The Shockers Going Independent!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Shockers Going Independent!

I would prefer WSU to be an independent school than play one more game in this league. I don't respect any schools in this conference. I think the national image of our school playing as an independent would improve significantly over continuing to play in this ridiculous conference. By being independent, we are measured only by ourselves and not who we are affiliated with. Scheduling a full season of games would be difficult at first, but I think we would be fine. I would much rather schedule half a dozen games with MVC teams as an independent than play all those garbage programs as a member. We could schedule a home and home with BJ and Bradley every year and then play some MVC-esque' teams down south and in Texas where we recruit. No more retarded trips to The Terre Haute Truck stop, or Iceberg Falls, Carbondump, Springpatch, ETC. ETC. E-FREAKIN-TC...

Let's do it Shockers. Let's become independent. We can make our own league every year. We can play a few games down in Texas, the east coast, maybe Colorado, the west coast. The sky's the limit. It would be fresh faces for our program while we build a BRAND NAME that is the SHOCKERS.. without the 9 billion pound gorilla on our back called the MVC. We go to the dance, we keep all the cabbage!

T

...:cool:

are u drunk?

Comment

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
      -John Wooden

Comment

Please stop.

Being Independent worked out just swell for football.

Comment

We need to team up with CU for the A-10.
          In the fast lane

Comment

I don't know how it would work, or even if it would work. I just know other schools have done it, and I hate the MVC. I like the idea of a different schedule every year. I like the idea of not being associated with this worthless conference. And I like the possibility of joining a better league once we've rebranded ourselves.

One thing I just thought of as I was typing this.. all our non-revenue sports would probably get destroyed as independents as costs would certainly go up. Of course I only care about men's basketball and baseball. I'm sure not all agree with me on that.

This is my dream.

T

...:cool:

Comment

You need to go back to bed and dream about something else

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                Please stop.

Being Independent worked out just swell for football.
                ABC is right. Football lasted like one season as an independent and it led to the AD dropping the program.

Comment

Because who wouldn't want to become the 4th D1 independent in basketball and join those juggernaut programs of Cal State Bakersfield, Seattle, and Longwood.
                  "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Believe it or not, the MVC gives WSU a guaranteed h&h with several top 100 teams. More than likely if WSU were to go independent we would learn all sorts of fun and interesting facts about backwater Arkansas or Colds uncles attic, both of which I'm sure 95% of us could go our entire lives and never need to know the intimate details of each
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                    Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Cold I love your passion and school sprint but please DO NOT DRUNK POST.

Go Shocks!
                      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                        Because who wouldn't want to become the 4th D1 independent in basketball and join those juggernaut programs of Cal State Bakersfield, Seattle, and Longwood.
                        I could be mistaken, but I thought I read recently that Seattle will be joining the WCC.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum View Post
                          I could be mistaken, but I thought I read recently that Seattle will be joining the WCC.
                          So you're telling me that going independent is the ticket to entry into the West Coast Conference? Even better then!
                          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Seattle and Longwood have both joined conferences. Seattle is actually in the WAC right now. I forget who Longwood joined. Big South?

I get that Cold wants out of this conference. And the MVC doesn't guarantee H/H with several top 100 teams. CU is pretty much the only guarantee year in and year out. We hope ISU can be in the near future and the same with UNI. Outside of that, it doesn't look good. But Top 50 teams are even more important. We get much fewer of those.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

The creation of this thread is certainly not the result of prudent thinking. I just wanted to toss it out there because I love the idea of leaving this conference and felt confident that I would receive a bevy of responses indicating why becoming independent is not feasible. So far I haven't received much. I think the best reason so far that has been given (by me), was the damage that would occur to our non-revenue sports.

Most objections have been based on anecdotes or false analogies. To imply that we would become Longwood or join the WCC as a result of going independent is to use little rational thinking. Longwood is Longwood because it is Longwood, not because it is independent. Wichita State is not, and never will be a Longwood. Also, whatever happened to our football program happened in a different era, almost three decades ago.

The question is, what does the MVC bring us in terms of revenue, recruiting, and national reputation that we couldn't gain on our own (if we remove the issue of our minor sports suffering for a moment). Could we reliably fill a basketball schedule every year as an independent? Would BCS schools be more apt to schedule home and home's with us since we don't carry the stigma of the MVC? I assume as an independent we would lose out on any auto-bid chances (not that we have taken advantage of any auto-bids in the modern era :upset:)

As an independent we would surely still schedule several MVC teams as well as CAA teams during the regular season. There would also be some cupcakes in there as well. But, as I alluded to earlier, if scheduling the bigger schools became easier since we would no longer be "guilty by association" in regards to our Valley "peers", would this avenue be a viable path to defeating the mid-major bias? Again, I am suspending the obvious reality of the suffering our smaller sports would receive from going independent. This is all just hypothetical.

Comment

Working...
                              X