The Shockers Going Independent!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AG1219 View Post
    You would hate to lose Evansville because of their long storied history in the MVC, but would help WSU pack to leave the MVC? Just curious, why?
    Well I was mostly joking. Of course if WSU left it would leave a big void. The neighborhood would be worse for the loss. It would be a more unified, collegial feel in this conference but the RPI and great rivalries like WSU-MSU would suffer.

I feel the need to stand up for Evansville. How must it feel for their fans to read message boards that are so derogatory towards them? Especially when they have expressed no desire to leave. They have been the ultimate team player in our conference and they should be afforded a decent amount of respect. They have struggled at times but they are a proud bunch. Their fans are amongst the nicest there are and they don't deserve to be disrespected.

Comment

Originally posted by LuskingforGuttin View Post
      Well I was mostly joking. Of course if WSU left it would leave a big void. The neighborhood would be worse for the loss. It would be a more unified, collegial feel in this conference but the RPI and great rivalries like WSU-MSU would suffer.

I feel the need to stand up for Evansville. How must it feel for their fans to read message boards that are so derogatory towards them? Especially when they have expressed no desire to leave. They have been the ultimate team player in our conference and they should be afforded a decent amount of respect. They have struggled at times but they are a proud bunch. Their fans are amongst the nicest there are and they don't deserve to be disrespected.
      Wait a damn minute here. Evansville has fans?
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
          Yeah, they use them in the summer because they don't have air conditioning.

Comment

I have to agree. I don't dislike Evansville and I think when we launch on them it's pretty harsh. I get it that they usually aren't part of the group that makes up the strength of the mvc, though. I can't help but point out that the step child mentality is unbecoming of WSU fans. We've had to deal with our own fair share of that, and I wouldn't want to be guilty of the same things. What I really want is for them to continue to improve and arrive as a program.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerInKC View Post
              Last year WSU's share of MVC and NCAA revenue was $500k.

For comparison, KSU's was $18M

Looking at the published distribution of funds for 2011 it listed the big 12 as receiving 18,933,457 and the MOVALLEY as receiving 5,032,944. I think you must have dropped a decimal in the ksu figure.

Comment

Your opinion means exactly as much to us as that letter that was delivered off the plane inviting MSU to the C-USA.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                  Your opinion means exactly as much to us as that letter that was delivered off the plane inviting MSU to the C-USA.
                  Touche. At least we were desirable enough to have preliminary conversations with Banowsky and the CUSA. That is more than a lot of schools can say in the Valley. CU, WSU, ISURed excluded.

Comment

I'm still wondering why we are considered a "great rivalry" with you guys. We were only a rival once because you were in first and we were in 2nd and it came down to one heck of a game at your home. But since then, the Bears have hardly been a contender. (Seem to be getting worse if I'm not mistaken.) Now I'm not saying that we've ALWAYS been good, but I'm just saying I feel like this "rivalry" started in that season where you guys won the conference, but I didn't really see it continue. You guys sure took a run at it ("Wichita is not a state! hurr durrr..), but I feel like most of us Shockers love to hate on Creighton and play against them than any other team. And that goes back QUITE a ways.

Comment

Basketball isn't football.

Independence can theoretically work in football, because you only have 12 games to fill. Different conferences play their conferences at different periods. You had ACC and SEC in conference games being played on the opening weekend, and SEC teams regularly play (cupcake) nonconference opponents in the last few weeks of the season. I think Florida is playing three straight nonconference games to end this year. And there are other independent teams that can play each other ... one game against another independent team is 1/12th of your schedule locked up. Which means you'd have to have about four times as many independent basketball teams to get equivalent bang for your buck.

Doesn't work that way in basketball. Pretty much every team in the country plays noncon games prior to Christmas, conference games afterwards. That means that come Christmas, independent teams have barely, if any, games they could schedule until the end of conference play.

Independence could work in college basketball. You'd just have to play your entire schedule prior to Christmas. Would be a rather busy two months :jaded:
                      Originally posted by BleacherReport
                      Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Working...
                      X