TULSA (13-12, 4-9) at (WSU 10-16, 2-11) Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slumpbuster
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
      It's tough to get excited beating a horrible team. Most important nothing changed with A/TO. I'd be shocked if haggerty remains in Tulsa.
      His 26% 3 pt shooting could hold him back from much greener pastures.

Comment

It's tough to get excited beating a horrible team. Most important nothing changed with A/TO. I'd be shocked if haggerty remains in Tulsa.
        the turnover numbers were ok until the last 10 min when Tulsa put the press on. I bet we had 6 turnovers on this time span. Why we inbounds the ball to the guy in the corner, or the near sideline I'll never know. Just makes them easier to trap.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

the turnover numbers were ok until the last 10 min when Tulsa put the press on. I bet we had 6 turnovers on this time span. Why we inbounds the ball to the guy in the corner, or the near sideline I'll never know. Just makes them easier to trap.
          True, and we had the reserves in for most of that time and they were struggling to get open for the inbounds pass. Also, the refs were absolutely letting them mug our guys coming up the court. I don't get the blow the whistle every time Haggerty falls back but let them grab and hold us nonstop.
          I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Haggerty does get a very friendly whistle. Wonder if he'll get the same calls when he moves to his next stop.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

I just don't get the hate on Bell. He came back here to play for his hometown team, knowing he was going from being a starter at Drexel to possibly being a backup to Rogers. As a senior, he got thrusted into being "the point guard" until Cortes was eligible. Last night, he was the last of the regulars to enter the game. Ended up going 4-7, shot no 3s, 2 rebounds, 2 assists with 3 TOs (he's not a true PG), 4 steals, and 8 points.

Did Ridgnal have a better game? What about DeGray? How about Beverly? Cortes had one of his best games of the season and wasn't all that much better.

I don't "hate" Bell. I just don't think he's got a high BBIQ and I want more out of a supposed leader. Sequence of three plays last night where he went Han "Solo" mode and none of them were good looks - if I recall he just lost the ball out of bounds on one of them. OK, I get it, you have a thing with trying to one up the guy you're defending. This isn't a game of one on one, 3 times in a row.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post

Where's your ire towards Beverly? He's so much worse. 4-12 and 5 turnovers compared to Bells 4-7 and 3. On the season as well. Beverly averages less points, less shooting percentage and more turnovers than Bell.
                Beverly ain’t great either. He has horrible handles. He misses a lot of layups. He has an ugly ass jump shot. But he’ll pass occasionally and deflects a decent amount of balls. Is he high-level D1 material? Absolutely not. He’d excel at a Drexel.
                Last edited by ShockerFever; February 22, 2024, 11:01 AM.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I just don't get the hate on Bell. He came back here to play for his hometown team, knowing he was going from being a starter at Drexel to possibly being a backup to Rogers. As a senior, he got thrusted into being "the point guard" until Cortes was eligible. Last night, he was the last of the regulars to enter the game. Ended up going 4-7, shot no 3s, 2 rebounds, 2 assists with 3 TOs (he's not a true PG), 4 steals, and 8 points.

Did Ridgnal have a better game? What about DeGray? How about Beverly? Cortes had one of his best games of the season and wasn't all that much better.
                  What were the quality of shot for those 7 attempts? He made more shots last night because Tulsa has zero interior defense. The gripe with him is he’d rather drive into 3 guys in the lane, throw up a horrible shot that sometimes goes in, while ignoring 2 wide open guys waiting for the ball. And he’ll do it 3 possessions in a row. There will be literally 100 seconds of consecutive offense where the ball doesn’t leave Bell’s hands. It’s horrible offense and boring to watch. Excusing his turnovers because he’s not a PG is pretty lame. He makes poor decisions. Drexel was definitely his ceiling. I’m glad he’s a hometown kid but there’s lots of great hometown kids playing ball. That doesn’t mean they’re WSU-level material.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

What were the quality of shot for those 7 attempts? He made more shots last night because Tulsa has zero interior defense. The gripe with him is he’d rather drive into 3 guys in the lane, throw up a horrible shot that sometimes goes in, while ignoring 2 wide open guys waiting for the ball. And he’ll do it 3 possessions in a row. There will be literally 100 seconds of consecutive offense where the ball doesn’t leave Bell’s hands. It’s horrible offense and boring to watch. Excusing his turnovers because he’s not a PG is pretty lame. He makes poor decisions. Drexel was definitely his ceiling. I’m glad he’s a hometown kid but there’s lots of great hometown kids playing ball. That doesn’t mean they’re WSU-level material.
                    We are often on different sides of arguments, but you are spot on. with the driving into the lane....he does not get and is not often corrected for it...

Comment

The quality of his shots was fantastic. No three-point attempts and I'm sure he shoots well over 50% in the lane for the season.

Comment

I'd be shocked if haggerty remains in Tulsa.
                        When the announcers were doing their drivel about how Tulsa is building, I kept thinking that Haggerty will be on the first train out of Tulsa if a low P5 comes calling.

And that’s a shame.

78-65

Comment

• Bell and Rogers both have similar problems, which is they seem to be in love with their own game. Bell has better handles but he doesn't know when to give up the ball. Rogers is borderline terrible driving the ball in traffic, which is why he turns his back and tries to back down a guy from the 3 point line until he can get an inch of space to put up a forced shot. Both of them could be solid players if they just played to their strengths and stopped forcing things.

Comment

• They both just need to realize that when they get doubled as they often do that there is an open teammate somewhere. Pass the darn ball.

Comment

Yet, excluding Ballard and Pohto, the only 1-3 position player that has a better FG% for the season than Bell (he was 4-7 last night) is DeGray (1-3) and he had 4 TOs, Beverly had 5.

A lot of players on this team have "warts" in their game. Beverly has played 60 minutes less for the season than Bell yet has only 1 less TO for the season.

Deciding to pick on a player who was the last off the bench of the regulars and had the kind of line he did compared to DeGray, Beverly, and Ridgnal while again playing mostly out of his natural position seems odd. Sorry, not sorry.

Comment

Yet, excluding Ballard and Pohto, the only 1-3 position player that has a better FG% for the season than Bell (he was 4-7 last night) is DeGray (1-3) and he had 4 TOs, Beverly had 5.

A lot of players on this team have "warts" in their game. Beverly has played 60 minutes less for the season than Bell yet has only 1 less TO for the season.

Deciding to pick on a player who was the last off the bench of the regulars and had the kind of line he did compared to DeGray, Beverly, and Ridgnal while again playing mostly out of his natural position seems odd. Sorry, not sorry.
                                Bell probably gets more criticism because he's the "leader" of the team and there's concern that he could be back next year doing the same thing. Beverly is a far worse player, IMO, but he is much easier to recruit over and replace.

Comment

Working...
                                X