No announcement yet.

2013 Sears ESPN Bracketbuster Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is where we stand today (01/07/13) regarding the 2013 Sears ESPN Bracketbuster Field and their respective RPI’s, they are:

Top 15 Home Teams

Tier 1

Wichita State (#17), Belmont (#21), Indiana State (#26), Murray State (#45), Western Michigan (#60)

Tier 2

Illinois-Chicago (#68), Saint Mary's College (#88), College Of Charleston (#90), Northern Iowa (#96), Akron (#97)

Tier 3

Utah State (#103), Davidson (#105), Tennessee State (#110), Fairfield (#111), Long Beach State (#116)

Top 15 Away Teams

Tier 1

Creighton (#12), North Dakota State (#44), Stephen F. Austin (#53), Northwestern State (#57), McNeese State (#79),

Tier 2

Canisius (#86), Illinois State (#95), South Dakota State (#100), Detroit (#102), Central Michigan (#104)

Tier 3

Loyola-Maryland (#112), Iona (#118), Eastern Kentucky (#124), Pacific (#125), Albany #127)

COMMENTARY

Here is the average RPI for the top 22 teams (the ESPN TV Games) for the last week. Also, I am only using the top 11 games (22 teams) because in 2010 and 2011 ESPN only had 11 games on the ESPN Family Network.

2013 TV Games - RPI #60.9 (As of 12/31/12)
    2013 TV Games - RPI #70.2 (As of today 01/07/13)

As you can see the RPI average got worse by almost 10 points or 16.1%. The top Bracketbuster teams won about 75% of their key games over the last week, but it was not enough to hold onto the good RPI average as most of the teams were either at home or facing weaker competition or both. Here is hoping for a good week.

NEXT UPDATE – January 14, 2013

Comment

• This is looking worse and worse. Can we just olay Creighton on a neutral court for the game? There is no good rpi option for wsu right now.

Comment

• North Dakota State, being top 50, isn't too bad of an option, but it isn't great. The Summit Conference RPIs aren't too great, so they will go down, but I can't imagine they'd go over 100, would they? However, like last year, it does not appear we need a good BB game to get into the tourney.

Comment

• I wouldn't mind South Dakota State going on a winning streak and making their way back to Wichita. It would be nice to get another shot at them after they won the preseason scrimmage:biggrin-new:.
          Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• for the home MVC teams (WSU, UNI, Drake, SIU, Indiana State) in bracket busters this year, here are the top 11 RPI road teams at this point using warrennolan.com The matchups are announced January 28th. All I can say is YUK!

1. N. Dakta St. RPI 45 SOS 184
            2. Northwestern State RPI 51 SOS 54 (Southland conference) (possible match for WSU)
            3. Stephen F. Austin RPI 64 SOS 298 (Southland conference) (possible match for WSU)
            4. Detroit RPI 74 SOS 126 (possible match for INS)
            5. Canisius RPI 87 SOS 167 (MAAC)
            6. EKU RPI 92 SOS 309 (possible match for INS, SIU)
            7. S. Dakta St. RPI 97 SOS 163 (possible match for UNI, WSU, or Drake)
            8. Central Michigan RPI 111 SOS 102 (possible match for UNI, INS, Drake, SIU)
            9. Loyola (Maryland) RPI 113 SOS 199 (MAAC)
            10. Pacific RPI 124 SOS 40 (Big West)
            11. Montana RPI 125 SOS 218 (Big Sky)

Comment

• And thus the BB dies a quiet death. Unfortunately, I believe we will owe whoever a return game.
              Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by isu87 View Post
                for the home MVC teams (WSU, UNI, Drake, SIU, Indiana State) in bracket busters this year, here are the top 11 RPI road teams at this point using warrennolan.com The matchups are announced January 28th. All I can say is YUK!

1. N. Dakta St. RPI 45 SOS 184
                2. Northwestern State RPI 51 SOS 54 (Southland conference) (possible match for WSU)
                3. Stephen F. Austin RPI 64 SOS 298 (Southland conference) (possible match for WSU)
                4. Detroit RPI 74 SOS 126 (possible match for INS)
                5. Canisius RPI 87 SOS 167 (MAAC)
                6. EKU RPI 92 SOS 309 (possible match for INS, SIU)
                7. S. Dakta St. RPI 97 SOS 163 (possible match for UNI, WSU, or Drake)
                8. Central Michigan RPI 111 SOS 102 (possible match for UNI, INS, Drake, SIU)
                9. Loyola (Maryland) RPI 113 SOS 199 (MAAC)
                10. Pacific RPI 124 SOS 40 (Big West)
                11. Montana RPI 125 SOS 218 (Big Sky)
                How did this happen??? How are WSU and CU still in this horrid event this year???

Comment

• We just need to insist we play Creighton since no one else is even close. Two games in one year at the Chuck.

Comment

• At this point, with bracketbusters, I don't give a crap who we play. Just win the dang game.

Comment

• We're not going to be helped this year no matter who we play. So I guess hope for a team that is at least decent from year to year. I'm hoping for NW State.

Comment

• At this point, does it really matter? Those are not good options. Maybe NDSU or NW St. We are getting a hose job on this one. Can they possibly have Murray St. play on the road?

Comment

• Just found out that the Bracketbuster Selection Show has been move to February 4th, instead of having the show on January 28th. I know there is not a lot of good news with the event this season, but having the selection a week later does help.

1. It helps the WSU Shockers because we get Indiana State (RPI #26) at home on Tuesday, January 29th.

2. We get Northern Iowa (RPI #115) at their place on Saturday, February 2nd.

3. All the other teams who are participating will have an extra week to improve their own RPI rankings as well. Therefore, less likely to get a team who suffers a bad loss just the week after the selection show, which is going to happen to a few teams who are matched-up.

Lastly, Sears is no longer the event sponsor, Ramada is now. I tried to change the thread description but could not (must not have rights to do so). Maybe one of the moderators could do that for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                            At this point, does it really matter? Those are not good options. Maybe NDSU or NW St. We are getting a hose job on this one. Can they possibly have Murray St. play on the road?
                            CU will get the great match-up with Belmont. They can probably lose 3-4 more games than expected and still be in the Top 50 RPI.

Comment

• I know this is selfish but I'm hoping we get to have SF Austin in Koch Arena. First, my son is on the faculty at SFA and second Harry Miller once coached at SFA and Wichita State. The current coach at SFA, Kaspar was an assistant for Harry Miller. Something about full circle appeals.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                                CU will get the great match-up with Belmont. They can probably lose 3-4 more games than expected and still be in the Top 50 RPI.
                                Well as long as one of those losses is to our Wichita State Shockers, they can have Belmont!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X