No announcement yet.

HCPM dilemma #1: PG - Bell vs Cortes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best thing that can happen for this program is for the NCAA to extend the 2 time transfer waiver ruling for 1 more year. Let everyone have a free path out.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

We're playing for nothing this year and the young guys who could still get better and could really use game action are glued to the end of the bench.

Unless he finds multiple game changers in the portal, there will really be zero excuses as to why he doesn't play the youth.
      Already zero excuses, regardless of what MK says. ............unless you are not planning on bringing them back

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
        The best thing that can happen for this program is for the NCAA to extend the 2 time transfer waiver ruling for 1 more year. Let everyone have a free path out.
        not sure the NCAA has a say in it. The courts keep ruling that they have no authority to dictate what these athletes can and cannot do.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

not sure the NCAA has a say in it. The courts keep ruling that they have no authority to dictate what these athletes can and cannot do.
          Right, I agree, but the NCAA can also just extend it without the courts directing it.

Comment

It seems like starting DR with Ballard has been helpful. DR high energy and his solid rebounding is a plus. I also like DeGray and he will be back probably next Season and needs some minutes. It seems DeGray is in at the end of many games and really helped in our SMU only AAC win. While I like DeGray getting minutes, myself I would rater have DR in at the end of very close games. He has also been draining some 3s which other players keep trying and keep missing. He hustles and cleans glass. This is also a dilemma for me.
            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

His biggest problem is he plays a position where we're actually pretty good in terms of talent and depth. Plus when we have seen him, he hasn't been all that impressive.

When he was brought in, Ballard was a bit of a wild card in that he hadn't played much and spent most of last year injured. He's remained healthy which limits opportunities for Germany.

Also, Germany had solid numbers on a bad team where he was probably the best player. In my mind, Bell should be used a lot like Germany. Sparingly as needed off of the bench. The problem is, Germany is behind two guys that bring something to the table that really limits his opportunities, whereas Bell isn't really behind anyone because our guard play is atrocious and there's nobody forcing him to the bench.
              It's strange because we didn't even see Germany when Pohto and Ballard were playing at the same time. Germany has logged 19 minutes all season, which makes it hard to do a proper evaluation.

I agree Pohto and Ballard are probably the better options, but the team has two wins since November, so it's frustrating when minimal changes have been made.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                Cortes and it's not really close, IMO.
                Still ?

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                  It seems like starting DR with Ballard has been helpful. DR high energy and his solid rebounding is a plus. I also like DeGray and he will be back probably next Season and needs some minutes. It seems DeGray is in at the end of many games and really helped in our SMU only AAC win. While I like DeGray getting minutes, myself I would rater have DR in at the end of very close games. He has also been draining some 3s which other players keep trying and keep missing. He hustles and cleans glass. This is also a dilemma for me.
                  DR is one of only 2 people on this team that can stretch the floor. It's amazing how many guys we have that have been playing basketball their entire lives but can only shoot layups.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

i always thought the ncaa was a big pile of manure. now the courts have backed me up.

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post

i always thought the ncaa was a big pile of manure. now the courts have backed me up.
                      And probably done more harm to the game as a whole than the NCAA could ever dream of. At least from a fans perspective.

The HC at Boston College (football) took a DC job with Green Bay and basically said he was done with the college game because of NIL and the portal because coaching is less about coaching now and all about recruiting the portal and your own kids and fund raising and there's very little coaching to be done anymore. At least the NFL is about football and he can focus on football.

Heck, how many posters on here have decried all of the same things as fans? Annoyed with the fact that there's no faith in keeping your best players anymore because there's no sort of system of governance now?

If the NCAA/Courts/Congress can't figure out some level of balance, things will really go down hill. You're going to get a lot of coaches that just don't want to deal with it anymore as I'm sure that BC coach won't be the last to quit the college game for the same/similar reasons.

And based on what we've seen this year, we have a coach that doesn't coach and isn't much of a recruiter so maybe it's the perfect job for Mills going forward.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

As long as players are getting paid to play, it will be a huge mess unless they adopt some rules/restrictions around it. The NBA has salary caps and eveyone’s salaries are public. The NCAA needs to come up with a policy that makes everything transparent. If the goal is to have a P5 league and demote everyone else to D2, so be it, just get on with so we know what we’re dealing with.

Comment

Let the top 25 play as pros and establish a new amateur league with small money incentives and at least two year commitments with limited exceptions for various circumstances. Have their own AMATEUR national championship tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
                            I'm more of an XB supporter than most. I would much rather him stay and have minutes than CR. I would have rather kept Melvion Flanagan than have Cortes on the court.
                            You’re setting the bar really low, but the PG position is the most important on the team, so I’ll pass on Bell and you can go watch him suit up at Friends.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                              Let the top 25 play as pros and establish a new amateur league with small money incentives and at least two year commitments with limited exceptions for various circumstances. Have their own AMATEUR national championship tournament.
                              Yuck
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Then there is my question why Cortez blew off last year's spring semester at Oklahoma...not a good sign for success going forward. Still think his failure to play last semester probably has negatively affected his game so far.
                                Last edited by N Crestway; February 1, 2024, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X