Wichita and Kansas. Look what's going on in Lawrence... yeah, they have P-5 money and are in a survival arms race, but at least they're doing something big and visionary.

NIL is no different. Yea, we don't like it. Yes, it sucks for fans, but I'm not one to sit back and let people trample on me because of a defeatist attitude. Things change and we need to adapt to the changes. I'm stepping up and providing as much support as possible (NIL and SASO), because I love and care about the university that changed my life many moons ago. I don't give up easy and believe we can succeed athletically again and compete with the very best.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post
        This is the most painful off season. Super limited idea of recruits, very little news, engagement, etc. I understand ORU’s torture now. Mills better be winning a lot come next season, because I certainly don’t like the complete disconnect between him and fans. Not saying we need all the recruiting scoops but come on… something?
        I too long for the old days when recruiting classes were mostly signed sealed and delivered in November for the following fall semester at which point you pretty much new what next year's roster looked like. That's pretty much a distant memory these days.

Comment

• You can technically hire any of the kids directly to do something and pay them directly. As far as I know it has to pass through compliance at the school, but who can tell you what any service is worth if you're willing to pay it? You want to pay Quincy Ballard $100k to show up at your BBQ, go for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Is there any doubt? They're smart enough to get around it '"legally."
            I know there's a high major team with guys who may go through the draft process that have commitments from donors to cover their NIL if they come back separate from the rest of the roster's NIL pool.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Same reason non-profit organizations like undesignated gifts rather than designated. Then the organization can decide what to do with it.

If a person wants to give to a specific individual, then there's not a damn thing that WSU can do to stop it. They can advise against it (for selfish reasons), but it is ultimately up to the donor.
              I could see where a donor wants to make sure his money goes to a specific returning player X to help retain them, but the school already has X locked in but they really badly want to land recruit Y -- so they need the money for that new recruit way worse than they need it to retain an already retained player X.

I can also see where a donor wants to make sure his money goes to specific player X, because that person speaks to their brand so they want to use that person's NIL specifically.

Seems like there is a reasonable argument for both situations and the donor and the collective just need to work out what the donor's needs and desires are.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

I could see where a donor wants to make sure his money goes to a specific returning player X to help retain them, but the school already has X locked in but they really badly want to land recruit Y -- so they need the money for that new recruit way worse than they need it to retain an already retained player X.

I can also see where a donor wants to make sure his money goes to specific player X, because that person speaks to their brand so they want to use that person's NIL specifically.

Seems like there is a reasonable argument for both situations and the donor and the collective just need to work out what the donor's needs and desires are.
                A purchaser of a players NI&L does not need to work anything out with the collective. He or she can simply make a deal directly with the athlete themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

A purchaser of a players NI&L does not need to work anything out with the collective. He or she can simply make a deal directly with the athlete themselves.
                  Yeah I get it, but it's nice to have an intermediary work out the contract and explain the rules to you.
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Annual Transfers
                    Year # of Notes:
                    2016 469 Added from prior year post
                    2017 716 Added from prior year post​​
                    2018 866 Added from prior year post​​
                    2019 956 Added from prior year post​​
                    2020 965
                    2021 1,652 Covid Free Year Granted
                    2022 1,647
                    2023 1,716
                    2024 349 as of 1:30pm 03/18/2024
                    2024 856 as of 11:30am 03/25/2024
                    2024 1,223 as of 11:30am 04/01/2024
                    2024 1,494 as of 7:30pm 04/08/2024
                    2024 1,633 as of 1:30pm 04/15/2024
                    2024 1,772 as of 3:30pm 04/22/2024
                    Source: ​https://verbalcommits.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Is there any doubt? They're smart enough to get around it '"legally."
                      Does it really matter if its "legal" if there is no enforcement and no punishment?

Comment

• Here is a little more information on Transfers for this year:
                        American Athletic Conf. Count
                        Rice 10
                        East Carolina 9
                        UTSA 9
                        Florida Atlantic 7
                        North Texas 7
                        Memphis 7
                        Charlotte 6
                        South Florida 6
                        Temple 6
                        SMU 5
                        Tulane 5
                        Tulsa 5
                        Wichita State 5
                        UAB 4
                        The median for all 350+ Division programs is 5.

Some teams of Note:
                        Besides DePaul, who is on the schedule for next year, I would be on the phone to the rest of the schools below trying to get on their schedule next season, perhaps even willing to do a buy game with some of them, or perhaps one game at their campus site and one game at INTRUST Arena for us in 2025-26.
                        School Count
                        DePaul 12
                        Louisville 12
                        Drake 11
                        Washington St. 11
                        Xavier 10
                        Arizona State 10
                        Arkansas 9
                        California 8
                        Florida State 8
                        Vanderbilt 8
                        West Virginia 8
                        Duke 7
                        Rutgers 7
                        USC 7
                        Last edited by WuShock Reaper; 1 week ago.

Comment

• Kind of sucks one of the five was our best player…but we kept our second best (might end up being the better player in the end)

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
                            Kind of sucks one of the five was our best player…but we kept our second best (might end up being the better player in the end)
                            Definitely still need to hit on the remaining scholarships but I think retaining the core of Cortes, Bell, Beverly, DeGray, and Ballard will be a boone for HCPM's system next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Yeah I get it, but it's nice to have an intermediary work out the contract and explain the rules to you.
                              Rules. Bwah hahahahahahaahahahahahahaha! Good one!

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I was thinking about this at lunch. Sure, Wichita has its plusses, but damn, we're so behind the times in almost everything imaginable. It took new downtown arenas and developments in Tulsa, Omaha, De Moines, Oklahoma City and others before it was even considered here. We're great at waiting on someone else to do something, then once they've done it big, we're always playing catch-up with the Joneses... and more often in a scaled back way. I guess the new downtown baseball stadium was at least visionary and long overdue, but it took an act of congress (that term should be changed, because congress sucks). How long has it taken Wichita to do something about Century II? I know they just spent $5mm on the roof, but do they have a plan? It's a landmark and I'm in the "keep it" and repurpose it group; to me, it's a Wichita icon.

Wichita State related; thank God for Bardo and Muma who had/has the vision for the Innovation Campus and the Downtown Medical Community. Athletics is the window to the university, and it still matters 'nationally' and a 'successful' WSU adds measurable value to Wichita and Kansas. Look what's going on in Lawrence... yeah, they have P-5 money and are in a survival arms race, but at least they're doing something big and visionary.

NIL is no different. Yea, we don't like it. Yes, it sucks for fans, but I'm not one to sit back and let people trample on me because of a defeatist attitude. Things change and we need to adapt to the changes. I'm stepping up and providing as much support as possible (NIL and SASO), because I love and care about the university that changed my life many moons ago. I don't give up easy and believe we can succeed athletically again and compete with the very best.

Never negotiate with terrorists. It sets a bad precedent.

Had they went with something like $50k per scholarship across the board, then little would have have changed in the college landscape. Student athletes would enjoy a LOT higher standard of living, and the Cheats could go back to what they do best - run from the FBI. But naw... that would be too smart. Let's just crank the knob up to unlimited.

So I'm cool with WSU closing down the athletic program. I have wonderful memories of excellence. Those memories would likely never be exceeded in my lifetime regardless. I don't like the coach. I don't even like today's ****ed up kids. Let's start an alumni basketball club and just stand around the perimeter like Creighton. We can do that until we're 90. Only one concession stand will be open, and it will all be for us.

Don't donate to NIL. Don't reward the bad actors. Hold steady in your principles. This is just plain wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X