Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2024 Edition-Bilas “Let them transfer at Halftime to the opposing team” Portal Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

We don't have much to offer at all right now. I have zero issues with Rogers leaving. We're not set up to be dancing right away, at least on the surface. But the point I had was he appeared to have opportunities to go play meaningful games at some really good programs who could make some deep runs next year. With that, he may have had to play a role he wasn't happy with. I'm on record as believing that on one of those top teams he would be nothing more than a spot up shooter. You can get good minutes doing that and still score your points, but maybe having more freedom and being on a less successful team is more appealing to him.

Personally, I'd rather be a contributor with a role on a good team rather than having more freedom to do what I want on a dysfunctional team with no real post-season expectations.
    To Doc's point, I can't blame the kid for grabbing the bag while he can. He'll play for money as a pro but his earnings will be capped. There was no viable reason to stay here for his final year so why not grab the bag? Yeah it sucks but I simply can't blame him.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

To Doc's point, I can't blame the kid for grabbing the bag while he can. He'll play for money as a pro but his earnings will be capped. There was no viable reason to stay here for his final year so why not grab the bag? Yeah it sucks but I simply can't blame him.
      I'm just stating personally, I'd go to one of the schools wanting me that will likely play meaningful games rather than chase a few extra bucks to play for nothing.

He's not getting generational wealth from Memphis, but it's an alright security net. I'm sure the NIL he'd get from real contenders would have been pretty good too. I'd rather win.

And again, I had no issue with Rogers leaving. I was never as in love with him as some fans were. He had a potential opportunity to play for a Final Four team and has instead chosen to play for a team that is likely to miss out on post season play yet again. To each their own.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        There are lots of people to blame for where college athletics is today, but I don't think (at least not in my mind) that you can blame kids for the chance at what could be generational wealth. I don't have ANY idea how wealthy his family is, but Colby is unlikely to find pro basketball a cash cow for his skills. Overseas, in tough places to live with minimal living conditions making $150k is probably his ceiling. If he can get, idk, $300-400K for his last season in college....who among us would turn that down?

This is to say nothing of how he will spend it. He seems like a sharp young man and there's no reason to think he won't sock away most if not all for retirement or a business opportunity sometime down the road.

It's just silly to blame the kids in my mind. I'd have taken the bag in exactly ZERO seconds. And I suspect if you're being intellectually honest, you would too.
        I absolutely would not. I know that because more than once I have turned down more money to be happy.
        If he is getting 300K. That is not even close to generational wealth.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
          I have no issues with Colby-Rogers-Jones going to Memphis. The "fault" (if there's blame to be laid) is on Penny and "the system." At that young age, who wouldn't be tempted by the dollar?

I can't help but wonder what other players on Memphis think of this. I mean, say player #1 is getting $25k per year (and I have no idea what the numbers might be). Player #2 shows up and possibly gets more than $25k? So would Player #1 immediately want a bump in pay or does he threaten to transfer again. I can picture Player #1 transferring back to the original school or to a completely different school. Just awkward.

I think if you do this, the only real way to keep everybody happy and playing as a team is to just offer a base amount to every player on the team. As soon as you single out one player, you run the risk of alienating teammates.
          Pro players don't ever get paid the same, and these NIL deals aren't public. Unless the players are sharing -- and I could see why many of them would be coached NOT to, I guess I don't see this being an issue.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post
            Some of these players chasing $ might get salty at certain players getting endorsements vs others too.
            If they can't handle that, they will never make it in the pros -- at any level, including overseas.

Comment

• I think very soon we will see NIL routed through the universities directly and the NCAA requiring all payouts be made public.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
                I think very soon we will see NIL routed through the universities directly and the NCAA requiring all payouts be made public.
                And that honestly is probably what needs to happen. At this point, NIL is just P4P and we all know it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

I absolutely would not. I know that because more than once I have turned down more money to be happy.
                  If he is getting 300K. That is not even close to generational wealth.
                  Your financials must be a helluva lot higher than mine. I could definitely turn 300K into the first real generational wealth in my family. All the savings my parents were able to stockpile ended up having to be used for care in their elderly years. Unfortunately we as a family were not familiar with how best protect assets when things are driving towards the need for Medicare/Medicaid at the end of one's life.
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

I think very soon we will see NIL routed through the universities directly and the NCAA requiring all payouts be made public.
                    I liked your comment, and I can dream about it, ya know, the NCAA and it's very existence, but at the rate they are going, they may not exist in 5 years.

Comment

Logical but doubtful.

Comment

• Funny enough Colby's recruitment should serve as a pretty good reality check to him & helps explain why someone with this much shooting talent hasn't found a long-term home. Had heard he had a spot at KU but they wanted to swing bigger so they didn't take him yet, seems he got impatient and bailed for a less appetizing team that would tell him "yes" right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

I liked your comment, and I can dream about it, ya know, the NCAA and it's very existence, but at the rate they are going, they may not exist in 5 years.
                          The reason I think it might happen is that there isn't really an argument against bringing NIL in-house and making it public from the athletes' perspective. The only people who stand to lose are those who lie about NIL payouts.

Comment

• 2 thoughts:

1 - the PG from Tulsa is a ball dominant player. He's going to Memphis to be even more dominant, I'm assuming. Penny surely made him promises as well. That doesn't bode well for a guy who wants to have a bigger role, I would even argue it establishes him as the 3 point decoy.

2 - I was talking to a guy this weekend whose son is going to play college ball next fall. We talked a lot about transfers, NIL, etc. He said coaches are telling the kids they now have to recruit kids to play 1 year and have to assume they will all transfer, either transfer up, transfer down or transfer to get paid or transfer to play more. He thought UConn had the right model in building a team. You have to find guys (maybe 2-3 star guys) that you can develop. These guys create the team chemistry and learn the system. They start playing as sophomores and hopefully stay 4 years. You bring in a couple transfers (guys on their last year) that are proven and can learn a system because they're old and smart. These guys fill immediate needs for 1 year. Then you bring in the best player you can get that's NBA material and plan on him being here 1 or 2 years. You can't load up on these guys otherwise they're all unhappy. I guess everyone is trying to figure it out, but it's all about having an old team now and not so much about stockpiling NBA players.

Comment

• Unhappiness is exactly why Pohto leaving makes sense for us. He was slightly behind Ballard on both ends but gave 'tude like he should be getting the minutes. And that cost us not getting to fire the Ballard weapon enough. It probably cost us a few wins, honestly.

You need an upperclassman stud and a quality backup (preferably sophomore) at all positions. Two upperclassman studs vying for P.T. is no bueno.

Comment

The reason I think it might happen is that there isn't really an argument against bringing NIL in-house and making it public from the athletes' perspective. The only people who stand to lose are those who lie about NIL payouts.
                                what's the argument for?

Comment

Working...
                                X