WSU (9-12, 1-7) At Memphis (15-6, 4-4) Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
    Missed opportunities. Particularly missing free throws and missing layups. Also...KP may show good on paper for HCPM...but man he squanders a lot of possessions out there due to his lack of quickness, athleticism and definitely strength. Seems to always get the ball easily knocked out of his hands, can't grab a rebound to save his life or can't grab a lose ball that's right there to snag allowing another player to beat him to it. Drives me nuts.
    It seems obvious to me that KP is a practice player, to put it nicely, a chocker to put it rudely. He makes 3's in practice, can't in games; two straight games he has missed two straight free throws at the most critical time. He barely hit the front of the rim on the first one today. His body language at the end of games seems to say that he really wants to be taken out of the game.

He had a decent offensive rating of 97 in this game, but Ballard's is 150. I have no idea why Ballard is not in the game at the end.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

It seems obvious to me that KP is a practice player, to put it nicely, a chocker to put it rudely. He makes 3's in practice, can't in games; two straight games he has missed two straight free throws at the most critical time. He barely hit the front of the rim on the first one today. His body language at the end of games seems to say that he really wants to be taken out of the game.

He had a decent offensive rating of 97 in this game, but Ballard's is 150. I have no idea why Ballard is not in the game at the end.
      Very good post. Agree 100%. Remember when Pohto won the three point contest as a freshman?? He probably shoots 40%+ in practice.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
        I’m taking today’s loss pretty hard. Time to pop another top…

Thank for posting this, sincerely. Gave me my first Shocker Basketball good feeling in what... 5 years?

Comment

• Don't know what a "chocker" is. Our top three rebounders are DR, KP and QB. Note QB and KP are our two leading FG% players. Put them back in together and sprinkle in some Germany. Wouldn't allow BC in the game. My lineup - QB, KP, DR, Rogers and HB at PG. Sprinkle in some 3-2 zone.......maybe Rogers could play zone? Germany, XB and RD off the bench. Implement this by Wednesday night and we could win up to five of our remaining games
          Last edited by asiseeit; February 4, 2024, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
            Don't know what a "chocker" is. Our top three rebounders are DR, KP and QB. Note QB and KP are our two leading FG% players. Put them back in together and sprinkle in some Germany. Wouldn't allow BC in the game. My lineup - QB, KP, DR, Rogers and HB at PG. Sprinkle in some 3-2 zone.......maybe Rogers could play zone? Germany, XB and RD off the bench. Implement this by Wednesday night and we could win up to five of our remaining games
            This is exactly what I have been saying, except I have thought putting DeGray in there instead of KP for the starting lineup ...and bring him off the bench. I feel like Ronnie is a more active on defense and in hustle plays. BUT YES - HB at the pg position with rogers and QB and DR down low.

Comment

Don't know what a "chocker" is. Our top three rebounders are DR, KP and QB. Note QB and KP are our two leading FG% players. Put them back in together and sprinkle in some Germany. Wouldn't allow BC in the game. My lineup - QB, KP, DR, Rogers and HB at PG. Sprinkle in some 3-2 zone.......maybe Rogers could play zone? Germany, XB and RD off the bench. Implement this by Wednesday night and we could win up to five of our remaining games
              As I see it at almost 72 from my easy chair, this is a lineup to try sometimes during the game at times to see if it works. Beverly would need to keep his turnover issues to a mild roar.
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Beverly would get destroyed at PG. His handles are weaker than XB by a mile, but better than Cortes and Rogers. Trust me, I’m no XB fan.

Comment

I think you can figure out that chocker is choker. What I can't figure out is why you would want to see Germany on the floor. Did you miss the minutes he played this season? He can't play in this league. That was painfully obvious.

Comment

• Well, I don't think he is a choker or a chucker. At this point in the season I see no reason not to experiment some. My reasoning was to implement an eight man rotation leaving BC out. Have seen more than enough of him but VERY little of Germany. QB 26-28 minutes at center with 6-8 of Germany giving him a chance. KP fill as needed but start KP at PF or maybe RD doesn't matter if they both play around 20 minutes. Let the one having a better game play the last five. I'd at least like to see enough sampling of that plus HB at PG. He is a good down hill driver and does pass once in a while. That would give us a long defensive five playing zone if they would just play some now and then. Don't think we have enough quickness for M to M consistently.

Comment

Well, I don't think he is a choker or a chucker. At this point in the season I see no reason not to experiment some. My reasoning was to implement an eight man rotation leaving BC out. Have seen more than enough of him but VERY little of Germany. QB 26-28 minutes at center with 6-8 of Germany giving him a chance. KP fill as needed but start KP at PF or maybe RD doesn't matter if they both play around 20 minutes. Let the one having a better game play the last five. I'd at least like to see enough sampling of that plus HB at PG. He is a good down hill driver and does pass once in a while. That would give us a long defensive five playing zone if they would just play some now and then. Don't think we have enough quickness for M to M consistently.
                      My only challenge with giving Germany a chance at this point is that its throw away minutes. He's out of eligibility. If we are going to experiment with anyone, let's use the players that MIGHT be back next year like Joy. (yes i know different positions). At this point winning doesn't mean much, but if we can develop some players for next year that MIGHT be worth keeping. We should do it.

Comment

Well, I don't think he is a choker or a chucker. At this point in the season I see no reason not to experiment some. My reasoning was to implement an eight man rotation leaving BC out. Have seen more than enough of him but VERY little of Germany. QB 26-28 minutes at center with 6-8 of Germany giving him a chance. KP fill as needed but start KP at PF or maybe RD doesn't matter if they both play around 20 minutes. Let the one having a better game play the last five. I'd at least like to see enough sampling of that plus HB at PG. He is a good down hill driver and does pass once in a while. That would give us a long defensive five playing zone if they would just play some now and then. Don't think we have enough quickness for M to M consistently.
                        Your plan is well thought out. With our pathetic point guard situation none of it really matters anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

Your plan is well thought out. With our pathetic point guard situation none of it really matters anyway.
                          That's why we should also play Joy
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Who was it that decided Joy was a PG? I remember reading that he was a PG in an African development league. Nothing since has hinted that he's a PG. There's a big gap between guys learning to play BB in Africa and being a D1 PG.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                              Who was it that decided Joy was a PG? I remember reading that he was a PG in an African development league. Nothing since has hinted that he's a PG. There's a big gap between guys learning to play BB in Africa and being a D1 PG.
                              Not on this team. We have no PG so why not let Joy have some time. He's already shown he can be of value on the court.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I don’t understand not giving IA significant playing time. At times early this year he was contributing to our team. He is also just a Sophomore. We have several Juniors that have shown they can’t help us win.

Comment

Working...
                                X